RC poster

#8030 - more lights?

First and foremost - hearty hello!

New to the forum, but not the hobby or brand. Long story short, started with RC heli in 2012 then after a year+ landed and switched to Slash 4x4 1:10 VXL. Two years later switched to crawler (sold Slash, bought Axial SCX10 Unlimited C/R) and sticking to crawling ever since. Recently bought my 3rd crawler - long awaited TRX-4 Defender.

Now, introductions made, short bio done, we can proceed to the main topic. As great stock TRX is, it was lacking certain scale accessories so I outfitted it with #8030 light combo kit. Installed and my rig got +10 to wow factor.

While installing the kit I noticed that LED controller (#8028 individual part) has 4 slots to connect stuff, while whole combo (F/R, rock and lightbar) occupies just one slot via 3-1 wire harness. That got me thinking:

can you hop up anything else onto these free slots? Primarily I'm thinking about extra search lights for extra bling-bling?

Official site and prooduct data lacks in that regard, quick Google search didn't give expected info. I measured voltage output, reads 2.86v so I could add 3 separate circuits. I could DIY them as soldering LEDs to fit that reg output isn't diffcult.

Question is: can it be done and can that LED controller handle it. Wouldn't like to fry it on the second day, that stuff is quite expensive.

Cheers and see you around.
    Rad.
    TRX-4 Defender

RC Competitor
    I'm hopeful that you can add extra stuff into the 8028, as I plan on doing that in the near future! My (albeit limited!) understanding is that the 8028 provides a "controlled" voltage, so I'm assuming it should be OK. No doubt those more expert will comment!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC poster
    From what I read 8028 is a step down controller. 2s battery at max is 8.4v, internal BEC gives flat 6v while LED controller drops it to 2.86v (measured). I found it's because light kit LEDs don't use resistors. Usually resistor is included into the circuit to prevent LED from burning. With lowering the volts to match LED specs you can skip on that part.

The kit has 3 separate circuits:
    - front/rear light s
    - rock lights
    - lightbar

The controller has 4 double pin ports. Even when connecting everything individually there is one port free. Furthermore, all 3 circuits can be plugged into just one port, via 3-1 harness. This means that single port can handle the entire setup.

If my reasoning is correct then LED controller (8028) is simple voltage regulator and you can plug different things, provided them not exceeding 3v demand. Technically one can design simple additional circuit - few LEDs - plug it in and it would work no problem. If chosen LEDs are more power hungry just use a resistor.

Quick LEDcalculation gave me this - ex. 4 standard LEDs, 2v, 200mA, connected parallel require 4.7 ohm resistor each.

The only thing stopping me from doing it myself is that my kit is brand new and I would like to hear from more knowlegeable people.

From the trail,
    Rad
    TRX-4 Defender

RC Competitor
    I fitted the basic light kit (front and rear lights) to my Defender, and the front and rear, plus the light bar, to my wife's, both running the 8028 of course. Neither of us have the rock light kit. So I only have one item plugged into the three-in-one, my wife two. and as you say, three spare slots in the 8028. But I'm adding a set of spot lamps. My guess is that they will be OK, especially as I don't have anything else. But like you, I'll be interested to hear what the experts say!
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Competitor
    Can anyone on here enlarge on this please?
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.