RC poster

Something is wrong......

Hi guys I am having a new problem with my Tmaxx....... Thanks to the wonderful folks on here I've been able to fix all my problems I've been having. So I come to you guys again in my time of need.

So I got the spur gear and clutch bell meshed properly and haven't ate any more clutch bells, and I got my engine re-tuned and running great. However I think I mentioned before that I snapped a rear axle. I replaced it and now I am having a whole new issue. The truck starts and runs great, but when I give it fuel it takes off slowly and will not get up to speed. The motor will go to full RPM but the faster harder I pull the throttle the slower it goes. If I barely ease into it then it will slowly gain speed. It acts as if a clutch is slipping, but I have checked and rechecked the slipper and it is adjusted correctly.

The truck ran good until I snapped the axle and after replacing it it doesn't drive hardly. The inside of the transmission is clean no stripped gears. Could I have broken something else? If so what? If you guys like or think it would help I can take a short video and post it on YouTube with a link.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

With the body off look to see what is moving and what is not. Is the brake disc turning and/or the nut by the slipper turning? What axle did you replace?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    With the body off look to see what is moving and what is not. Is the brake disc turning and/or the nut by the slipper turning? What axle did you replace?
    Ok I did as you requested. The clutch bell, spur gear, slipper nut, and brake disc are all turning as they should. I replaced the rear passenger side axle, but only the pieces that slide in and out. The original yoke that connects to the diff wasn't broke so I didn't replace it.

Hold the truck still and then give it throttle. What is spinning and what is not?

Or with everything shut off, flip the truck on its top and manually spin the center shafts and hold the tires. You need to find the "break" in the system of what is moving and not.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    just curious, did you inspect the pawls that engage the pins in the transmission gears?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by REAP3R View Post
    just curious, did you inspect the pawls that engage the pins in the transmission gears?
    I put a single speed conversion in it when I broke the axle, thinking that maybe my problem was in the transmission but the gears I pulled out were just fine and it went together smoothly with the kit. No gears were slipping on the shafts inside the case either I did check that.

If the brake disc is turning, the driveshaft connected to it should be turning. Do the shafts in the center of the truck (driveshafts) turn going into the differentials?

RC poster
    If the brake disc is turning, the driveshaft connected to it should be turning. Do the shafts in the center of the truck (driveshafts) turn going into the differentials?
    Yes the driveshafts turn and the wheels turn. The more load I put on it the less they turn and the more it slips. Could it be the gears in the diffs? Would they go out at the same time?

RC Qualifier
    Diff gears were my next guess

It's possible they both went bad at the same time. If your driveshafts are turning and your wheels stop, I would say it's your differentials. I don't remember if you have the classic style or the 3.3 style. If they are the classic style they were weak already when they introduced the 2.5 engine.

RC poster
    It's possible they both went bad at the same time. If your driveshafts are turning and your wheels stop, I would say it's your differentials. I don't remember if you have the classic style or the 3.3 style. If they are the classic style they were weak already when they introduced the 2.5 engine.
    Thanks grizzly03 I appreciate the help. After some thought I found a 3.3 rolling chassis I am going to switch out the transmission, diffs, axles, and driveshafts. Hopefully that will help.

The 3.3 style driveline holds up really well.

RC poster
    Did you inspect the transmission gears?