Thread: Studded Tire

Studded Tire

Has anybody made a studded tire at home? Out of some short screws or something? I have a set of the stock slash 2wd tires that would be perfect for that.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

That's an interesting idea. You might have to unglue the tires and put a screw through the tire and glue it to keep it secure. It would definitely help in soft dirt.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

You would need to balance it though, as that could cause a NASTY vibration! Fun idea though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    That's an interesting idea. You might have to unglue the tires and put a screw through the tire and glue it to keep it secure. It would definitely help in soft dirt.
    I was thinking a small screw with a square head right? Screw it from the outside of the tire and then use a small washer and a nut on the inside to keep it together.

Traxxas Marshal
    If you do some searching in the E-Stampede sub-forum, you may find some old threads about this. I remember seeing people do such a thing back in the day for running on ice and the like.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    If you do some searching in the E-Stampede sub-forum, you may find some old threads about this. I remember seeing people do such a thing back in the day for running on ice and the like.
    Thank you ill have to take a look. When i do this ill for sure update this thread. I might be trading my 2wd vxl tsm slash for a 4x4 rustler.

RC Racer
    Laughing so hard right now. Friend of mine was working in AK for a bit and put studded tires on his 1/8 nitro. Things were great until he lost radio signal and it went WOT and turtled. He starts running towards it, but it was upside down turning 30K RPM and it starts flinging the screws out of the tires. There is no video because he had to hide behind a snow bank until the con rod broke. Moral of the story is, if you run studded tires, be sure your failsafe is on!

RC poster
    I made some studded tires last year, started experimenting by just screwing some screws in from the outside. It actually worked ok, definitely did throw some screws out tho, I'm also only driving a regular slash 4x4. Then I decided to remove the tires and screw from the inside. I put 8 smallish screws right down the middle in each tire trying to space them as evenly as possible. Balance was seemingly fine, again, slow slash backyard bashing. If I did it again I would order some new cheapo tires and rims then do the screws the same. Removing tires from rims SUCKS!

Actually, I think using the plastic Proline beadlocks would be more practical, since it is easier to remove and mount tires without the hassle of gluing.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

This gets quite a few results:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...c+tire+studded

Watched a few of them. When done right, they seem to hook up pretty well.

There was one video I watched a year or so ago that I can't find. The guy just used wheels with screws in them from the inside. Sounded awful, but hooked up really well. Not the best for jumping due to less give when landing, but good if you want to scream along at 50mph on a lake or something.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    This gets quite a few results:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...c+tire+studded

Watched a few of them. When done right, they seem to hook up pretty well.

There was one video I watched a year or so ago that I can't find. The guy just used wheels with screws in them from the inside. Sounded awful, but hooked up really well. Not the best for jumping due to less give when landing, but good if you want to scream along at 50mph on a lake or something.
    Thats what i was thinking. Using it out on the ice when were ice fishing. Waiting for a flag. You know how it is im sure.. Very slow around here most lakes. But anyways....

My plan is to get a dozen half inch screws and screw them from the outside to the inside. Then on the inside, tightening a nut down to the rubber and a dab of red loc tite. In my opinion this is gonna be a fun experiment. If i let the loctite cure, i dont think theyre gonna come off. Unless they rip through the rubber.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Actually, I think using the plastic Proline beadlocks would be more practical, since it is easier to remove and mount tires without the hassle of gluing.
    This sounds like the way to go, would be so much easier. Plus then you could switch up the studs easily for different conditions.

I used self tapping sheet metal screws and it bites hard on ice. You do have to watch the clearance of your lid on the slash tho or it will shred it

Yeah i have the integy roll cage. Thats what i was going to use with the spikes. So i dont ruin the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking. Using it out on the ice when were ice fishing. Waiting for a flag. You know how it is im sure.. Very slow around here most lakes. But anyways....

My plan is to get a dozen half inch screws and screw them from the outside to the inside. Then on the inside, tightening a nut down to the rubber and a dab of red loc tite. In my opinion this is gonna be a fun experiment. If i let the loctite cure, i dont think theyre gonna come off. Unless they rip through the rubber.

You probably don't need the nuts, they will just add weight. Centrifugal force will keep the bolts in the rubber as they will always be trying to fly to the outside.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Thats a good point. Thank you for that lol.