RC Qualifier

King Headz Motor mount creates gaps

Anyone have issues with the King Headz motor mount creating gaps when putting the gear cover back on? The gear mesh cover doesn't sit right and let's way too much debris in. The stock motor mount had zero issues with this. It almost looks like the cover isn't sitting right so it lifts up in some areas.
    I ended up siliconing a gasket and putting the cover over it and letting it dry. It worked pretty good, but sucks because I needed to fix my center shaft, so I have to remove silicone and clean the area up again. Any help would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Here's the areas that have gaps. One is over 3mm. Any help would be awesome

I have this issue on my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck and both of my Stampede 4x4 trucks. Not all of them use the king headz motor mount, but every one of them has the issue with the gear cover lifting slightly at the sides and creating gaps. So, I'm not sure it's an issue specific to the king headz mount.

The issue seems to just be a minor design flaw, with the gear cover being fairly long and oddly shaped yet only held on by one single screw in the center. That allows the sides to lift up over time as obviously plastic can flex. It seems to get worse with age. Replacing the gear cover mostly fixes the issue in the short term but eventually it will start to lift up again at the sides. This is exacerbated by the fact that by far the easiest way to remove the gear cover (after the screw has been removed) is to stick something like a flat-head screwdriver under the side and pop it off - but every time that happens it's flexing the plastic gear cover and potentially making the gap worse.

I think the solution is to probably get some kind of metal gear cover to eliminate the flex at the sides. I don't actually know if anyone makes a metal gear cover, but probably.

RC Qualifier
    Right! I though it was the gear cover and put a new one on and it was the same. You're probably right and I did't notice with the other motor mount.
    The only thing is I never had issues with sand getting in on the old plastic mount. As soon as I did with this one i could hear the sand getting in.. My memory is getting worse lol.. now I'm second guessing lol!! I'll just put a silicone bead in there again. Does help and it peels right off. This is my only RC I run in sand. Stuff is brutal.
    Thanks for the help!

RC Qualifier
    2 silicone blobs. All sealed lol