Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    24

    Question TRX-4 JX ecoboost servo surges bec system

    Hello, I'm having an issue with my TRX-4 sport where when I'm crawling the servo is insanely weak and surges the whole BEC/receiver system when it stalls and causes the shifter servo to twitch and shift into neutral. I've installed the RadioLink RC4GS controller and receiver so I could shift with endpoints set and I have the Traxxas BEC to feed it more power and I also have installed a traxxas velineon system for more speed. The servo is the JX Ecoboost 21kg. If anyone knows the reason please tell me how to fix it. I'm thinking the issue may be the receiver not being able to distribute the power and causing it to surge.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y1S...ew?usp=sharing

  2. #2
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    5
    There are no readily available info on that servo as to how much amp draw it has. Isn't the traxxas bec only 3A? It may be not enough for that servo.

    I have the same in my Arrma granite and it's fine but the stock esc has a 4Amp bec built in.

    I don't know if anyone like rc review or exocaged have had one on their servo test rig to measure amperage?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddley View Post
    Hello, I'm having an issue with my TRX-4 sport where when I'm crawling the servo is insanely weak and surges the whole BEC/receiver system when it stalls and causes the shifter servo to twitch and shift into neutral. I've installed the RadioLink RC4GS controller and receiver so I could shift with endpoints set and I have the Traxxas BEC to feed it more power and I also have installed a traxxas velineon system for more speed. The servo is the JX Ecoboost 21kg. If anyone knows the reason please tell me how to fix it. I'm thinking the issue may be the receiver not being able to distribute the power and causing it to surge.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y1S...ew?usp=sharing
    Mate, you need a high amperage BEC, and if your RX can, put the servo at 7,4v, is better overall.

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    238
    How do you have it wired? Your bec should be powering your steering servo only, and let your esc's bec power your reciever and other servos. But as others stated, the Traxxas bec most likely isn't enough.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,106
    I would get a different external BEC as the Traxxas one is rated at 3amps. The Vxl-3s has a 2.5amp internal BEC. That's only .5amp difference between the two, not worth even installing the Traxxas BEC. Also with a different BEC you could run higher voltage to the servo to gain more servo torque.

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I would get a different external BEC as the Traxxas one is rated at 3amps. The Vxl-3s has a 2.5amp internal BEC. That's only .5amp difference between the two, not worth even installing the Traxxas BEC. Also with a different BEC you could run higher voltage to the servo to gain more servo torque.
    Totally agree with this.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    How do you have it wired? Your bec should be powering your steering servo only, and let your esc's bec power your reciever and other servos. But as others stated, the Traxxas bec most likely isn't enough.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    As the Traxxas guide instructions say to wire it is how I ended up doing it. I plugged the BEC into the jst on the side of the esc and the esc bec wire into the output of the BEC and the input wire into the reciver on channel two meaning that the BEC is theoretically feeding everything 7.4v which didn't sound right to me but its the only way that works with the traxxas BEC. How I thought you should do it was you plug the servo into the output of the bec and the input of it into channel one but that didn't do anything.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I would get a different external BEC as the Traxxas one is rated at 3amps. The Vxl-3s has a 2.5amp internal BEC. That's only .5amp difference between the two, not worth even installing the Traxxas BEC. Also with a different BEC you could run higher voltage to the servo to gain more servo torque.
    I'm planning on getting the Castle BEC, it can run at around 10A with changeable voltage with my Castle link. Is that one any good?

    https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati...0047341&sr=8-5

  9. #9
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,106
    Castle Creations is a good brand. That one will work, but remember that it is not waterproof. Castle also offers a waterproof one if you play in water/mud.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddley View Post
    I'm planning on getting the Castle BEC, it can run at around 10A with changeable voltage with my Castle link. Is that one any good?

    https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati...0047341&sr=8-5
    Recommend this one:

    https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati...s%2C266&sr=8-2

    This is waterproof, so you can mount it anywhere. Just check the voltage range of your RX, make sure it can handle the voltage you want to run.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Recommend this one:

    https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati...s%2C266&sr=8-2

    This is waterproof, so you can mount it anywhere. Just check the voltage range of your RX, make sure it can handle the voltage you want to run.
    This one is better overall.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Recommend this one:

    https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati...s%2C266&sr=8-2

    This is waterproof, so you can mount it anywhere. Just check the voltage range of your RX, make sure it can handle the voltage you want to run.
    Thanks, This one programable with the castle link? I just happen to have one for other vehicles.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddley View Post
    Thanks, This one programable with the castle link? I just happen to have one for other vehicles.
    Yup, with the field link, USB CastleLink, or the Bluetooth link.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •