RC Enthusiast

Weak steering XMAXX, need help figuring it out.

Hello!

I've had my XMaxx for a week now, as of 9/14/2020. It's got roughly 4-5 hours of run time on it, mainly high speed passes and a couple jumps, but nothing like you see on youtube.

With fully charged batteries (Traxxas XMaxx batteries) my XMaxx on the ground at a stand still in grass that's about 1.5-2" tall, my XMaxx will only turn roughly 25% of the way to the left. When I turn it to the right in the same setting, it turns full right just fine.

If I pick the front wheels up, it turns full left and right just fine, no issues, no clicking sounds, no sounds of struggle, it sounds perfectly normal.

While driving, at a higher speed, the vehicle struggles to turn left, but turns right at the same speed just fine.

I've visually inspected all around the front of the vehicle and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. Everything seems to move freely and no binding either by using the servo to turn the wheels, or turning them by hand.

Anyone else had this issue? or have any information on what it might be?

Thank you.

RC Competitor
    The stock servos usually go out pretty quickly. Some people do not even test them and change them out. If i were to upgrade right now i would go with the 2085X.

RC Enthusiast
    I thought I had a bad servo too, but you might just need to do the nut trick on the servo saver. Mine came loose and i had terrible steering. On the sporing side of the saver theres a bolt runs through holding the 2 halves together. You need to add a nut to the bottom. If you search youtube theres a few videos on it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    The stock servos usually go out pretty quickly. Some people do not even test them and change them out. If i were to upgrade right now i would go with the 2085X.
    yes yes, I read this and was hoping I'd get a bit more play time out of it before I started having issues xD Thank you for your 2nd response on my 2nd post xD you're quite helpful around here!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by amihal View Post
    I thought I had a bad servo too, but you might just need to do the nut trick on the servo saver. Mine came loose and i had terrible steering. On the sporing side of the saver theres a bolt runs through holding the 2 halves together. You need to add a nut to the bottom. If you search youtube theres a few videos on it
    Yea that's something I'm definitely going to check on the truck. I'll probably dig into it this weekend and see what I can find. I don't know how it's all set up in there, and how the spring works 100%, so it's hard for me to understand how that nut coming loose would cause it to be weak in one direction, and not the other.

But that is definitely something I'm going to look into and need to find where I can find the proper bolt and nut to do it xD

RC Racer
    Buy a new servo. 2085x

RC Enthusiast
    oh I have an idea, I'm going to look at this, this evening. That little linkage that connects the servo horn? I guess? to the servo saver, the plastic one that gets replaced with metal with the high torque servo, when the wheels turn left, that gets pushed to the right, so if it's being compressed instead of pulled on, that could be why. It could be that it's bending and not transferring the power from the servo to the servo saver and then the wheels!

Will see what I find when I get home this evening

RC Champion
    The stock Xmaxx servo linkage is weak -
    it bends like a banana
    The Maxx servo saver is stronger 8947
    Hot racing Aluminum linkage works
    Atomic aluminum servo saver for the fix
    2087X metal gear servo set for the stock servo
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    I did this before I even ran the truck for the first time.

I also upgraded to the 2085X. Iíve read plenty of bad stuff about it but itís healed up great so far.

Set all the trim, endpoints, and % through the app and you should be all good.
    Last edited by c7aea; 09-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I’ve read of the piece that supports the servo saver from the bulkhead breaking and causing some steering issues. But I’d imagine that would take some serious abuse.

Definitely check that screw and replace it with a longer one and nut.

RC Racer
    I agree check this first. Simple fix.

Kevin Talbot how to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZufRihDGryw

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the replies! I checked my theory out and unfortunately it seems that would hold true if it were an issue turning to the right, since that link is squeezed between the two parts under a right turn. When turning left, it's pulled on. Soooo I guess I'll have to do some more digging. Maybe pull the front end off to get a better look.

Will definitely check out Kevin's video and do that as well. anything to make it more reliable is good xD.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by x96mustanggtx View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I checked my theory out and unfortunately it seems that would hold true if it were an issue turning to the right, since that link is squeezed between the two parts under a right turn. When turning left, it's pulled on. Soooo I guess I'll have to do some more digging. Maybe pull the front end off to get a better look.

Will definitely check out Kevin's video and do that as well. anything to make it more reliable is good xD.
    ŅDo you try to turn off the TSM?, try it.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, you are correct. I popped the body off and everything seemed fine for the first couple turns, then I guess the tired dug into the carpet enough to provide enough resistance and I could see the servo saver raising up off of it's seat. So I guess that nut came loose or stripped and will have to be repaired with the added nut on the bottom, or replaced all together.

The hot racing servo saver looks pretty xD

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, you are correct. I popped the body off and everything seemed fine for the first couple turns, then I guess the tired dug into the carpet enough to provide enough resistance and I could see the servo saver raising up off of it's seat. So I guess that nut came loose or stripped and will have to be repaired with the added nut on the bottom, or replaced all together.

The hot racing servo saver looks pretty xD
    I’ve read more people having issues with the aluminum one not working properly when dirty.

You’re going to see the servo saver rise up and compress the spring. That’s what gives to help protect the servo.

I don’t think you’ll be able to tell if that screw is an issue until it is taken apart.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
    I’ve read more people having issues with the aluminum one not working properly when dirty.

You’re going to see the servo saver rise up and compress the spring. That’s what gives to help protect the servo.

I don’t think you’ll be able to tell if that screw is an issue until it is taken apart.
    Yeah, I watched Kevin's video and I'm trying to find out where I can find a longer screw to use lol. I only have my XMaxx and a Stampede 4x4 I bought to let kids play with. no luck so far D:

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I watched Kevin's video and I'm trying to find out where I can find a longer screw to use lol. I only have my XMaxx and a Stampede 4x4 I bought to let kids play with. no luck so far D:
    I got mine (and the nuts) at Home Depot. It was a couple bucks for a 3 pack. Any local hardware store should have them.

I used one of the other ones in the pack along with some JB weld to fill in the hole in the bottom side of the bulkhead for the servo saver. Another one of Kevin’s recommendations.

RC Enthusiast
    I got mine (and the nuts) at Home Depot. It was a couple bucks for a 3 pack. Any local hardware store should have them.

I used one of the other ones in the pack along with some JB weld to fill in the hole in the bottom side of the bulkhead for the servo saver. Another one of Kevin’s recommendations.
    Thanks! I'm ordering 3 packs of the screws, and 2 packs of the nuts lol... in case I come across anyone else that needs to do the same, I'll have some spares $4.06, not a bad fix!

Just need to pick them up tomorrow and put it all in, hopefully adjust the servo saver properly lol and be good to go!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks! I'm ordering 3 packs of the screws, and 2 packs of the nuts lol... in case I come across anyone else that needs to do the same, I'll have some spares $4.06, not a bad fix!

Just need to pick them up tomorrow and put it all in, hopefully adjust the servo saver properly lol and be good to go!
    It doesn’t require any adjustment. Just tighten it down all the way.

I have the 2085X which comes with the stronger spring but if you’re brave enough you could try to shim the stock one a little like in the video too.

RC Enthusiast
    It doesn’t require any adjustment. Just tighten it down all the way.

I have the 2085X which comes with the stronger spring but if you’re brave enough you could try to shim the stock one a little like in the video too.
    I do want to look into upgrading the servo at some point, if I can keep this one going a while longer and for just a few bucks, great! I think I'll leave the tension alone for now xD unless it continues to cause troubles in the future, then I'll look into shimming it a little bit. Thanks for all the replies!