RC poster

Problem with my front wheel on my newly built trx-4 chassis kit

Hello ALL,
    I recently purchased trx4 chassis kit (this is my first ever RC I built) and I was able to finish it. I wanted to have a defender body shell so purchased the conversion kit and installed it as well.
    The issue I am having is when the front wheels are steered completely to either left or right and give it some throttle the wheels are spinning as if it is losing a spin in between. Under higher throttle, the wheel spins in the same way and I do I hear a little rattling sound.
    I do not see the issue when the steering is straight or steered up to 70% left or right.
    The link shows the issue i am talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7JEDYDaWCk

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nisanth_kom View Post
    Hello ALL,
    I recently purchased trx4 chassis kit (this is my first ever RC I built) and I was able to finish it. I wanted to have a defender body shell so purchased the conversion kit and installed it as well.
    The issue I am having is when the front wheels are steered completely to either left or right and give it some throttle the wheels are spinning as if it is losing a spin in between. Under higher throttle, the wheel spins in the same way and I do I hear a little rattling sound.
    I do not see the issue when the steering is straight or steered up to 70% left or right.
    The link shows the issue i am talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7JEDYDaWCk

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    The issue is the front wheel hubs, it rubs when the steering is in his maximum.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

This is normal, the steering turns sharper than the u-joints like, causing a bit of cogging in the drive train.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Yep, that's happens on nearly all the TRX-4s that I've seen. Both of mines had the same problem. The only way to prevent this from happening is to set the steering endpoints, but it does remove some steering angle. I only go into full lock on the steering only if I have to.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    The issue is the front wheel hubs, it rubs when the steering is in his maximum.
    Thank you for the response, any suggestions on what can be done to fix the issue.
    I did take apart all the front axle assembly and verified, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas will be great.
    Last edited by nisanth_kom; 09-15-2020 at 12:33 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

This is normal, the steering turns sharper than the u-joints like, causing a bit of cogging in the drive train.
    Thank you for the response. Doesn't this damage the front axel or the portals or the gears in the axel? Any thoughts on it?
    Last edited by nisanth_kom; 09-15-2020 at 12:34 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Yep, that's happens on nearly all the TRX-4s that I've seen. Both of mines had the same problem. The only way to prevent this from happening is to set the steering endpoints, but it does remove some steering angle. I only go into full lock on the steering only if I have to.
    Thank you for the response. Yeah, I really do not want to lose any steering angle unless I have to. I wish it can be fixed without losing any steering angle. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you for the response. Doesn't this damage the front axel or the portals or the gears in the axel? Any thoughts on it?
    The engineers at Traxxas opened up the steering as far as they could, but it is just a little too far for the u-joints not to bind. If anything, think of this kind of like a steering overdrive in that it gives you just a bit more throw if you needed. For the most part you will likely not notice it when you are driving.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

A bit of grease would make it smoother, and yes, like Greatscott said, you most likely wouldn't notice when you are driving.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Champion
    Thank you for the response, any suggestions on what can be done to fix the issue.
    I did take apart all the front axle assembly and verified, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas will be great.
    My suggestion is to limit the steering final points, as RCWilly says.