RC poster

Engine will not engage wheels on the ground

All of a sudden the truck stopped engaging. Engine wheezes loudly the more i press the throttle. It will spin the tires only if I hold the truck off the ground. Any ideas with the issue? Older Traxxas but very lightly used.

RC Racer
    Spur gear probably stripped some teeth.

Most likely a stripped gear, like Spechal said, but also check the slipper clutch, the slipper clutch may have come loose.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    @Spechal and @RCWilly - Is it possible to change out a stripped gear? I have never taken the truck apart so this will be a bit of learning.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HaddenUSAF View Post
    @Spechal and @RCWilly - Is it possible to change out a stripped gear? I have never taken the truck apart so this will be a bit of learning.
    Pretty easy fix. Step one, get the spur gear cover off and see if the gear is stripped or the clutch has just come loose.

A 2wd is fairly simple, take the rear wheels off first with a wrench (front ones can stay on). There is a dirt cover for the spur and pinion gear on the rear right side of the vehicle. It is behind the rear right shock. There are two screws holding it. Remove one screw right behind the right rear suspension arm, the other screw is directly above it, on top of the dirt cover. Here's a picture of where the screw is (it's a pic from my Slash 2wd, but the screws are in the same location):

After you have done that, remove the nut in the center of the gear holding down a spring. Remember the amount of turns it has, since it is how tight the slipper clutch is. After the nut is removed, you can pull the whole assembly apart.

For a 4wd, its a bit more complicated. You do not have to remove the wheels for this. Remove the screw in the middle of the picture first to remove the pinion/spur cover. Then remove the two screws by it (this is a pic from my Slash 4x4, but the Stampede 4x4 should have something like this):

Flip the car over, and remove the two screws on the bottom, and the rear of the truck should slide right out if you tug on it:

Then take the slipper clutch assembly out (it should look like the one on the left, the one on the right is a center diff):

Remove the three screws holding the spur gear, and replace it if needed.

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    So i took of the cover adjacent to the engine and notice the spur gear (90 tooth , 48-pitch) is stripped. Lots of lovely little plastic shreds came flying out. So I assume that should do the trick.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by HaddenUSAF View Post
    So i took of the cover adjacent to the engine and notice the spur gear (90 tooth , 48-pitch) is stripped. Lots of lovely little plastic shreds came flying out. So I assume that should do the trick.
    Well there's your problem.

Quick fix. Last time I bought a spur gear and brought my car with me, the guy at the LHS changed it in under 3 minutes. I hope to beat his record.

RC Qualifier
    Check the cogs on your pinion gear. If they are worn, you will probably blow the spur again quickly.
    Get a new pinion and place then back to back. If you’re in doubt, switch it out!