RC Competitor

Taming a brushless 3S Rally

Anybody done the Hobbywing brushless upgrade to the Rally? I'm running the little 4600kv motor and ESC, and when she's running 3S, she's uncontrollable.

I'm guessing I should dial out some of the punch, and maybe go to a bigger pinion.

Any suggestions on gearing? I'll try the 14T pinion first, to see if that helps any.

At this point, I'm thinking more top end, less grunt off the line, since this motor is so crazy powerful, compared to the little brushed motor.

Suggestions, folks?

Anybody? Anybody?

Bueller?
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC poster
    Heck with the stock motor and the bigger 7.2V NiH battery it becomes difficult to keep it in a straight line. Haven't ventured into brushless territory yet.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by ConeyRampant View Post
    Heck with the stock motor and the bigger 7.2V NiH battery it becomes difficult to keep it in a straight line. Haven't ventured into brushless territory yet.
    Right!? I doubt I'd ever see myself going BL with my Rally. I have another similar sized brushless vehicle (non-Traxxas) and it's virtually uncontrollable!

That said, less punch could help (but so could being easier on the throttle). Giving her more top end may just end up making it more uncontrollable at high speeds. Have you thought about going down to 2S? I feel like BL and 3S might just be a tad bit much for such a small platform!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    I replaced the LaTrax transmitter/receiver with a TQi with TSM setup, but haven't had time to take her out for a wring out yet. If it's anything like the 1/16 Rally, it's still going to be uncontrollable on 3S.

Traxxas Marshal
    That might help a little, but yes...I suspect that you're still correct about its uncontrollability!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    I would keep it under 4000rpm/v for a 3S setup.

RC Competitor
    I added a TQi radio setup. Just gotta get to a parking lot to test her out.