Motor cooling and surrounding areas

Hows everyone doing?
    I'm looking at upgrades anybody have any experience with these how would the motor plate and motor mount assist with cooling of the motor and everything else? waist of money or do these upgrades help alot with cooling? Really beginning to give up with these yeah racing fans

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ERV1801;c=1294

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ERV****2;c=1294

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Heatsinks work, but you must use thermal paste for proper heat transfer. Attach a fan that blows the heat away (not sucking cool air in) and you are good as it's going to get without water-cooling or something. As much of the motor you can cover (mount and casing) the better heat dispersion from the motor you will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    Heatsinks work, but you must use thermal paste for proper heat transfer. Attach a fan that blows the heat away (not sucking cool air in) and you are good as it's going to get without water-cooling or something. As much of the motor you can cover (mount and casing) the better heat dispersion from the motor you will have.
    You turn your fans so they blow away from what they're cooling? Have you ever tried reading the temps with the fan blowing in each direction to see the variation?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    You turn your fans so they blow away from what they're cooling? Have you ever tried reading the temps with the fan blowing in each direction to see the variation?

Unless you want to suck in debris, you want it blowing away. The temperature difference is about 2 degrees. Traditionally, as in computer fans, it sucks air in because there is another fan pulling air out. But you end up with dust build up and have to clean the heatsink for proper dissipation.

Unless you want to suck in debris, you want it blowing away. The temperature difference is about 2 degrees. Traditionally, as in computer fans, it sucks air in because there is another fan pulling air out. But you end up with dust build up and have to clean the heatsink for proper dissipation.
    Right. Sucking in debris will make keep it warm and reduce the effect of the fan. Mine is dirty I was just looking at it. Im going to take a q tip with alcohol and clean it tomorrow.

I have never heard anyone mounting fans to suck air away from the motor/heat sink on an RC... unless it was in a tube/tunnel or something to direct the air around the motor/heat sink to duct it, I'm not sure how great that would work. Not saying your wrong, just never heard anyone doing that on RC. Every ESC I've bought has the fan sucking air in and blowing it into the heat sink. So I do the same with my motor fans.

Either way, I run powerhobby/yeah racing dual fan heat sink's on my truck with alloy framed 30mm fans. Plastic fans tend to break the frame and flex so the blades hit stuff and break. Also, the extra aluminum makes for more of a heat sink.

Cooler: https://www.amazon.com/Powerhobby-Al.../dp/B07ZPMTZX7
    Fans I use: https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-Bil.../dp/B07FKZLWCT

To fit those fans, I have to either egg out the mounting holes on the fans or sand the sides of the frame down where the two fans meet as they are a bit thicker than plastic framed fans and the screw holes won't line up. On my outcast, I egged out the holes. On my ERBEv2, I sanded down the fan frame. Egging out the holes was much less work.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I thought having it pointed away was a little strange to me.

RC Racer
    It is abnormal. The bodies protect the ECS fan from debris so blowing air into the heatsink to clear the heat makes sense. If that's not true for the motor it will suck in granules into the ball bearings and into the heatsink fins. As well as any dirt that will eventually cake. I think the main breakdown here is I am talking about rear mounted motors like on the 2wd Slash and Stamede and such. Thermally, blowing air in is better and proven by science, so I am not trying to argue that point by any means.

RC Enthusiast
    This isn't true, thermal paste is not necessary. My heatsink runs 10f cooler than my motor without any paste. Likewise, the motor mount and blue motor plate both get very hot.

Thermal paste is for the absolute best thermal conductivity, but nowhere near necessary on this type of application.

I run my fans to push air, like everyone else, and have not gotten any debris inside the ESC or motor fans on any of my cars.

I also run the powerhobby dual fan setup as what's previously shown and I regularly break the rear fan on bad crashes. So I only run the front fan. My motor is 20f cooler than my ESC, and never gets over 160 and rarely over 150f.

Thanks, Good to know always heard of thermal paste but wasn't sure about it.

Alot of food for thought, thanks everyone for the answers.

RC Racer
    Just to be clear, the thermal paste is there to seal the heatsink to the case to remove air, which is an insulator. So, while not required, it is the proper way to use heatsinks and why most come with termal paste or have it pre-applied. I am 100% positive the motor would run cooler with thermal paste.

If your motor is inside the body, the fans should blow across the motor. If it's external, it should blow air away.

Imagine running your 2wd slash on a dirt course sucking all that dirt into your motor heatsink...

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, I agree that's its not necessary but will have better performance with it. That's a completely different statement than, "but you must use thermal paste for proper heat transfer."

My heatsink is 10f cooler than my motor, so it is clearly moving heat away efficiently. If there were insulation issues then the heatsink would be much cooler than the motor. Ultimately, my motor runs much cooler than my esc, so 5 or even a 10 degree cooler motor won't help, which is why I only run 1 fan now. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_a...ew?usp=sharing

I run my erevo is horrendously dusty conditions here in the bare wastelands of the California drought. I've had ZERO issues dirt getting into my motor heatsink. Zero issues with mud, or sand from the beach, or wet grass. The only thing I've gotten into a heatsink was a few pebbles on my Axial Capra's mamba x. I've ran my trx6 through a soft dirt hill climb where it was blanketed in dirt, zero cooling issues from a 4100kv holmes hobbies puller pro r motor that draws 150amps on 3s using a cheap ebay heatsink fan. A couple sprays of simple green and a garden hose and it looks brand new afterwards.

It seems like you're making issues out of nothing.

updated link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_a...ew?usp=sharing

Just to be clear, the thermal paste is there to seal the heatsink to the case to remove air, which is an insulator. So, while not required, it is the proper way to use heatsinks and why most come with termal paste or have it pre-applied. I am 100% positive the motor would run cooler with thermal paste.

If your motor is inside the body, the fans should blow across the motor. If it's external, it should blow air away.

Imagine running your 2wd slash on a dirt course sucking all that dirt into your motor heatsink...
    Last edited by TheFirestarter; 09-21-2020 at 03:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirestarter View Post
    Yeah, I agree that's its not necessary but will have better performance with it. That's a completely different statement than, "but you must use thermal paste for proper heat transfer."

My heatsink is 10f cooler than my motor, so it is clearly moving heat away efficiently. If there were insulation issues then the heatsink would be much cooler than the motor. Ultimately, my motor runs much cooler than my esc, so 5 or even a 10 degree cooler motor won't help, which is why I only run 1 fan now. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F_a...ew?usp=sharing

I run my erevo is horrendously dusty conditions here in the bare wastelands of the California drought. I've had ZERO issues dirt getting into my motor heatsink. Zero issues with mud, or sand from the beach, or wet grass. The only thing I've gotten into a heatsink was a few pebbles on my Axial Capra's mamba x. I've ran my trx6 through a soft dirt hill climb where it was blanketed in dirt, zero cooling issues from a 4100kv holmes hobbies puller pro r motor that draws 150amps on 3s using a cheap ebay heatsink fan. A couple sprays of simple green and a garden hose and it looks brand new afterwards.

It seems like you're making issues out of nothing.
    I didn't think so. I made a factual statement you regarded as an opinion and then I defended my facts. The statement "but you must use thermal paste for proper heat transfer" is a fact; keyword: proper.

The fan blowing away from the heatsink when there is no covering is an opinion as science shows heatsinks should have air blowing across them.
    Last edited by Spechal; 09-21-2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added an opinion.

RC Enthusiast
    You made a factual statement that was incorrect. What is "proper" heat transfer? The actual keyword is "must," which makes your statement erroneous. By stating you "must" do something, you're asserting that NO OTHER method would work for "proper" heat transfer. Which is simply incorrect.

You "must" use thermal paste for the "best" heat transfer would be a far more accurate statement. You used the word "proper" which means, "of the required type; suitable or appropriate. suitable or appropriate." Thus, your statement meant that in order to get suitable or appropriate cooling you must use thermal paste. Which is simply not true. Without thermal paste thousands of people get far more cooling than necessary.

I don't understand your second statement, I never said the fan shouldn't blow air across a heatsink.

I didn't think so. I made a factual statement you regarded as an opinion and then I defended my facts. The statement "but you must use thermal paste for proper heat transfer" is a fact; keyword: proper.

The fan blowing away from the heatsink when there is no covering is an opinion as science shows heatsinks should have air blowing across them.

RC Racer
    "Must", "for" and "proper" are all the key points in my statement. We can agree to disagree.

Iíve not seen much mention of anyone that uses thermal paste for their rc cooling options on their motors and escs. Either itís not talked about much, or just not done.

And for the people who just slap on cooling fans, they donít seem to have any issues so idk why you 2 are even arguing about it.

One last thing.

There is no right or wrong on what you do with your own Rc cars/trucks. Do whatever you like that works for you and your rcís. But most of all, do what makes you happy and have fun doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Iíve not seen much mention of anyone that uses thermal paste for their rc cooling options on their motors and escs. Either itís not talked about much, or just not done.

And for the people who just slap on cooling fans, they donít seem to have any issues so idk why you 2 are even arguing about it.

One last thing.

There is no right or wrong on what you do with your own Rc cars/trucks. Do whatever you like that works for you and your rcís. But most of all, do what makes you happy and have fun doing it.

I agree with I rarely see a mention of using thermal paste on heat sinks. To maximize cooling should one use thermal paste. Yes. Am I going to put a whole tube of my cpu artic silver on there, no. If some kind of cheap stick on thing I can get and use would I perhaps. As spending more than. 5 min increasing my cooling by 5į+ doesn't matter to me.

But each to their own and how that want their cars. We run them for what work for us and how we run em.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Motor cooling and surrounding areas

Sorry to jump in late here, and not wanting to argue semantics, but has anybody ever run their rig with thermal paste on the heat sinks? I bought a tube and tried a trial run with a 2wd rustler and it shattered after the first run.

The material seems to dry and harden to a very brittle state. I could see that being fine for a CPU, but definitely not a good fit for an RC.

Iíve had better results with thermal issues by adjusting gear ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Sorry to jump in late here, and not wanting to argue semantics, but has anybody ever run their rig with thermal paste on the heat sinks? I bought a tube and tried a trial run with a 2wd rustler and it shattered after the first run.

The material seems to dry and harden to a very brittle state. I could see that being fine for a CPU, but definitely not a good fit for an RC.

Iíve had better results with thermal issues by adjusting gear ratios.

From what I've used on CPUs thermal paste does garden and become brittle over time. Non issue on CPUs but in a rc environment I don't think cpu style thermal paste is ideal.

I feel like the thermal paste will get covered with dirt and such wouldnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I feel like the thermal paste will get covered with dirt and such wouldnt it?

If the seal was good and tight fit from heat sink to motor I think whatever dirt got in there wouldn't be a issue. Over it getting brittle.

There may be sticky thermal paste sticker type things. I got a little something like that that came with my motor temp sensor. You out between sensor and motor. But I've yet to Google and see what's out there like that.