Time to throw away?

So Iíve had this Lipo for almost 4 years now, itís was my first one actually, got it with a slash and my Rc hobby began. After 3 years of abuse, including being fully submerged in water, down a sewer, and almost all of my cars, itís gettin puffy.

Itís at about 2.8 centimeters In height, my relatively new battery is at 2.2-2.2 cm, comparisonís down below.

Is it time to part with it? Iím not sure how much bloating in a lipo is time to throw it away. I feel like Iíve seen lipos more bloated than this but is it still safe to use?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    So I’ve had this Lipo for almost 4 years now, it’s was my first one actually, got it with a slash and my Rc hobby began. After 3 years of abuse, including being fully submerged in water, down a sewer, and almost all of my cars, it’s gettin puffy.

It’s at about 2.8 centimeters In height, my relatively new battery is at 2.2-2.2 cm, comparison’s down below.

Is it time to part with it? I’m not sure how much bloating in a lipo is time to throw it away. I feel like I’ve seen lipos more bloated than this but is it still safe to use?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
    ŅHow many charge cicles has it?

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    ŅHow many charge cicles has it?
    Iím not sure, but a good amount.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Well he said hes had it for a few years so i would say if you regularly use it, that's got to be at least 200 cycles.

365 days in a year. If you cycled it only one time per week, thats 208 cycles in 4 years..

If it was mine and it was starting to swell, I would get rid of it. Thats basically a fire bomb that you dont know when it could go off. It could happen when your charging or discharging or best case scenario, using it.. Worst case scenario would be that it could burn your house down and maybe even hurt family if you don't use a charge bag..

That kind of fire is extremely hot.. And water can make that sort of fire even worse. Im not a fireman so i dont know why or the science behind it, but i do know that if you mix certain types of fires with water, it can make it much worse.

But.. Like i said if it was me, i would recycle that battery at a recycle center near you sooner than later. My town dump (transfer station) is also a recycle station.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Well I just made the biggest screw up of my rc life,

For some reason my axe system got its low voltage detection turned off, fully discharged a lipo, went on to another pack that I thought was full, ran it for about 5 min and overdischarged that one, went back to charge them and realized what I've done.
    Thats 140 dollars lost

Not going to try to ressurect them
    1. I don't "have" a Nimh charger, I found this old one from a toy grade but didnt work

2. the lipos are kinda old and I don't want to risk a fire

So how do I throw em away? I don't really want to go to a battery collection center that's kind of far, yet I don't want to put anbody in danger by just throwing it in the trash. I've heard leaving them in salt water for a long time works, any other methods?

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Well I just made the biggest screw up of my rc life,

For some reason my axe system got its low voltage detection turned off, fully discharged a lipo, went on to another pack that I thought was full, ran it for about 5 min and overdischarged that one, went back to charge them and realized what I've done.
    Thats 140 dollars lost

Not going to try to ressurect them
    1. I don't "have" a Nimh charger, I found this old one from a toy grade but didnt work

2. the lipos are kinda old and I don't want to risk a fire

So how do I throw em away? I don't really want to go to a battery collection center that's kind of far, yet I don't want to put anbody in danger by just throwing it in the trash. I've heard leaving them in salt water for a long time works, any other methods?
    Yikes, the best way to dispose of it is probably go to the local battery recycling center, but you could also bring it to a local hobby shop to dispose of it. Some hobby shops do it with a certain fee or something.

I would also get rid of all puffy LiPos even if they cost hundreds because just one fire can be able to bring down your whole house.

My first and only LiPo fire happened when my RC Plane (1/10 scale HobbyZone Apprentice S) took a dive (it crashed from about the height of a redwood tree on the nose of the aircraft), and the battery immediately started smoking and started spraying flames seconds after. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve the main parts of the plane. It burned for a pretty long time, I would say at least five minutes, and it was only a 1300 mah 3s LiPo.

If a LiPo fire does happen, avoid water, since lithium is highly reactive with water (the oxygen in the water to be specific). The best way to put one out is to cover the battery with dirt or sand to create a barrier between the exposed lithium and oxygen, and don't let it get exposed to oxygen (probably should call the fire department to properly handle the rest of it).

For getting new LiPos, you don't have to get the expensive ones. There are several cheaper options on Amazon that are pretty reputable in quality, despite them being at a low price (Zeee batteries have pretty good reviews). As long as the charger works as it should, and the LVC on the ESC works properly, there shouldn't be any problems with using cheap batteries.

Wish you the best of luck!

That kind of fire is extremely hot.. And water can make that sort of fire even worse. Im not a fireman so i dont know why or the science behind it, but i do know that if you mix certain types of fires with water, it can make it much worse.
    In this case, water will definitely not do much, since lithium is very reactive to oxygen. Lithium reacts with oxygen to form lithium-oxide, and nitrogen to form lithium-nitride. It reacts with water to form lithium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. All of these byproducts (with the exception of hydrogen gas) are very corrosive and toxic, so it's best to prevent these fires in the first place.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 09-16-2020 at 02:05 AM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    I use a battery checker to "inspect" my batteries. The internal resistance should match between cells and be LOW.
    All lipos should be stored like you are about to have a fire. I use ammo cans and cinder blocks... do NOT seal up an ammo can w/ a lipo in it make sure it can vent.
    Cinder blocks w/ a plastic bag of sand on top is a VERY safe way to store Lipos. If one lights up the bag melts and the sand puts out the fire.

Yeah, I have a couple of other branded batteries that are cheaper for my other rigs,s still charge them with the Traxxas charger. I don't really want to get a whole new charger yet, and most of my traxxas cars still has the traxxas plugs especially my TRX4s, so I still need a couple of Traxxas lipos.

I've been using lipo bags, but they're becomign stuffed, I go pick up an ammo can, seems to be able to store a lot more lipos.
    So do I just drill a couple of holes on the top or sides to vent out the pressure in case it catches fire?

RC Competitor
    I just remove 1 or two 1 inch pieces of the gasket.
    That way it will still close right and NOT hold pressure.
    Then I put it somewhere non flamable. I likes me some cinder blocks... I guess I never got over tinker toys.
    Ive seen a few Lipo Bag tests and they don't impress me much.
    If you have a few minutes check out lipo bag test on youtube.

I did, thatís part of the reason why I want to make a switch.

Do you figure leaving it in the centerish area of my garage will work? I figure that if I put the can at least 4 ft away from other flammable as would do.

RC Enthusiast
    my experience with the lipo bags have been pretty good. when I first got mine I hit it with a oxy propane cutting torch for a little bit it did not melt so its good on that part. still good to store in a metal box away from anything flammable but they are great for transporting batteries in the car. also dont store multiple batteries in one spot so they cant chain react to a super hot fire. I keep mine in an old flammables cabinet it has a vent with mesh in it that air can pass but fire cannot. ammo cans work great but should be used in conjunction with lipo bags limiting yourself to 1-2 batteries per bag. the biggest problem is chain reacting a whole stack of batteries. when its just one going off you just have the jet of hot gas and fire to deal with for a few seconds. the lipo bags can survive one meltdown but 4 or 5 going off at once will melt most things. tldr dont store all your eggs in one basket

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    my experience with the lipo bags have been pretty good. when I first got mine I hit it with a oxy propane cutting torch for a little bit it did not melt so its good on that part. still good to store in a metal box away from anything flammable but they are great for transporting batteries in the car. also dont store multiple batteries in one spot so they cant chain react to a super hot fire. I keep mine in an old flammables cabinet it has a vent with mesh in it that air can pass but fire cannot. ammo cans work great but should be used in conjunction with lipo bags limiting yourself to 1-2 batteries per bag. the biggest problem is chain reacting a whole stack of batteries. when its just one going off you just have the jet of hot gas and fire to deal with for a few seconds. the lipo bags can survive one meltdown but 4 or 5 going off at once will melt most things. tldr dont store all your eggs in one basket
    will 30 gallons of water help with a damaged lipo battery?

i don't have a car and if anything happened all i would have to do is get it outside

but this would be just incase

i keep my batteries at loooow voltage all the time

better the battery than me

lol
    "Speed and power solve many things"

Quote Originally Posted by LargeCar1999 View Post
    will 30 gallons of water help with a damaged lipo battery?

i don't have a car and if anything happened all i would have to do is get it outside

but this would be just incase

i keep my batteries at loooow voltage all the time

better the battery than me

lol
    Water will actually make the flames worse since lithium also reacts with water. I would just have a bag of dirt or a bag of sand ready to pile on top if it burns. The battery ignites very fast once it starts smoking, so it's best to leave it or be quick to get it outside within seconds.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 09-17-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Water will actually make the flames worse since lithium also reacts with water. I would just have a bag of dirt or a bag of sand ready to pile on top if it burns. The battery ignites very fast once it starts smoking, so it's best to leave it or be quick to get it outside within seconds.
    Yep, lithium batteries have almost explosive flames, and water doesn't put it out.
    Salt water is used only to discharge the lipos to zero voltage if you don't have any other options, and not to repair them.

RC Competitor
    I just made an ammo can for charging and storage

I like that you put all the different stickers you get on the box.

RC Enthusiast
    get a couple ammo cans dont store all your batteries in one spot. if one goes they all go and that will be enough to melt an ammo can.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I like that you put all the different stickers you get on the box.

Yeah I was starting to get a collection and wondering what to do with them

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    get a couple ammo cans dont store all your batteries in one spot. if one goes they all go and that will be enough to melt an ammo can.
    Fair call, Iíll work on getting another