RC poster

Cool How did you get into this hobby?

Whats up yall!

Just curious about the many paths that may lead into this hobby. Me personally I have LOVED cars since I was a kid. To make a long story short, most of my time (and funding) goes towards school. As much as i love modifying my 1:1 scale, the RC hobby was the next best logical and economical choice. When i was younger I had non-hobby grade RC's and well you know how that is. Never got into hobby grade because i thought it was more expensive that it actually is. I mean you know, its cheaper than "normal" hobbies. Anyways I love exercising but hate cardio. Bought my first hobby grade Traxxas to accompany me on long walks around the neighborhood. I LOVE THIS HOBBY AND IM SO HAPPY I FOUND IT ! I get to live my alter ego as a street racer, work on cars in a more efficient way, and have something to do besides watch TV.

P.S. I just converted to brushless

RC Racer
    The 1995 Tyco Richochet was my first RC car. It was intended to be bashed. I was never into racing. I don't understand turning left for three hours. My son liked messing with RC cars so I started buying them from Target and such and they would be okay ... I would eventually increase the voltage and break the gearing. That happened on and off for a couple of years. Now we use hobby grade and his enjoyment is much more since I let him "drive it like he stole it". I destroy cars, so replaceable parts is a must. It lets out my inner child, rage, and ingenuity. After I break it, I have to fix it so it's a responsibility too. Something I personally have to work on daily. I am also teaching him how to work on them. It's a journey as we are both high functioning autistics with adhd.

RC Competitor
    My dad gave me a Tamiya Frog when I was about 17.
    Darn near burned my 68 Charger to the ground charging batteries w/ a wind timer under the hood.
    That was MANY thousands of RC dollars ago. I recently got back into RC cars when the law made flying my racing quads a pain in the tuccas. Still have not finished and FPV car setup.

When i was young my cousin had a big grave digger monster truck that was about on its last leg for sale at a yard sale. My dad bought it for me and I wanted one since then. Im now 24.

Some years back a close friend up the street had what i now know was a 4x4 slash. He had two of them. From then on i really wanted one but just never could save enough for one.

Well this year with the whole covid issue, I got laid off from work. Well they gave us 600$ a week and my girlfriend also got laid off. So 1200$ a week was cool. We have minimal bills.

I live above my nana and pay 100 a week to live here. Along with electricity, water, and any other amenities. No car payment or house bill. Long story short, along with saving 600 a week, I had more than enough to by my own slash.

I bought the 2wd rtr short course truck. I love it. I work on it quite often. But my dream is to be a mechanic so really, i enjoy the new challenges.

Knowing what i know about them now, and driving where i drive, a 4x4 slash would've been much more practical. But im happy with what i have.

Im also happy theres a huge community supporting the matter.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I started off with an old bandit with an analog speed control and a back chassis.

I loved RC when I was a kid (1990's). I had a Tyco Fast Traxx and a Nikko Brat buggy. Eventually I bought a used RC10 from the local hobby shop. I didn't own any Traxxas vehicles back then. Around the year 2000 or so, most of my cars were in a state of disrepair or had been glued back together so many times that they were too fragile to actually use anymore. The only hobby-grade vehicle I had, the RC10, had an issue that I was too lazy to diagnose, and I sold it to a friend.

Mid-90's Nikko Brat (can't bring myself to throw it away):

About 10 years ago, my friend and I decided to get back into the hobby. He worked at a motorcycle shop that had some kind of promotion going for Traxxas vehicles with special branded bodies. He picked up a 2wd Slash. I was still filled with nostalgia about the old RC10 that I had as a kid so I picked up a new RC10 (RC10B4.1). I found out the hard way that the RC10 was really built with the track in mind and was simply too fragile to use as a general basher, especially with brushless power and LiPo (two things I didn't have back in the 90's). Even trying to harden it with as many after-market parts as possible, it was a losing battle.

So I decided to go a different route. My friend's 2wd Slash had left a good impression on me and changed some very old notions that I had about Traxxas, although the oversized body / miniature tires short-course truck style didn't really appeal much to me. I spent some quality time researching what would be the best fit for me, extended my budget a bit, and bought a Stampede 4x4 VXL.

The Stampede 4x4 VXL turned out to be an amazing fit for me and everything I wanted from this hobby. It's pretty much been all Traxxas since then. I still have my RC10, but it's been a shelf-queen for a long time now. I've since converted my Stampede 4x4 into a Slash 4x4 Monster Truck, built another Stampede 4x4 from spare parts, fully upgraded that Stampede 4x4, and then built another Stampede 4x4 from spare parts. I also bought a Rustler VXL from my friend when he decided to downsize, and have upgraded that a bunch also.

RC Racer
    I always had hand me down cars from my brothers. Still have a couple, I have a Tyco Turbo Hopper and a Tyco Turbo Indy Car, also an old Tyco Tantrum too, but the battery is shot. I'm sure there were others, but I can't think of them now. My brother got me interested in hobby size about 15 years ago. He had a nitro model (not sure what brand or anything though) and I was amazed at how fast and fun it was! I've wanted a hobby grade one since, so last year I bought a Rustler 4x4 VXL. I've proceeded to break and fix it since lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    My first car was a nitro Testors Sprite Indy car I saved bottle caps for and paid a small amount for shipping. This was around 1970. It was a tether car so it was rather boring compared to the electronics and radio controlled stuff of today. I ran it a short time and the engine blew up. Testors did send a replacement engine for free. All the decals came off because of the nitro fuel/oil it sprayed out. The fake plastic exhaust pipes broke off and I think I replaced the fuel tank in it too for some reason. I remember having a hard time finding one to fit. (There was no internet then) My next car was a Kyosho Outlaw Raider kit I put together in the early 90's that my son loved. He drove that thing until the bushings in it were worn out. Ten years later I lost both those cars in a house fire. My son always talked about that car so I got him a Slash VXL for christmas about ten years ago then later that year I bought myself a Slayer. It has snowballed from there. I now own over 30 cars, mostly SCT, Trophy/Desert trucks and now getting into drag cars (7). And if you are curious I am almost 64 years young and still enjoy tinkering with rc cars. Much easier than working on my 69 Charger that i've had since I was 16.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    It's quite a story, will try to keep it short.

As a kid (5-7 yo) I had that wire controlled LUNOKHOD which looked more like a pot on a wheels than real RC. Having that I wished it could move without cable. Years later, primary/highschool I was into plastic planes and helis models, still wishing they could do more than just sit on a shelf.

Fast forward to adulthood, wife, kid, own house with garden, totally forgot about RCs. Until one day my neighbour pulled out his 1.5m wingspan plane and was testing after some motor swap. Woo, how cool is that. Radio controlled, remote! I immediately recalled all the childhood wishes. Decided to get an RC for myself.

My first ever RC was a heli - CopterX 450 SE. I wanted something that flies and won't ran away too quick. Planes were a no-go for that reason + it requiresw a lot of space to operate. Heli was optimal. Bought a kit, lots of electronics, cheap but reliable 9x radio and started assembling and settig it up. No prior knowledge or experience - learning on the go. Two weeks later I was ready for my first flight. i played with it for the next 1.5 years, attempt to fly, mostly crash and perform repairs later. I spent more time waiting for parts and reassembling than actual flying.

Dishearthened by the lack of progress - helis are difficult, slight mistake and costly crash occurs - I started to look after something more safe and less likely to damage within first 5 minutes. Back then I found some RC truck channels and discovered 4x4's.

First it was solid axle trucks, mudding, trailing, driving through water. That felt weird, delicate electronics submerged in all that nasty stuff. Also - boooriiing. Wanted more action. Found it in another video. Fast, agile, resilient. Fell for it immediately and within month made decision, found real bargain and bought. Brand new...

Traxxas Slash 4x4, VXL, 1:10 scale (Jerry Whelchel tho wanted that red one...) (I believe it was this one).

And I had tons of fun with it. I live in suburban, rural area, developing - lots of new houses but somewhat lacking in road infrastructure, perfect place for a Slash. Lots of bumpy dirt roads. In the following moths I've been literally killing 5200 mah 2s LiPos I had. I'm amazed how durable Slash was, much abuse and all I had to replace was one bent shock shaft - thick branch got between shock and arm, sticking outside made a leverage and bent it. Straightened it with a hammer but decided to get new one.

In the meantime road infractructure got better, still dirt but after road roller treatment. Holes filled, rolled - more even, less fun. I found I'm driving less and less, more slowly as it ran away fast. Wanted something more calm, able to drive through grass or roots. Took Slash to the forest, while on trail it was ok, on roots: too much speed, not enought grip.

Sold Slash for a really good price after nearly 2 years of use. Price difference was less than $50 so (without additional cost like batteries), almost 2 years of fun costed me less than $50. The next year I bought second hand Axial SCX-10, 1:10, Ultimate C/R with custom made trailer, lower body interior (inner fenders and sides), additional light (on top of full Rigid lightbar and hood search lights) and a driver. Another bargain, despite used it was brand new, never on trail. Originally bought as an Expo truck, slightly modified, used once or twice on RC fairs on the carpet. Guy was sellin gto get funds on another project. Pristine condition for a price of a used Honcho.

Been using it ever since, adding my DIY mods. One day wanted to clean it up and maybe mod it slightly, upgrade. Ordered some parts and decided to get new axles - SCX-10.2 was long on the market nad had better looking axles. In the end I bought whole Builder's Kit, making it my 2nd RC. Noww it's fully assebled and outfitted with custom electronics. Just missing the body but thinking about scratch build.

It was last year. About a month ago I bough, just on a whim, fed up with waiting and only postponing it:

Traxxas TRX-4 Defender (red)

I'm loving it. Spent lots of cash on it but it was totally worth it. Been salivating over this truck the day it was released. Whole 3 years. Now I said: enough. And got one.

SCX-10 Ultimate is now sitting on shelf, collecting dust, gutted of receiver which went to SCX-10.2. SCX-10.2 sitting on shelf, still awaiting body and new steering horn. While I'm driving TRX-4 and going crazy with accessories. So far I got fuel intake, door handles (can't find hinges, no stock where I live), metal diff covers and bottom skid plate and most expensive so far - official light kit - full kit with F/R lights, rock lights and light bar with module. In long term mail I'm expecting trailer hinge and a set of awesome looking alu beadlock rims. I also exchanged original grey shocks for red ones (oiless which I bought for SCX-10.2).

And this is how I got into this hobby.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-25-2020 at 01:07 AM. Reason: language abuse
    TRX-4 Defender

12y ago A buddy gave me a old grasshopper. Batteries didn't last long at all, so went to a hobby store to buy a battery or two, and ended up getting a 2wd brushed rustler.

Many nmhi batteries later to have some run time. Lipos were just starting to come out and expensive so never got one.

After getting tired of charging all day for 1h of run time. Has had a crappy charger. I got a nitro slayer 4x4 pro. Had lots of fun with it. And the kids had fun as well in the cul-de-sac. But never able to keep it running right.

Moved and didn't have a place to run it near by anymore so it mostly sat unless camping and would always break or need something.

After 5y and a new house with a park next door, looked at getting a new car and lipos. Got a erevo2 and had a blast. Needed tires and guy selling some cheap also had a brushed Merv at the right price so got that. As rusty couldn't go where the erevo2 went. Of course merv got a motor and esc upgrade to keep up with the erevo2

Then found a used but in brand new condition xmaxx for a steal in jan. Been ripping that up and been my go to car.

This summer convert the old rusty that never saw action anymore to brushless and lipo and tsm

Some good bmx ramps later for high flying fun. take the fleet out on sessions and see who comes back not broken. Almost need a second job to keep buy parts and more time in the day to fix all the cars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Started in 2006 my wife bought me a model car to make for Christmas same year I bought a Radio Shack Propulse. It sat on shelf until 2018 when I bought a new battery and that was it. I have ten RCs now and have built many model cars since 2006. Both hobbies go hand and hand. By the way I’m 60.
    Fred Boylstein
    79 Goldwing
    VMAX

RC Competitor
    At one time I had a neighbor who was a Snap-on tool distributor who drove around to local shops in the area selling tools..saw him out one day with a Snap-on edition Traxxas Slash...walked over talked a little bit and my first 3 RC's were a Snap-on Stampede (which I still own) a Snap-on Slash (which I still own) and a Snap-on Spartan...the Spartan was sold as I got tired of swimming to go retrieve it!
    Been in the hobby ever since..have 7 Traxxas vehicles right now