RC poster

Question Motor Mount Screw Replacement

Hello guys,

I bought 2nd hand Stampede 4x4, and it seems the motor mount screw not to be the standard screw. According to the drawings it should be a 5142, which I don't have.

I received it with a counter sink screw, which seemed like a bad idea. I replaced it with a button head (I think that's what it's called, my lingo is rusty). Here is a picture. Do you think this will be strong enough to hold the motor in place? Should I add a washer?

For some additional info, it has a weaker ESC and motor as well. It's a Carmaxx 4000kv motor with Carmaxx 60SL ESC. So the screw does not need to handle the forces of the Velineon engine.

That screw will probably work, but you should definitely use a washer.

RC poster
    Will do. Thanks!

I would just use a good 2.5mm cap head screw with a thick washer (3mm thread). A button head won't let you get much leverage to tighten it without stripping. I usually replace that screw with a new one after taking the motor out a couple times anyway just because of the force I use to tighten it.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    I don't have thick washers, but I'll definitely replace the button head with a cap head and use a washer.

Stack up 2 or 3 normal washers. That's what I do. I also use locktite, but I have the kingheadz mount which is aluminum. Guessing the stock one has a M3 nut in it, but I'd still use locktite.

RC poster
    What locktite do you use then? If the screw gets stuck in the nut it's going to be a problem. I'll have to break something to remove it. For now I'll rather not use locktite.

Yeah, would be problematic on the stock mount. I use blue gel loctite usually. Orange liquid if it's something the tends to come loose even with the blue.

RC Qualifier
    I use the Blue Medium strength unless I get annoyed then I use red.

You should get a package of 3 and 4 mm flat washers, lock washers, and unlock nuts. If it screws into plastic I just put a flat and lock washer on them if they fit.

If a screw goes into metal then they get a dab of locktite in addition to the washers.

I build for durability so nothing can come loose.

Definitely use a cap head screw with a flat and lock washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk