RC Enthusiast

Ford Mustang Body Paint/Assembly?

Just picked up a vxl along with the mustang body. My question is for anyone who has painted/assembled their own body. Did you paint the body then attach the bumper with the double sided tape? I am curious if anyone has had any issues with the tape sticking to the painted body. Thanks in advance

By bumper, do you mean the foam bumper or a "bumper" that is supposed to be part of the lexan body?

I did not use the Mustang body, I went with another aftermarket body not made by Traxxas, so I am not sure if it has separate pieces of lexan that makes up the body. But if the "bumper" is a separate piece, there should be double-sided tape included in the packaging for that purpose. If you are having trouble with the tape sticking, you might want to wipe the surface with rubbing alcohol first to clean it up a bit. Having a rough surface from the paint could also be the problem, which you can solve with using very fine sand paper.

If you mean the foam bumper, then it is not supposed to be attached with double sided tape (or any type of tape for that matter). The foam bumper isn't meant to touch the body. It's designed to cushion the body if it folds during a crash.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    By bumper, do you mean the foam bumper or a "bumper" that is supposed to be part of the lexan body?

I did not use the Mustang body, I went with another aftermarket body not made by Traxxas, so I am not sure if it has separate pieces of lexan that makes up the body. But if the "bumper" is a separate piece, there should be double-sided tape included in the packaging for that purpose. If you are having trouble with the tape sticking, you might want to wipe the surface with rubbing alcohol first to clean it up a bit. Having a rough surface from the paint could also be the problem, which you can solve with using very fine sand paper.

If you mean the foam bumper, then it is not supposed to be attached with double sided tape (or any type of tape for that matter). The foam bumper isn't meant to touch the body. It's designed to cushion the body if it folds during a crash.
    Appreciate the response but that is why I mentioned someone who has painted/assembled this body. The "bumper" I'm referring to is a separate back lexan piece which makes up the back "bumper". No I do not mean the foam "bumper" for impacts that is already attached to the chassis.

Maybe this video could help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtCuRDiUKK4

It's not the same body, but it is another body for the 4 Tec 2.0 made by Traxxas.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    I have with clear bodies, I use tape to put it in place and shoe goo and drywall tape to reinforce it. You just have to be careful not to let the glue react to the paint. Dont smear the "goo" on too hard. I painted both my bodies with plastidip.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys