RC poster

1/16 e revo vxl 2-3 minute runtime

hey guys im fairly new to rc, about one year in and for some reason my merv's runtime is only about 2-3 minutes. its the same for both 2s lipos that I have. i dont run them together. today i got a hobbywing esc and it is great but it still only last about 2-3 minutes. i am not overgeared whatsoever. could it be my batteries? charger? please help.

How is your gear mesh, axles and bearings? Any binding can create extra load on your system. Make sure you have no extra resistance while rolling.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    I have recently checked my bearings and cleaned them out, my gear mesh is set correctly and the axles are fine.

Do you have a way to check the voltage of the batteries? If your runtime was 2-3min with the old ESC and then you still get 2-3min with a new ESC, I would say it's your batteries or charger.

RC poster
    how could i check the voltage?

RC poster
    the batteries that i use are 7.4v 1500mah 2s lipos.

Does your charger display the voltage? What happens when the 2-3mins are up? Does the ESC say low voltage or something else?

RC poster
    i have a crappy 5$ charger when the red light goes off on the charger the charge is done lol.

RC poster
    i do know that a red light was flashing on the old traxxas esc when it stopped

RC poster
    also the charges do seem half as long as they used to. i guess that means its the charger?

Bad batteries will do that too. Without a way to check the voltage it could be either.

To see if the charger is bad you would need to know what the battery voltage is before charging and then after charging. A charged 2s LiPo would be 8.4volts.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 09-17-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: how to check

RC poster
    could i use a multimeter?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaluke16 View Post
    could i use a multimeter?
    Yes. That would work great.

RC poster
    ok i will try that tonight.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaluke16 View Post
    i have a crappy 5$ charger when the red light goes off on the charger the charge is done lol.
    I'm certainly no battery expert, but a cheap charger & Lipo batteries is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Balance charged Lipos can last for ages, but if not balanced charged properly & then left flat after use as opposed to being charged to a sensible voltage before shelving, you're just gonna kill em.

I'd guess your batteries are getting tired due to the charger.

RC poster
    I used the multimeter. both the batteries were at 8.4v.

Can you set the LVD levels on the ESC? Maybe it’s set too high?

I'm thinking your batteries are bad. Is your ESC going into Low voltage protection?

I have found these little devices real useful to get a general idea of battery level plus many other uses in projects.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Hop-u...436605&sr=8-20

Seeing what the voltage is at varies times during your run lets you get an idea of how your model consumes its battery. If you can mount it in the vehicle you can even use it to see the voltage drop while on throttle which can indicate a faulty battery.

These won't replace a multimeter because they just are not that accurate but good enough for when the meter is not around or you don't want to damage it. Plus these also display each cells voltage like a slideshow. Pictures timed to display total voltage from this 2s battery not fully charged.
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-18-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have found these little devices real useful to get a general idea of battery level plus many other uses in projects.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Hop-u...436605&sr=8-20

Seeing what the voltage is at varies times during your run lets you get an idea of how your model consumes its battery. If you can mount it in the vehicle you can even use it to see the voltage drop while on throttle which can indicate a faulty battery.

These won't replace a multimeter because they just are not that accurate but good enough for when the meter is not around or you don't want to damage it. Plus these also display each cells voltage like a slideshow. Pictures timed to display total voltage from this 2s battery not fully charged.
    I forget about these little devices. They would be perfect for issues like in this thread (and others), checking voltage while in use as a diagnostic tool.

RC poster
    Cool. I'm Canadian but i know where i can get one. thank you so much guys. One thing I forgot to tell you guys is that the car takes a long time to slow down like a rolling stop.

RC poster
    ok in canada the lipo voltage alarms cost about $14 canadian so i dont think im going to get one. i used my multi meter after the run and the battery was really hot but the voltage was nly somewhere around 7.6v ish. I have no idea wha this means but I hope you guys do

A hot battery is not good. Was the motor and/or the ESC hot also?

RC poster
    they were warm enough like usual