RC poster

EZ-Peak charger - battery or cell voltage is too high or too low

My LiPO battery stopped charging on an EZ-Peak charger. The red light is flashing indicating that "The battery or cell voltage
    is too high or too low to charge safely."

I measured the voltage on the battery and it's 4.76v
    The battery and charger is not even 6 month old.
    Can something be done, or do I need to spend another $100 on a new battery?

I think that's a pretty high voltage. Is that per cell or the whole battery?

I believe the highest you want to see per cell is 4.2v

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Calebs0615; 09-17-2020 at 08:05 PM.

RC poster
    That's the whole battery, I don't really know how to measure per cell...

That's a low voltage. I think most chargers won't charge a LiPo battery that has gone below 3.0volts per cell.

That would be 6volts for a 2s battery
    that would be 9volts for a 3s battery

RC poster
    So let me get it straight:
    If I don't use the car for some time and the battery discharges below a certain voltage –*I lose a $100 battery?
    And there's no way to recharge it? this just sounds crazy.

RC Racer
    The battery should be stored at 3.85 volts per cell and it would take a long time for it to dip below 3 volts per cell is it was functioning properly.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by taralex View Post
    If I don't use the car for some time and the battery discharges below a certain voltage *I lose a $100 battery?
    That's why storage charging is so important.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If I don't use the car for some time and the battery discharges below a certain voltage *I lose a $100 battery?
    You should read up on LiPo battery care. They are not like a NiMh or NiCd where you can run them till the vehicle won't move anymore, leave them in storage, then charge them when ready to use again. If your ESC is not in LiPo mode you could run the LiPo batteries below the 3volts, then that could ruin the batteries. Proper care is needed for long term life.

Some people have been able to recover low voltage LiPo batteries, but most times the batteries are never the same especially the farther from 3volts they are. IMHO I wouldn't take risk in a battery as low as yours @4.7v for a 2s battery. If it's a 3s or higher Lipo that is a very low voltage. (You never told us what size battery you have)

FWIW: I have LiPo batteries that have been in storage near 10years now and still are well above the 3volts.

This is my process. Some peoples processes will be different of course.

What i do is this. If im going to use my truck, I will balance charge. ...NEVER. EVER FAST CHARGE... And use it.

If i use it until it hits low voltage, ill wait an hour or so and plug it in on storage or balance. If I don't hit low voltage, then i think if im going to use the full battery within the next day. If i don't think im going to use it up, i set on storage charge until its done. And take it off. I use to leave it plugged in even though it was done and was told that was not the best idea. It's sometimes to your advantage, to take people's advice because they've had the experience.

I've left my battery on storage voltage for a week before and had no issues with it.

I'm guessing you may have run it without low voltage detection on, or it sat for like years without a charge cycle after being in storage mode.

If you find that its been sitting for a while and you still don't feel like using it, just charge it up and set it back to storage charge once its full. And unplug when you're done.

Its too bad you lost a battery.. But like the last guy said, you really should learn, at very minimum, the basics of lipo batteries. They're actually quite easy to care for if you know what you're doing.

RC poster
    Thanks!
    Mine is a 4-cell, so I guess no hope here.

Thanks!
    Mine is a 4-cell, so I guess no hope here.
    Yeah I dont think so. I would get rid of that and in the mean time, probably leave it outside away from anything that means anything to you

This may help:

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein