RC Racer

First paint job - masking tape recommendations

I haven't painted a car in 20 years, let alone the inside of one. I used to do model cars, but this is a bit different. What masking tape do you find most effective? I usually use green Frog tape when doing canvas or house painting, the blue 3M tape when I don't care so much about bleed lines.

I picked up some Tamiya tape, but have heard Testors is great too. My problem with the Frog tape is that some glue gets left behind and I have to try to clean that off before the next coat.

On a side note, it was like $30 for the body and $30 for the paint to fix this:

I go in to get more white paint today and they have the body I bought the car for back in stock for $50.

RC Racer
    I really like the paint job on the green body! It looks awesome! I used blue tape on my rc body for the lines, and duct tape to reinforce it. You might be able to save the fox body for when you are bashing really hard and don't want to damage the green one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    I really like the paint job on the green body! It looks awesome! I used blue tape on my rc body for the lines, and duct tape to reinforce it. You might be able to save the fox body for when you are bashing really hard and don't want to damage the green one.
    Thanks! I regret tossing the body because I know you're right, but I didn't want to be rolling around in a [too much money] rig held together by duct tape.

Would make a great sleeper body too.

RC Qualifier
    I've used a high quality thin tape (unsure of the brand) that I got from the hobby shop to outline the masked areas then overlapped it with regular masking tape for the remaining areas. I've always had problems with paint bleeding under the edges of regular tape until I started doing this. It's easier to make curved edges too.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I've used a high quality thin tape (unsure of the brand) that I got from the hobby shop to outline the masked areas then overlapped it with regular masking tape for the remaining areas. I've always had problems with paint bleeding under the edges of regular tape until I started doing this. It's easier to make curved edges too.

Thank you!

Good job on your first paint job in 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Same. I use Tamiya pin stripe tape for edges and blue masking tape to fill the rest.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    And your paint job looks very nice! I just did a Monster Fusion with the Pro-line Pearl Lime Green paint. i'm still getting used to air brushing their paint, you really need to just mist on the first coat or it will run and separate big time! With this color the subsequent coats covered nicely, no blotches like a metallic would have.