RC Qualifier

Castle 1415 vs Hobbywing 4268

I currently have a MAX10 SCT ESC (VXL 3s broke) and the stock VXL 3s motor. Which of these 2 bigger motors is better for me? And will the MAX10 SCT (120A) be powerful enough for them?

I primarily bash in grass fields and in forests on 3s (and a bit of 2s), but I am having heat issues, even with 11/54 gearing and a (broken) fan/heatsink combo.

Castle 1415: 3670 motor, 2400 kv, 3s-4s, very popular, sensored
    Hobbywing 4268: slightly shorter, around the size of the caste 1515, 2600 kv, sensorless

The castle is €10 more expensive, but that price difference is so small, that I don't care about it.

I don't want to get a better ESC, unless I absolutely have to to run these motors

Also, I live in Europe, and here the 1415 costs €125, wich is app. $145. In the USA, it costs $105. Should I wait until Feb. when we move to the USA? I don't run my slash a lot in the winter due to more water, so more maintamence, so the wait could be worth the $40 less
    Last edited by The Bean; 09-19-2020 at 07:56 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm interested to see what people recommend! I just posted a similar post.

RC Qualifier
    I'm guessing it's your motor that's overheating? If it were my choice i'd go with the sensored motor if i had a sensored esc.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

One thing to consider is how the width of the motor will affect your gearing. I run a Castle 1515 2200kv 4074 motor in my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck. I am running 18/54 gearing. That is very close to the smallest gearing that I can run, because if the pinion was any smaller, the motor would hit the center shaft before the gears would mesh. I might be able to make 17/54 work, but it's important to leave at least a tiny gap to allow for chassis flex, so your chassis doesn't bump your motor and bend your motor mount plate.

The 4268 motor is going to be even more wide compared to the 4074 motor. That means you are going to probably be limited to something like 19/54 gearing. Combined with the higher motor KV (2600kv) and shorter can length, it sounds like a recipe for overheating.

With the 1415 2400kv 3670 motor, you could do 17/54, maybe even 16/54, combined with the lower KV, that should put you in a better position in terms of heat.

RC Qualifier
    Good to know! I hadn’t thought of that. Gearing is a good thing to consider.

RC Qualifier
    Also, will the 1415 on 3s be just as fast as the VXL 3s (with the correct gearing), and run cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Also, will the 1415 on 3s be just as fast as the VXL 3s (with the correct gearing), and run cooler?
    Yeah it can be just as fast if not faster depending on how you gear. Even if you only gear for equivalent speed, it will still have a LOT more torque.

RC Qualifier
    There was a thread about this just a week ago. What was the best option for a pinion? 19-tooth?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    There was a thread about this just a week ago. What was the best option for a pinion? 19-tooth?
    Well there is no "correct" gearing. It's a matter of preference as well as the environmental conditions where you bash your vehicle. Are you using regular short-course tires or are you using monster truck tires on your Slash 4x4? That also has a huge impact on your gearing.

My personal preference is that unless you really need a higher max speed, then gear as low as possible. You said that you are running on grass fields and in forests. That is pretty rough terrain and you're not likely to hit your max speed anyway. I would recommend 17/54. Also pinions are cheap, might as well buy a few. IMO it's better to start with conservative gearing, make sure you have no heat issues, then go up a tooth. Also keep in mind that higher gearing will potentially pull more current from your battery. Depending on what packs you are running, you can easily puff a lipo if you gear too high.

"Volt up gear down" is a motto I try to build by.

RC Qualifier
    I’ll probably get a 1415 in spring

RC poster
    I run Castle 1512 2650kv motor in my monster Slash paired with MAX 10 SCT on 3S. The temps on the ESC are around 45C (~113F), but I have to say I changed the stock 25x25 HW fan to Yeah racing 25x25 fan and that made a HUGE improvement. Same setup with the stock fan was running around 70C (~160F). So keep in mind that bigger motor means bigger stress on the ESC. I also run 2.8 MX28s which makes temps go up a lil bit higher.
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

RC Qualifier
    Good to know! Thanks for the tip about the fan