RC Enthusiast

The Time Has Come for a New Motor!

I've had my 4x4 Slash with a Velineon motor/esc for about 5 years, and I think it's finally bit the dust. RIP Velineon

I haven't been on the site regulary in the past few years, so I'm not sure what the latest and best motor/esc choices are.

I'd like to get something that performs well on 2 and 3 cells with maybe just a little better performance than my stock Velineon setup. I mostly just drive on the street in front of my house, so I probably don't need 4 cell speed (unless it's highly recommended and maybe I'm missing out ).

What are your recommendations? What's the best site to get them from?

TIA!
    Last edited by Jay_Dee63; 09-19-2020 at 12:01 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Dee63 View Post

I'd like to get something that performs well on 2 and 3 cells with maybe just a little better performance than my stock Velineon setup.

TIA!
    Hobbywing MAX10 SCT with the 3200kv? Its very cheap, and a bit better than stock. Also, the ESC is 4s, for if you want that in the future.

I only have the ESC.

Also, it depends where you are from, so I can’t give any advise of where to get stuff

Euro RC in europe is good
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-25-2020 at 01:31 AM. Reason: merge

Well you have to tell us what budget you're working with.

One setup that works very well, as long as you aren't trying to go sensored, is the Castle Sidewinder 8th + 2200kv motor combo.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/s...or-010-0139-01

It's not super cheap, but it's cheaper than the EzRun Max8 + motor combos, and it's cheaper than the Castle Mamba X + 2400kv motor combo. You get a real 8th scale ESC and a genuine large Castle 2200kv 4074 motor (bigger than the motor in the Hoss and the Maxx). On 2s and 3s lipo you should never have to worry about heat again. It would be ready for 4s if you go that route (ESC can technically handle up to 6s). 3s is great. Might seem a little sluggish on 2s.

With many 2s packs, it's possible to stack two on top of each other in the Slash 4x4 battery tray. This is often what I do. When I want to run 4s, I run the two batteries in series, which doubles the voltage. When I want to run 2s, I run them in parallel, doubling the potential amp output.

I have a lot of trouble even having a conversation about electric motors as a suggestion. It is like suggesting to someone what their favorite color should be. For me when trying to build a new rig I go in this order to figure out what parts to pick.

Budget: $$$ or $$$$

Wants:
    1 - Chassis type plus weight and target terrain
    2 - Drive type 2WD,4WD,4x4,6x6, etc

Needed to get there:
    1. ESC
    2. Battery
    3. Motor

So I need abunch more detail to even get started on which motor.

RC Enthusiast
    I’m not worried about the price. I just want to get a good motor/esc. I try to support American made companies. Looks like Castle’s made in the US.

Will the 2400 be quick or sluggish on 2s? If not, is there a motor that does well on both 2 and 3s that’s more powerful than my stock Velineon?

I usually run 2s and occasionally 3s on the street in front of my house. It’d be nice to have the capability to run 4s in the future. Never tried it yet.

RC Racer
    Looks like Castle’s made in the US.
    They are kind of like Apple. Designed in Olathe (10 minutes from me), KS; built in China. I support them though, quality motors, ESCs, and support.

RC Enthusiast
    If they do that garbage, I’ll just buy from some Chinese company. Same thing to me

RC Racer
    If they do that garbage, I’ll just buy from some Chinese company. Same thing to me
    Bangood would be your friend then. It'll take a month or so to get your goods. Pretty tough not to find something made in China or Taiwan or someplace other than the US anymore. We just don't have machine shops or factories anymore. Unfortunately, we shipped that all overseas, and now overseas is as technologically advanced as we are so ... we did it to ourselves. It's hard to find/get/backorder parts or motors or new stock of things right now due to this and COVID ... but I digress.

Castle Creations Mamba X esc and sensored 5mm shaft 2400kv motor will be all you need! You can gear it so it will almost out run the Velineon motor system on 2s while the Velineon is running 3s.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    There is a difference: you have: designed in the USA (good quality), but built in China, and you have designed in China (Bad quality, sometimes dangerous) and built in China. The best stuff are designed/built in Japan, but for so far i know, there aren’t any very popular RC brands there

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Castle Creations Mamba X esc and sensored 5mm shaft 2400kv motor will be all you need! You can gear it so it will almost out run the Velineon motor system on 2s while the Velineon is running 3s.
    Do you think the 2400kv Castle is a better choice for running 2s mostly and occasionally 3s on the street in front of my house than the Hobbywing Max10 SCT ESC combo with a 3200 kv sensorless motor? I think I've narrowed it down to those two. I know you've been recommending the 2400kv for years. Thanks!

RC Racer
    If the price of the 1415 isn’t a lot higher than the 3200lv, I think there isn’t any reason to not get it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Is this the right combo? I’m not sure if it’s the correct ESC or if this motor has the 5mm shaft. It’s backordered, but I don’t mind waiting.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...bo-010-0160-00

It’s $240 on Castle’s website. Is there a cheaper site to order it from?
    Last edited by Jay_Dee63; 09-20-2020 at 12:16 PM.

There is also Castle’s 2650kV motor...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

If you do go with the 1415 from Castle I would suggest the one with the 5mm shaft over the $40 saving of a bundle. And if you do only plan to use 2s and 3s occasionally then the Mamba X maybe overkill. But I will say I bet you will like 3s much more with a sub 3000kv motor. In almost every situation higher voltage and lower gearing is better making less heat and creating more torque.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/c...ft-060-0067-00
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-20-2020 at 12:49 PM.

RC Champion
    Would the MAXX motor fit in a Sl4sh?
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    If you do go with the 1415 from Castle I would suggest the one with the 5mm shaft over the $40 saving of a bundle. And if you do only plan to use 2s and 3s occasionally then the Mamba X maybe overkill. But I will say I bet you will like 3s much more with a sub 3000kv motor. In almost every situation higher voltage and lower gearing is better making less heat and creating more torque.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/c...ft-060-0067-00
    Thanks for pointing that out! Is this the ESC I’d need to go with for the 1415 2400kv motor? Is there a less expensive ESC made by Castle or is that the one that’s optimally suited for that motor? If it pairs the best with that motor, then I don’t mind spending the money on something that I’ll (hopefully) have 5+ years of use from.

I’m thinking it might be a nice change
    that’ll maybe get me excited about driving my slash again with the 2400 rather than just replacing the motor with the Hobbywing option that’s similar to what I’ve been using for years.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...sc-010-0155-00
    Last edited by Jay_Dee63; 09-20-2020 at 02:09 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    It’s almost the same as the 1415, but more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    If you do go with the 1415 from Castle I would suggest the one with the 5mm shaft over the $40 saving of a bundle.
    You can get the 1415 2400kv with the 5mm shaft as part of a similar bundle with the Mamba X and it's the exact same price as the other bundle:
    https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...bo-010-0160-01

Is there a less expensive ESC made by Castle or is that the one that’s optimally suited for that motor? If it pairs the
    There is nothing else from Castle that competes with the Sidewinder 8th bundle in terms of what you get for the price:

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/s...or-010-0139-01

-Sidewinder 8th ESC that can handle more power than the Mamba X.
    -2200kv 1515 motor that is both larger and more powerful than the 2400kv 1415 motor (and all 1515 motors come with a 5mm shaft).
    -$50 cheaper.

What's not to love? It almost makes it seem silly to get the Mamba X / 2400kv combo instead.

Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    Yeah, they used that same motor in the Hoss 4x4 which shares many common parts with the Slash 4x4, and the chassis of the Hoss 4x4 is actually shorter than the Slash 4x4. I run a 1515 in my slash 4x4, which is both longer and wider than the Maxx motor, and it still fits great.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    It’s almost the same as the 1415, but more expensive
    Ok, didn't know how much it was
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    You can get the 1415 2400kv with the 5mm shaft as part of a similar bundle with the Mamba X and it's the exact same price as the other bundle:
    https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...bo-010-0160-01
    Thanks, I was looking for that combo but thought it wasn't being listed because of stock levels since I couldn't find it.

RC Enthusiast
    I ended up ordering the Castle 1415 2400 kv with the mamba x from Amain Hobbies that's on backorder. Can't wait for it to get here!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

RC Racer
    Tell us about it when it arrives!

RC Competitor
    The mamba x is a great esc! You gain a couple features going sensored, i appreciate the motor temp feature. No more ir thermometor. Im currently runnimg the 1410 3800kv but am looking at getting the xerun 3660 g2 3600kv for my rusty 4x4
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
    The mamba x is a great esc! You gain a couple features going sensored, i appreciate the motor temp feature. No more ir thermometor. Im currently runnimg the 1410 3800kv but am looking at getting the xerun 3660 g2 3600kv for my rusty 4x4
    What gearing are you using? I have the same motor and it gets wicked hot on 3s..

You are correct! I have my esc set to if my motor gets to 160° that it will shut it off. That way I don't have to worry about damaging the magnet.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    My gearing is 13/54, i do have a heatsink on the motor and the motor wires trimmed and soldered backwords so they are not crowding the motor. The motor does get pretty hot, i have the esc set to shut off when the motor reaches 200deg. I review data logging after most runs, moyor temps get to 173deg or so. Since 200deg is where a magnet starts to loose its magnitisum i feel its ok. Run times arent super long, like 15min or so, thus whynimnlookimg at other motors

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-27-2020 at 01:49 AM.

RC Racer
    Doesn’t the MAX10 SCT also have a max. temp function for the motor? Would it work with the 1415? With a MAM10 SCT you can run sensoren motors in sensorless mode

RC Competitor
    If you run in senseless mode the esc wont be able to tell the motor temperature

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Doesn’t the MAX10 SCT also have a max. temp function for the motor? Would it work with the 1415? With a MAM10 SCT you can run sensoren motors in sensorless mode
    I have the MAX10 SCT combo with temp sensing capabilities with the 3200kv motor. For temperature sensing, it has a wire that runs from the esc and plugs into the back of the motor. I do not think the 1415 would be compatible.

How do you utilize the capabilities of the motor and esc?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

My gearing is 13/54, i do have a heatsink on the motor and the motor wires trimmed and soldered backwords so they are not crowding the motor. The motor does get pretty hot, i have the esc set to shut off when the motor reaches 200deg. I review data logging after most runs, moyor temps get to 173deg or so. Since 200deg is where a magnet starts to loose its magnitisum i feel its ok. Run times arent super long, like 15min or so, thus whynimnlookimg at other motors
    You might want to reconsider that 200 degree limit.

"At around 80 °C, a magnet will lose its magnetism and it will become demagnetized permanently if exposed to this temperature for a period, or if heated above their Curie temperature. Heat the magnet even more, and it will melt, and eventually vaporize."

80 C = 176 F

Quote from: https://www.azonano.com/article.aspx...lly%20vaporize.

"The heated magnet will not pick up the paper clips, or it will pick up very few depending on the temperature and time it was heated. When heated above 176° Fahrenheit (80° Celsius), magnets will quickly lose their magnetic properties. The magnet will become permanently demagnetized if exposed to these temperatures for a certain length of time or heated at a significantly higher temperature (Curie temperature)."

Quote from: https://www.apexmagnets.com/news-how...net-is-heated/
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-27-2020 at 01:50 AM. Reason: modfied quote

RC Competitor
    What do you mean by capabilities?

Im sorry. Like the motor temps and stuff.

RC Competitor
    For example... with my mamba x i have the castle link cable and software on my computer. The software was free and the esc came with a coupon for the cable. Bacically you plug your esc into your computer and can access numourious settings and data logging. Some use something called a programming card which allows you to change some settings but not as much as the software.

RC Racer
    Theres also a blue tooth module you can get for the mamba x. You can change all the settings from an app on your phone. It's like 54 bucks though. I have one, but not so sure it's worth the money, at least for a general basher. It is useful for crawlers though, which it what I have it one. Other then that, the feild link (program card) and the cable to hook it up to a laptop is all you need (which you can get for free as the previous poster wrote)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I can see how that would be convenient. Thats pretty cool.