Need input on new motor

What are your guys thoughts on either a Leopard Hobby 4275 2000kv motor or a Hobbywing 4274 2200kv motor. Both are about the same price, and both come
    pre-soldered with 6.5 bullet ends. Both are on eBay.

I also found a Team Corrally 4274 2050kv motor for 69 on eBay.

I know a lot of users on here swear by Castle and same for Hobbywing. But Iíve also seen some positive reviews on the Leopard motors. But I donít want to spend the 150 or so for a Castle motor if I donít have too. Hence my asking you fine folk for your thoughts.

Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I just threw in a TP Power motor. 48mm long rotor in a 73mm can. But I had to solder 6.5 bullets which is stupid easy to do. Tin the lead, then drop the iron into the bullet for a few seconds, push the solder into the bullet and it'll melt into a nice little pool. Remove iron and drop tinned phase wire in quickly. scrap excess solder off. I can say the bearings on it are great and the magnets seem ridiculously strong, but it draws less current, runs cooler and seems to have around the same power. Haven't tried standing backflips on it though, but it certainly bunny hops like the 2200kv vxl unit.

RC Competitor
    I've purchased both leopard and hobbywing motors for other smaller vehicles. Both seemed like decent quality products.

My comment to you would be that the erevo is a very heavy machine. The amount of power going through the motor and the amount of mechanical stress when your vehicle takes a tumble are considerable. Castle has a reputation for surviving that kind of abuse. If I were in your position, I would be asking myself whether or not I'm going to break the cheap motor and then have to buy another one anyway. There is some truth in the idea that you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirestarter View Post
    I just threw in a TP Power motor. 48mm long rotor in a 73mm can. But I had to solder 6.5 bullets which is stupid easy to do. Tin the lead, then drop the iron into the bullet for a few seconds, push the solder into the bullet and it'll melt into a nice little pool. Remove iron and drop tinned phase wire in quickly. scrap excess solder off. I can say the bearings on it are great and the magnets seem ridiculously strong, but it draws less current, runs cooler and seems to have around the same power. Haven't tried standing backflips on it though, but it certainly bunny hops like the 2200kv vxl unit.
    Got a link to the specific one your running? What kv? The TP site is a bit of a pain to navigate unless you know exactly what your looking for.

I'm running an arrma blx2050kv 4074 in mine at the moment, driven by a max6. My biggest issue is run time... with my hrb 5000mah 3S 50C packs, I get average 11-12 minutes. With CNHL 5000mah 65C I get 12-13 minutes.

Running 54/20 gearing currently with strapped trencher 3.8 tires. I run pretty hard at a grass bmx track a lot. At skate parks, I get 17-18 minutes typically. A lot less WOT running there.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Got a link to the specific one your running? What kv? The TP site is a bit of a pain to navigate unless you know exactly what your looking for.

I'm running an arrma blx2050kv 4074 in mine at the moment, driven by a max6. My biggest issue is run time... with my hrb 5000mah 3S 50C packs, I get average 11-12 minutes. With CNHL 5000mah 65C I get 12-13 minutes.

Running 54/20 gearing currently with strapped trencher 3.8 tires. I run pretty hard at a grass bmx track a lot. At skate parks, I get 17-18 minutes typically. A lot less WOT running there.
    Will the Arrma motor bolt to the motor spacer just fine with it being a tiny bit smaller diameter? Arrma motors are around same price as the leopard hobby and hobbywing motors I found on eBay.

Is there much of a difference between the Traxxas 2200kv and the blx 2050kv motors, in terms of torque and power? Do you have heat issues with the blx motor? I think I cooked a bearing in my motor but the previous owner must have tried to open the motor at one point, one of the screws is stripped holding the bell end and I canít take it apart to see.

What are your thoughts on these motors olds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293112852342

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182241283842

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333670656753

I read the leapard runs hot, don't know anything about the other two.

The BLX2050kv bolted right up without issue.

I never had the stock traxxas vxl 2200kv motor, I had the v1 ERBE which had a castle/traxxas system in it. My motor was 3 years old when I got the 2.0 roller and transferred my stuff over to it. My MXL-6S esc died the 3rd time I ran 6S through it (also 3yrs old from 4S use) and I ended up going with a hobbywing max6 and the blx2050kv.

I run a power hobby dual fan cooler on it. It will run warm if pushed hard in grass. But so far, it performs fine. I have the same system in my outcast 6s. I did replace both motor's bearings with some ceramic hybrids.

With the stock talon ext tires, I had run 54/20 in it on 6S. I didn't care for the lack of grip, so I switched back to my trenchers with some 1/2" offset hubs. I thought I'd have to drop back down to a 19T pinion, but I ran it today with a 20T without issue. Motor stayed below 160F, the esc got to 146F. I run pretty hard at a grass bmx track.

I read the leapard runs hot, don't know anything about the other two.

The BLX2050kv bolted right up without issue.

I never had the stock traxxas vxl 2200kv motor, I had the v1 ERBE which had a castle/traxxas system in it. My motor was 3 years old when I got the 2.0 roller and transferred my stuff over to it. My MXL-6S esc died the 3rd time I ran 6S through it (also 3yrs old from 4S use) and I ended up going with a hobbywing max6 and the blx2050kv.

I run a power hobby dual fan cooler on it. It will run warm if pushed hard in grass. But so far, it performs fine. I have the same system in my outcast 6s. I did replace both motor's bearings with some ceramic hybrids.

With the stock talon ext tires, I had run 54/20 in it on 6S. I didn't care for the lack of grip, so I switched back to my trenchers with some 1/2" offset hubs. I thought I'd have to drop back down to a 19T pinion, but I ran it today with a 20T without issue. Motor stayed below 160F, the esc got to 146F. I run pretty hard at a grass bmx track.
    My Erevo V1 came with the mxl6s system and the castle motor. I put it in my V2 swap. Worked great but ran hot, so I bought the power hobby dual fan cooler for it, even on stock Erevo 2.0 gearing 54/15. I guess it finally had enough and seized up. I think itís only a beating but I gotta figure a way to get that stripped screw out so I can see if itís a goner or can be fixed.

Iíll probably look at grabbing a blx motor, I know my 3668 4s motor on my Kraton 4s doesnít get hot and itís pretty potent for the truck. Thanks for the advise olds

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    My Erevo V1 came with the mxl6s system and the castle motor. I put it in my V2 swap. Worked great but ran hot, so I bought the power hobby dual fan cooler for it, even on stock Erevo 2.0 gearing 54/15. I guess it finally had enough and seized up. I think it’s only a beating but I gotta figure a way to get that stripped screw out so I can see if it’s a goner or can be fixed.

I’ll probably look at grabbing a blx motor, I know my 3668 4s motor on my Kraton 4s doesn’t get hot and it’s pretty potent for the truck. Thanks for the advise olds

The blx2050kv is a 4074, just a bit lower KV than the v1 or v2 revo motor. Probably a hobbywing derivative, I'm not sure. I know their esc's are hobbywing based. At least the pre-firma ones. The firma ones probably are as well.

RC Enthusiast
    I posted a link and it seems that it was removed. It's the 4040 2450kv, but I used the tp power usa site. I run 12/50 gearing and haven't checked runtimes since, but on stock 15/54 gearing I was getting 22m out of my oovo 5.2ah 3s packs, 29m from traxxas 5ah 3s packs, and 35m with 6.2ah 3s hobbystar packs. From my 3 runs, it looks to be drawing 6-8% less current than the stock 2200kv motor geared for the same wheel speed and runs 20f cooler. The esc also takes a little longer to heat up, but I have a high rpm 35x10 fan coming to throw in the speed control. The stock fan is absolutely pathetic.

Well fellas, I went with this. Looks to be a hobbywing in design, and for 65 shipped, a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372627391344

I like the power the Traxxas 2200kv motor has, so I went with that one because itís 2200kv as well. If turns out not to be a good match, I can always grab another motor

I posted a link and it seems that it was removed...
    No post in this thread has been edited.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Enthusiast
    FranÁois.
    May God keep you, I have not time.

Quote Originally Posted by pleinair37 View Post
    Looks a lot like the arrma 4074 2050kv. They may be measuring at the fins to get the 42mm.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    No post in this thread has been edited.
    Either I had a submission issue or the whole comment was removed...

RC Enthusiast
    Looks a lot like the arrma 4074 2050kv. They may be measuring at the fins to get the 42mm.
    Yeah, the 40 and 42mm motors are all seemingly 40mm cans with or without fins. I went with a finless 40mm motor because I wanted greater surface area for my heatsink to work, and it has. I'm getting cooler temps with a 2450kv motor same gearing.

RC Enthusiast
    KV doesn't = power or torque. KV is the revolutions per volt unloaded... but more basically a higher kv= lower resistance and a lower kv = higher resistance.

Same gearing, the higher kv will make more power and torque all else equal and will have more wheel speed. Gear the motors to the same wheel speed and they'll have the same power and torque all else equal. This is due to the kv motor drawing more current even though they have the same gearing (mechanical torque) and voltage.

Lower kv motors have an advantage of using higher voltages, so if you run a higher voltage low kv motor then a higher kv lower voltage setup would need to draw more current to make the same power. More current = more heat in the speed controller. BUT, the motors will run at the same temperature because RESISTANCE also creates heat and lower kv motors have more resistance. Basically, electric motors need load to create power. Running a holmes puller pro r 4100kv crawler motor on 3s in high gear on my trx6 it pulls 150amps which came out to just under 1700watts. In low gear it couldn't hit half that with everything else being the same.

I've asked John Holmes this, of Holmes Hobbies whom makes my favorite crawler motors, and he said that's exactly correct and even into the math that justifies it. Pretty awesome company and dude, check out his youtube channel cause he has a lot of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Well fellas, I went with this. Looks to be a hobbywing in design, and for 65 shipped, a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372627391344

I like the power the Traxxas 2200kv motor has, so I went with that one because it’s 2200kv as well. If turns out not to be a good match, I can always grab another motor

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to stay with the same kv rating my Traxxas motor had lol thought it was a deal for 65

RC Racer
    KV doesn't = power or torque. KV is the revolutions per volt unloaded... but more basically a higher kv= lower resistance and a lower kv = higher resistance.

Same gearing, the higher kv will make more power and torque all else equal and will have more wheel speed. Gear the motors to the same wheel speed and they'll have the same power and torque all else equal. This is due to the kv motor drawing more current even though they have the same gearing (mechanical torque) and voltage.

Lower kv motors have an advantage of using higher voltages, so if you run a higher voltage low kv motor then a higher kv lower voltage setup would need to draw more current to make the same power. More current = more heat in the speed controller. BUT, the motors will run at the same temperature because RESISTANCE also creates heat and lower kv motors have more resistance. Basically, electric motors need load to create power. Running a holmes puller pro r 4100kv crawler motor on 3s in high gear on my trx6 it pulls 150amps which came out to just under 1700watts. In low gear it couldn't hit half that with everything else being the same.

I've asked John Holmes this, of Holmes Hobbies whom makes my favorite crawler motors, and he said that's exactly correct and even into the math that justifies it. Pretty awesome company and dude, check out his youtube channel cause he has a lot of info.
    I've been saying this for years. You'd be surprised at how many people think the opposite. Some confusion comes from can size. Generally low kv motors are larger cans, so they will make more torque, but same can sizes, more kv means more power. Its also why higher kv motors run hotter, and drain your battery faster. They are making more power. Of course theres also efficiency to take into consideration. Cant just get the highest kv motor and expect the highest output.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk