RC Racer

Traxxas Slash 2WD speed runner

Hey all,

So Iíve just come back to RC (caught the bug ) and I want to work on my Slash 2WD speed runner again. The highest speed Iíve been able to get with it is 96 mph before it catches air underneath the body and flips over. Since then Iíve lowered the chassis and body as much as possible and tightened the springs to minimize give. Iím still running the stock shocks in the rear, which I feel could be causing it to flip over. Does anyone have any suggestions for better shocks I could use in the rear to keep the car low to the ground and less squishy?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jainm View Post
    Hey all,

So Iíve just come back to RC (caught the bug ) and I want to work on my Slash 2WD speed runner again. The highest speed Iíve been able to get with it is 96 mph before it catches air underneath the body and flips over. Since then Iíve lowered the chassis and body as much as possible and tightened the springs to minimize give. Iím still running the stock shocks in the rear, which I feel could be causing it to flip over. Does anyone have any suggestions for better shocks I could use in the rear to keep the car low to the ground and less squishy?

Thanks.
    You can easily shorten the shocks by adding fuel tubing on the shock shaft inside the shock.
    Increase the weight of the oil while youíre in there...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    You can easily shorten the shocks by adding fuel tubing on the shock shaft inside the shock.
    Increase the weight of the oil while youíre in there...
    Thanks for the response. Iíve already done that, I have the shocks lowered all the way with fuel tubing in the front and the rear, it still seems a bit squishy though.

Have you tried stiffer springs, and heavier weight shock oil? Another option is to put shorter shocks in the rear.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    I have 300 weight shock oil on the way. Do you have any suggestions for stiffer springs I could use? Cheers.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of body are you running?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    What kind of body are you running?
    Running a 2mm DeltaPlastik speed running body.

RC Racer
    Running a 2mm DeltaPlastik speed running body.
    How are you flipping? Nose first? Are your sides flapping? Have you worked on any undercarriage drag and lift issues?

I have 300 weight shock oil on the way. Do you have any suggestions for stiffer springs I could use? Cheers.
    The stiffest springs I believe are 20% stiffer than the stock springs, and they are blue rated springs.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Also, curious what transmission you are using ... stock, pro-line, ...?

RC Qualifier
    I had some black springs that were quite stiff. Brand unknown.
    By the time they were shortened, they were so stiff, the fuel tubing would compress.
    I ended up using a hard plastic collar instead of silicone as an internal limiter.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    How are you flipping? Nose first? Are your sides flapping? Have you worked on any undercarriage drag and lift issues?
    I think something is flapping, because when Iím at high speed I can hear the body scraping the ground. It looks like the front of the body is chipped from hitting the ground. The car is also flipping backwards. Since last run Iíve lowered the chassis significantly to the point where it is barely off the ground. About 1/16 inch clearance now

RC Racer
    Do you have a part number for it? Thanks.

RC Racer
    Using an integy transmission case with hardened steel gears. Only stock gear is the planetary gear, everything else is upgraded. Pinion and spur are 29/34 mod 1.

RC Racer
    I think something is flapping, because when I’m at high speed I can hear the body scraping the ground. It looks like the front of the body is chipped from hitting the ground. The car is also flipping backwards. Since last run I’ve lowered the chassis significantly to the point where it is barely off the ground. About 1/16 inch clearance now
    Do you have pictures you can share? If possible, include a nose/angled nose shot, rear, and undercarriage shot. A lot of people cut out the rear if they don't have a diffuser.
    Last edited by Spechal; 09-20-2020 at 11:48 PM.

RC Racer
    Using an integy transmission case with hardened steel gears. Only stock gear is the planetary gear, everything else is upgraded. Pinion and spur are 29/34 mod 1.
    Cool. Thanks for the info share.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spechal View Post
    Do you have pictures you can share? If possible, include a nose/angled nose shot, rear, and undercarriage shot. A lot of people cut out the rear if they don't have a diffuser.
    https://imgur.com/a/ERywmC3

Put a couple of pictures up here. Lmk if you want to see any more. Thank you for the help.

RC Qualifier

Put a couple of pictures up here. Lmk if you want to see any more. Thank you for the help.
    So a quick look and my gut feeling is

(1) your back is actually too low. You need a little bit of rake so that your nose isnít higher than then rear when you either hit a bump or rise when you get on the throttle and the weight transfers toward the back, the latter is way more serious on a rear motor and transmission car like the 2wd slash plus you have that long metal wheelie bar that moves the center of gravity.

(2) your shocks are too slammed. Leave a little travel so your car doesnít bound up and catch air first time it hits a bump or rock at speed

RC Racer
    I had the same feeling also, I think I’m going to reopen the shocks and increase the ride height in the back + fill it up with new shock oil. Also, should I remove some of the spacers from the shocks to increase the travel? Cheers.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I would increase the travel bit and allow some “give” in the suspension. Heavier oil is better to slow the rebound stroke.

One thing people do is they add weight to the front bumper to keep the nose down, especially for the open wheel rustler builds, but I think it will benefit your build too. The 2wd slash is very light so anything that can help it’s nose to the ground isn’t going to help.

RC Racer
    Are there any particular types of weights they add? What are they made out of?

RC Qualifier
    You can use any weight you can as long as they stay in place with screws,adhesive or tape. Or you can get something customized like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/World-Recor...QAAOSwEppcMBhB

RC Racer
    What is the difference between that and something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Nickel-P.../dp/B00KI2B2KC

RC Qualifier
    What is the difference between that and something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Nickel-P.../dp/B00KI2B2KC
    That’s just the weight so you just have to find a place to put it. Just different options

RC Qualifier
    Are there any particular types of weights they add? What are they made out of?
    I use lead wheel balancing weights and glue them into the bulkhead. An oz or 2 will fit there.
    Iíve seen some builds with weighted front bumpers too...

RC Racer
    I might glue it someplace on the chassis. The price is also significantly cheaper. Would this weight still work as a front weight?

RC Racer

RC Racer

You may be flipping backwards because there is too much lift in the rear due to the body carriage drag. A lot of people either cut out the rear of the body, have a wing and/or diffuser for rear downforce and aerodynamic issues.

RC Racer
    Wouldn't a rear wing cause more drag and make it more likely for the car to flip? Also do people completely cut out the backs of their cars?

RC Qualifier
    A wing causes drag but also creates downforce to keep the rear planted, something a rear weight bias 2wd car will need.

RC Racer
    Wouldn't a rear wing cause more drag and make it more likely for the car to flip? Also do people completely cut out the backs of their cars?
    It depends on how the wing "cuts" through the air. At a downward angle and it will create downforce, upward angle and you are flying. If they don't use a wing and have air flowing through the chassis, they generally completely cut out the back to be even with the sides and upper portion of the body.