RC poster

Trx4 sport stopped

I was crawling for maybe 20 minutes or so and my trx sport stopped as if it overheated. I let it cool for a little bit and still no go.the ecn comes on and then off. So I replaced the 3s lipo with a new fully charged one and as soon as I plug it in the car starts to go even if controller is off. *** any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wingd View Post
    I was crawling for maybe 20 minutes or so and my trx sport stopped as if it overheated. I let it cool for a little bit and still no go.the ecn comes on and then off. So I replaced the 3s lipo with a new fully charged one and as soon as I plug it in the car starts to go even if controller is off. *** any ideas?

Maybe your first battery wasn’t fully charged.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Maybe your first battery wasn’t fully charged.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
    Maybe this, when the motor and ESC are very hot, it discharges batteries very fast.

RC Competitor
    time for a axe system

RC poster
    From what I've read, I think the esc went south. I will pick one up on Tuesday. Hopefully the shop will have one on the shelf.

RC Competitor
    do you have a multimeter? you can see if its outputting any voltages
    I would go with an axe brushless system though turns the trx4 into a monster

RC poster
    The Hobbywing esc is a really nice step up for the price...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

How old is the truck?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

From what I've read, I think the esc went south. I will pick one up on Tuesday. Hopefully the shop will have one on the shelf.

If you are switching the ESC, get the Hobbywing 1080. It's actually cheaper than the stock Traxxas one if you buy from the hobby shop, and it has so much more adjustability, and it is very smooth.

Also, if this is a new truck, you can contact Traxxas for a replacement for free.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    If you are switching the ESC, get the Hobbywing 1080. It's actually cheaper than the stock Traxxas one if you buy from the hobby shop, and it has so much more adjustability, and it is very smooth.

Also, if this is a new truck, you can contact Traxxas for a replacement for free.
    This is a good idea, 1080 is a must have.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Drtrnsrpt View Post
    The Hobbywing esc is a really nice step up for the price...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    This is an outstanding idea, the best for crawling.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    How old is the truck?
    Less than a month old. Purchased Sept 2

Contact Traxxas for a replacement. It is within the 30 day warranty.

RC poster
    I contacted traxxas and they will replace it after they receive it. So I couldn't wait, so I tried to get the Hobbywing 1080 esc but Hobby shop only had 1 traxxas xl-5 so I picked up and now back up and running. So I'll send the bad one back and I'll have a backup.

RC poster
    Figured out what caused my esc to smoke. I recently replaced my steering servo to a Chinese 2.5 klg servo and under strees when crawling it overload the esc. The reason I know this is I picked up a new traxxas xl5 esc and after 5 minutes of slow crawling while front wheels were jammed it smoked the esc. So now I installed a hobbywing 1080 esc and after 5 minutes the steering servo fried. You pay for what you get. So back to the stock traxxas steering servo and all seems well. Next servo upgrade will be the traxxas 400klg high torque.

RC Enthusiast
    You need the BEC

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
    You need the BEC
    Agree with this.

RC poster
    According to what I've read and watched on YouTube, using the Hobbywing 1080 esc you don't need to use a BEC even when adding the traxxas 400klg power torque steering servo.

RC Champion
    According to what I've read and watched on YouTube, using the Hobbywing 1080 esc you don't need to use a BEC even when adding the traxxas 400klg power torque steering servo.

Generally, with a Hobbywing 1080 ESC, is not necessary to install a UBEC.

So basically what a BEC does is to provide a higher voltage, and more amperage. Since the Hobbywing 1080 already has a very strong internal BEC (7.4V and 3 amps), an external BEC isn't really needed. But if you are running a Savox servo (very power hungry servos, especially when under load), you may need a 5 amp BEC.

RC poster
    Same thing happened to mine. New truck, used it two days. Traxxas is sending me a new one after they receive mine but I feel like I need to just upgrade. I don't want to keep sending these things back.

This "Hobbywing 1080" You guys are talking about, is it plug and play? And sorry, whats a BEC? (newb here)

Yes, the Hobbywing 1080 ESC is what we are talking about. It is plug and play with the exception of the battery connector, since it comes with an XT60 connector, you will either have to solder on the Traxxas plug or use an adapter (adapter heats up under high currents, but I don't think it should be an issue for crawlers).

A BEC is a "batter eliminator circuit", the reason that it is called that was because years ago (waaaaay back), the receiver was powered by a separate battery (with lower voltage to not fry the receiver and other components) than the battery powering the ESC. Having an internal BEC built in the ESC allows the receiver to directly use power from one battery instead of using a seperate lower voltage battery, making it a more simple/cleaner setup.

The Traxxas XL-5 has a fixed 6V 2 amp BEC, which is not the best, but also not terrible. The Hobbywing 1080 has a switchable 6V-7.4V 3 amp BEC which is considerable better. Having higher voltage gives more power, and more amperage more supply (amperage goes up as voltage goes up, since the pressure and volume have a direct relationship).

RC poster
    Right on, very much appreciate the explanation! Thank you