RC poster

2085x stopped working - now working again

Not a huge fan of Traxxas' servos but for the X-MAXX I just wanted something plug and play and needed a stronger spring anyways. The 2085x seemed to fit the bill. After the second run the servo randomly stopped working. Turned the truck on and off and realized steering was browning out the electronics. I read this thread, https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9091662, and can confirm I'm having the same issue. The servo has some sort of self resettable fuse. I didn't test it intermittently to determine the exact time it took this fuse to reset but the next day all was well. Apparently adjusting the trim while TSM is on, even if by accident, is a big no-no.

I disabled TSM from the Tx and am hoping for the best from here on out. I called Traxxas and they, in Traxxas fashion, denied there being anything wrong with said 2085x. I hate that they do this but understand why they do.

Anyone else experience this issue? TSM isn't a must but would be nice to use.

Quote Originally Posted by MickVA View Post
    Anyone else experience this issue? TSM isn't a must but would be nice to use.

There are actually a couple of members on here that say they got a couple of years out of the 2085X servo when TSM was not used at all; or I should say they chose not to use the TSM feature.

I myself had no luck with the 2085X servo with or without TSM active. For two months I did the turn-around game with Traxxas and their servos for the X-Maxx starting with the standard 2085 that was in it and replacing with a 2085X that I had on stand-by. Long story short, four for four servos failed on me; two standard 2085's and two 2085X's.

The standard 2085's would strip after two runs and the 2085X's would overheat on mine using the 6533 TSM receiver whether TSM was on or off causing them to become unresponsive and almost causing severe crashes until the fuse reset.

Yes, TSM would be nice to use because that is how the truck is advertised. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the truck to perform as advertised with their servos and ended up dumping some good money on a ProModeler exclusively designed for the X-Maxx.

I mean, I don't know what to say, I gave Traxxas servos a shot and they did provide and live up to their warranty service on electronics; however, I just couldn't get their servos to work in their truck as advertised.

I also understand that when you called Traxxas that they denied that there was anything wrong with the 2085X and they would be partially correct because the servo works and starts working again when it cools down and resets. In my opinion, that is a faulty servo, regardless of the fact it starts working again when it cools down. I almost lost my investment twice because of their denial.

However, what they won't admit, is when the servo becomes hot and the fuse trips and you almost wrap your $1000 investment around an immovable object because the steering went out without warning...........well, lets just say they aren't going to admit that can happen because then they would be obligated to replace more than a servo!
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I couldn't get the truck to perform as advertised with their servos and ended up dumping some good money on a ProModeler exclusively designed for the X-Maxx.
    Saved for a rainy day, thanks.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaround28 View Post
    Yeah, the ProModeler servos are pretty awesome. I run the 930 in mine. It's a beast.

https://youtu.be/LScM7fdIrqs

Sure does look like western Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh area to be exact.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Champion
    I always go with TSM off, and my servo it's aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Goaround28 View Post
    You are Welcome and keep in mind that the ProModeler will work on a rainy day, a snowy day, a sunny day, a windy day and a day of driving it partially submerged in water; but my very favorite aspect of it is that it will work on very hot days and any day that ends with a "Y" and not overheat!

RC poster
    Turned TSM off completely in the menu, went to go run the truck. Lasted 10 minutes before failing again. What specific servo do you run from PM and what servo arm setup are you using? Thanks.

RC Racer
    Turned TSM off completely in the menu, went to go run the truck. Lasted 10 minutes before failing again. What specific servo do you run from PM and what servo arm setup are you using? Thanks.
    The 930 and 630 are both good in the X-Maxx. The 930 has more torque but the 630 has more than enough too. As for the horn, I used the Promodeler one.

You can get the servo + beam mod + horn as a package:

930 package

630 Package

Promolder servo spline is different size than the 2085. So have to use promodeler horn for find a xmaxx got. With a 5mm diameter spline.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    The 930 and 630 are both good in the X-Maxx. The 930 has more torque but the 630 has more than enough too. As for the horn, I used the Promodeler one.

930 package

630 Package
    Wow, those look extremely nice. Question; will their horn work with with the stock 2085/x servo or is that specifically for your universal 25t servo? Because if it's for your universal 25t that come on most servos I would love to try it with my reefs 500 which does incredibly well in my "MAXX".

Extremely interested in trying one out from that company as well though. Not sure why they only have one corner removed from the mounting tabs. It seems I've always had to modify the actual front portion of the chassis to make the tabs fit on both sides...

Wow, those look extremely nice. Question; will their horn work with with the stock 2085/x servo or is that specifically for your universal 25t servo? Because if it's for your universal 25t that come on most servos I would love to try it with my reefs 500 which does incredibly well in my "MAXX".

Extremely interested in trying one out from that company as well though. Not sure why they only have one corner removed from the mounting tabs. It seems I've always had to modify the actual front portion of the chassis to make the tabs fit on both sides...
    The 2085/x has a 7mm spline so stock horn will not work on any other servos. You have to get the pm horn or one for xmaxx that works with 5mm splines.

Or find some kind of adapter which I don't know if exists.

For pm servos for xmaxx have to do the beam mod which cuts a corner off. Can do this yourself or let them do it. As you also have to have a adapter to use any non 2085/x servos and the beam mod is needed for most servos in order to fit correctly.

There are a number of posts talking about this. Beam mod all depends on the servo and it's exact dimensions as all differ some.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post

930 package

630 Package
    Thank you. I just ordered the 930. My castle setup 800kv and x8s esc should run it without a external bec.

RC Qualifier

The standard 2085's would strip after two runs and the 2085X's would overheat on mine using the 6533 TSM receiver whether TSM was on or off causing them to become unresponsive and almost causing severe crashes until the fuse reset.
    I shot of a video of this happening consistently on my first 2085x before it failed on me. I could feel the heat of the servo on the base of the receiver box, which I knew couldnt be right

https://youtu.be/E0tDHTbJhzk

RC Qualifier
    Got an 8S Maxx when it first came out. I ran TSM on very low for a while but switched to a Futaba 3PV this year.

My stock 2085 has worked fine. I broke a steering knuckle and found something skipped a couple teeth in the steering.

I purchased the metal gear upgrade and got an aluminum steering arm. No problems since.

I have never heard of a servo doing what you describe but replacing the stock servo does seem like a popular play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    I shot of a video of this happening consistently on my first 2085x before it failed on me. I could feel the heat of the servo on the base of the receiver box, which I knew couldnt be right

https://youtu.be/E0tDHTbJhzk
    Thank you for posting the video. I wanted so badly to post a full video of this very problem but was so frustrated and angry with what was happening with these servos that I gave up too soon.

I could have made a ten minute video just like yours showing how the steering fades in and out like that just to prove that it consistently happens over and over.

Although your video is short, I could see that is exactly what was happening with mine.

RC poster
    Just got the new servo in from Traxxas through their awesome warranty process. Truly effortless. I believe my original servo may have just been defective off the rip. The new one is faster, stronger, and just overall more responsive. I'm not taking any chance with TSM as I don't need it but this servo appears to be in tip top shape. I'll report back later if anything changes.

RC Qualifier
    I got my 8S when they first came out and the original 2085 has always worked fine. I never ran TSM and am a pretty light basher compared to some on here.

Anyways, hit a curb and broke a steering knuckle recently. After fixing it the steering wasnít right. Iím guessing I skipped some teeth on the servo horn or inside the servo.

Picked up the metal gear upgrade kit and an aluminum horn and all better.

For the ones with problems, about when did you purchase your truck. It seems they may have gotten a bad batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    @dmarzke - not the stock 2085, the 2085x.

UPDATE: my new one, while it seemed to be working better, is now doing the same thing. TSM is off it just completely cuts off

RC poster
    UPDATE: I contacted Traxxas and a tech confirmed with an engineer that the VXL-6s is causing the issue. I'm actually a bit in shock as I don't think I've ever heard Traxxas admit fault... ever. I'll be installing a new VXL-8s and the second 2085x replacement. This time I'll be swapping out the "TQi Tx/TSM Rx" with a "TQ/non-TSM Rx" just to be on the safe side. I'll report back if anything changes.

RC Competitor
    Oh man, this thread makes me sad.

I'm just putting together a list of "Must have items" for when I get an X-Maxx & the 2085X servo was in the top 3! Starting to wonder if I should be looking at something else.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post

I'm just putting together a list of "Must have items" for when I get an X-Maxx & the 2085X servo was in the top 3! Starting to wonder if I should be looking at something else.
    2085X isn't a bad servo, but the PROMODELER ones are much better overall, more expensive too, but the quality is a lot higher.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post

I’m sure this has been mentioned before, but I’ve had very good luck with Savox servos.

The one I’m currently using in 2 of my XMaxx’s :

https://www.amazon.com/Savox-Monster.../dp/B01LBPTC7O

They have held up very well. I am sure promodelers are the best, but the price is insane for a servo. (Though I’m sure cost is justified in level of craftsmanship)

Just pointing out there are somewhat cheaper alternatives to a reliable servo for the X maxx.

UPDATE: I contacted Traxxas and a tech confirmed with an engineer that the VXL-6s is causing the issue. I'm actually a bit in shock as I don't think I've ever heard Traxxas admit fault... ever. I'll be installing a new VXL-8s and the second 2085x replacement. This time I'll be swapping out the "TQi Tx/TSM Rx" with a "TQ/non-TSM Rx" just to be on the safe side. I'll report back if anything changes.

This is somewhat intriguing to hear considering this problem is evident with the VXL-8S models as well. So......if I am understanding correctly that you have a VXL-6S ESC with this issue, that would mean that this problem has been around since the induction of the X-Maxx and they are just now admitting the problem exists almost six years later?

I wish you had that tech confirmation in an email or recorded somehow, because as you say, for Traxxas to admit fault with such a highly publicized problem and to actually admit it is an ESC issue this far into the game, just makes me furious beyond belief that I was led to believe for 6 months that this problem did not follow newer models with the VXL-8S.

To further confusion, I had already proven in another thread (listed below as a blue link) with a brand new replacement VXL-8S that the problem continued until I swapped out the 6533 TSM receiver with a 6518 receiver. I didn't have the ProModeler servo at the time to further prove something I wanted to, but that was lucky for them I didn't. I even gave Traxxas support a link to the thread and out of the blue, there was this reply from a user that just somehow tried to discredit all the the things I had proven in that thread.

I had also successfully proven in that thread that there was a compatibility issue between the 2085X/2085 servos and 6533 TSM receiver and eliminated the VXL-8S as the cause.

All in all, this makes no sense that they would admit it is an ESC issue whether it be a VXL-6S or VXL-8S equipped model because the problem did not rear its ugly head when I put the ProModeler in the truck using the VXL-8S with a 6533 TSM receiver.

So without further insult being thrown to injury to those of us that have these steering problems using a 2085X or 2085 servo with a 6533 TSM receiver and VXL-8S or VXL-6S as you pointed out (unless that is a typo and you meant VXL-8S), I'm still inclined to believe it is a servo issue period.

By the way, it was post #70 in this THREAD that really ticked me off.

It was non-productive and the poster tried to turn everything around that I was proving at the time by saying I said one thing and then pointing out that I said something else entirely contrary to what I was proving by sending me another ESC as the remedy. The poster only has 16 posts (three at the time of the thread) and his join date just kind of threw caution to the wind as to what he posted versus what he may have actually known about my situation.

He never did reply to my response, so I think I called it out correctly what he was up to.

You have to read the thread in its entirety to actually understand I went to extreme lengths to give Traxxas the benefit of the doubt and rely on their exceptional warranty service and support.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-23-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Updated.

RC poster
    the problem continued until I swapped out the 6533 TSM receiver with a 6518 receiver
    I was going to try a 6519 non-tsm receiver. It doesn't have the extra 2 ports for the motor temp sensor. Not sure if that would be an issue. I feel like it probably would be...

Yes, the tech said he confirmed with their engineer that the VXL-6s ESC was the culprit - He went on to say it had been discontinued for over 5 years and that he would offer me an 8s for only $80 more if I sent the 6s one in. Just bought a new one on ebay for $120 shipped and will sell my 6s.

That's weird. The VXL-6s is what is in the Erevo 2.0 and the problem should have carried over to servo issues in the Erevo also. I'm with Flux that it's the servo and TSM and not an ESC issue. An ESC isn't connected to the servo operation only supplying power to the Rx.

I hope it works out for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I was going to try a 6519 non-tsm receiver. It doesn't have the extra 2 ports for the motor temp sensor. Not sure if that would be an issue. I feel like it probably would be...
    If I recall correctly, the new firmware updates affected whether or not the V/T slot had the sensor plugged in. If you had a 6533 TSM receiver fully updated and the motor temperature sensor wire was not plugged in, the receiver would flash red until the sensor was plugged in.

I'm not entirely sure if it would be an issue with your 6519 because I had only tried it with the 6518's. With a fully updated 6518, I can tell you it flashed red until I plugged the sensor in. Even with the receiver not connected to the ESC and on the bench, it displayed that behavior.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't rebind a known working receiver with it until I figured out the sensor had to be plugged in to continue.

RC poster
    So, Flux, even if I update the firmware on the vxl-8s and 6533 I will still have problems?

I have the stock rx not sure model# and a 2085x. Vxl8s and no issue with my servo or with tsm on. I rarely run tsm on.

Car is fully updated....

Some of us have had issues some of us don't.

Had I known about promodeler before I got my 2085x I would of thrown the extra money and gotten that... Just So i would know it's bulletproof.

So, Flux, even if I update the firmware on the vxl-8s and 6533 I will still have problems?
    I'm just going to say that it will be a 50/50 gamble. To be more honest, I'm going to say more like 70/30, meaning there is a 70% chance that an issue will arise using a 2085X servo because it is not the firmware causing it.

I lost four Traxxas servos over the course of two months (two 2085's and two 2085X's) and I literally only had a couple of minutes run time on each servo that failed. I said two months because I had to wait for the turn around time between each of the four servos and as you recall, back in February and March, the Covid virus was in full swing shutting our economy and shipping times down.

That was back in late March when I shared that thread I linked. My hope was to reach out to others that were having similar issues with the steering going out and possibly reach some kind of middle ground as to why it was happening.

The final conclusion was that I just got a bad batch of servos and bad timing as to getting them replaced.

Actually, there is more to it if you know or read about the fuse in the 2085X servos that keeps tripping because of heat issues because the servo is so confined and not exposed to open air.

Now why this would only happen to some of us and not all of us brings pause to the question of it only being a re-setable fuse issue. You would think that there has to be something more going on with these servos; but the question remains what.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-23-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Updated.

RC poster
    This is somewhat intriguing to hear considering this problem is evident with the VXL-8S models as well. So......if I am understanding correctly that you have a VXL-6S ESC with this issue, that would mean that this problem has been around since the induction of the X-Maxx and they are just now admitting the problem exists almost six years later?

I wish you had that tech confirmation in an email or recorded somehow, because as you say, for Traxxas to admit fault with such a highly publicized problem and to actually admit it is an ESC issue this far into the game, just makes me furious beyond belief that I was led to believe for 6 months that this problem did not follow newer models with the VXL-8S.

To further confusion, I had already proven in another thread (listed below as a blue link) with a brand new replacement VXL-8S that the problem continued until I swapped out the 6533 TSM receiver with a 6518 receiver. I didn't have the ProModeler servo at the time to further prove something I wanted to, but that was lucky for them I didn't. I even gave Traxxas support a link to the thread and out of the blue, there was this reply from a user that just somehow tried to discredit all the the things I had proven in that thread.

I had also successfully proven in that thread that there was a compatibility issue between the 2085X/2085 servos and 6533 TSM receiver and eliminated the VXL-8S as the cause.

All in all, this makes no sense that they would admit it is an ESC issue whether it be a VXL-6S or VXL-8S equipped model because the problem did not rear its ugly head when I put the ProModeler in the truck using the VXL-8S with a 6533 TSM receiver.

So without further insult being thrown to injury to those of us that have these steering problems using a 2085X or 2085 servo with a 6533 TSM receiver and VXL-8S or VXL-6S as you pointed out (unless that is a typo and you meant VXL-8S), I'm still inclined to believe it is a servo issue period.

By the way, it was post #70 in this THREAD that really ticked me off.

It was non-productive and the poster tried to turn everything around that I was proving at the time by saying I said one thing and then pointing out that I said something else entirely contrary to what I was proving by sending me another ESC as the remedy. The poster only has 16 posts (three at the time of the thread) and his join date just kind of threw caution to the wind as to what he posted versus what he may have actually known about my situation.

He never did reply to my response, so I think I called it out correctly what he was up to.

You have to read the thread in its entirety to actually understand I went to extreme lengths to give Traxxas the benefit of the doubt and rely on their exceptional warranty service and support.
    So tell me exactly what I was up to? Everything in my post was correct, you did at first say for sure you thought it was the servo and then you knew for sure it was the esc. Everything you had tried did not seem to work in the novel you wrote about your issues, so Traxxas wanted the truck to see what was going on. I know it is expensive to ship the truck to them but like I said maybe once they figured out what was going on maybe they would have refunded you the shipping costs. And what does it matter how many posts I have? Sorry I got your panties in a bunch.

I'm...
    Quote Originally Posted by RCblast88 View Post
    So...

These forums are not the venue to host an argument. Air your differences out via other means but not here please. Civil debates challenging one's ideas are one thing but attacking each other's characters is another. Fighting online escalates very quickly and if it continues I'll be forced to close the thread - and I don't want to.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    These forums are not the venue to host an argument. Air your differences out via other means but not here please. Civil debates challenging one's ideas are one thing but attacking each other's characters is another. Fighting online escalates very quickly and if it continues I'll be forced to close the thread - and I don't want to.
    My apologies Double G. I didn't attack his character, I rather questioned the credibility with which the post was applied in that thread.

So tell me exactly what I was up to? Everything in my post was correct, you did at first say for sure you thought it was the servo and then you knew for sure it was the esc. Everything you had tried did not seem to work in the novel you wrote about your issues, so Traxxas wanted the truck to see what was going on. I know it is expensive to ship the truck to them but like I said maybe once they figured out what was going on maybe they would have refunded you the shipping costs. And what does it matter how many posts I have? Sorry I got your panties in a bunch.
    It is all good. Your post just came at a time in that thread where I had exhausted all possibilities electronically and didn't see the point of sending in the whole truck when the failures did not point to a mechanical issue.

RC poster
    My apologies Double G. I didn't attack his character, I rather questioned the credibility with which the post was applied in that thread.

It is all good. Your post just came at a time in that thread where I had exhausted all possibilities electronically and didn't see the point of sending in the whole truck when the failures did not point to a mechanical issue.
    I understand. It's all good here too then, and sorry for the bad timing of my post.

I understand. It's all good here too then, and sorry for the bad timing of my post.
    It wasn't so much that it was bad timing, it was that I had just spent some serious time on the phone with support about the problems I was having and then your post appeared in the thread just after I got done talking to them and just seemed rather peculiar or odd to show up at that time.

Maybe it was perfect timing and not bad timing if I look at it another way now that I am not so frustrated by that whole situation that was going on!

RC poster
    It wasn't so much that it was bad timing, it was that I had just spent some serious time on the phone with support about the problems I was having and then your post appeared in the thread just after I got done talking to them and just seemed rather peculiar or odd to show up at that time.

Maybe it was perfect timing and not bad timing if I look at it another way now that I am not so frustrated by that whole situation that was going on!
    Ya I know how frustrating this hobby can be at times, especially when a brand new rc is not running correctly. And an expensive one at that. But I am glad you got your XMaxx issues worked out. They are one of the best all around bashers out there. I've had mine since Christmas and have kept it stock except for upgrading to the 2085x servo and haven't broke anything yet.