RC poster

Motor/pinion suggestion - help, I'm a noob

Hi everyone

I bought a 2WD Traxxas Slash for my son many years ago and he's now old enough to be more interested in crashing and bashing it.

The stock motor died the other day and I'm thinking of getting a Castle Creations 1410 (3800kV) motor with the SW4 ESC.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...BoCwoIQAvD_BwE

We currently run stock Traxxas 7 cell NiMH batteries, but will look at getting 2s Lipos soon.

I understand I'll need a new pinion for the 5mm shaft. I'm just confused about the pinion I need (including how many teeth etc).

Gratefull for any suggestions and tips on whether there's also anything elkse I should be looking to upgrade/change from stock.

Final question, I'm looking to get the same ESC/motor combo for my 2WD Stampede. Assume I'd just get the same pinion etc for the Stampede?

Thanks in advance.

For a 5mm shaft, you may need a 32 pitch pinion, since the shaft is larger than the stock by 2mm. The stock pinion and spur gear are 48 pitch, so you may also have to change that. If you still want to keep the current pinion and spur, Castle also makes a version of the 3800kv combo with a regular sized shaft:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...164-05/p731268
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainnne View Post
    Hi everyone

I bought a 2WD Traxxas Slash for my son many years ago and he's now old enough to be more interested in crashing and bashing it.

The stock motor died the other day and I'm thinking of getting a Castle Creations 1410 (3800kV) motor with the SW4 ESC.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...BoCwoIQAvD_BwE

We currently run stock Traxxas 7 cell NiMH batteries, but will look at getting 2s Lipos soon.

I understand I'll need a new pinion for the 5mm shaft. I'm just confused about the pinion I need (including how many teeth etc).

Gratefull for any suggestions and tips on whether there's also anything elkse I should be looking to upgrade/change from stock.

Final question, I'm looking to get the same ESC/motor combo for my 2WD Stampede. Assume I'd just get the same pinion etc for the Stampede?

Thanks in advance.
    If you stay with 48p gears, go with 16/90 to start.
    That’s the lowest”stock” gearing and will keep heat and top speed to a minimum.

This will get you in the ballpark...

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net...5-0130-01L.pdf
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    For a 5mm shaft, you may need a 32 pitch pinion, since the shaft is larger than the stock by 2mm. The stock pinion and spur gear are 48 pitch, so you may also have to change that. If you still want to keep the current pinion and spur, Castle also makes a version of the 3800kv combo with a regular sized shaft:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...164-05/p731268
    Thanks RCWilly - is that the same product as in the link from my original post? If so, does that mean I could just keep the current pinion and spur? If so - that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This will get you in the ballpark...

https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net...5-0130-01L.pdf
    Thanks Greatscott - unfortunately I'm not able to access the link. Getting an 'access denied' message.

Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    If you stay with 48p gears, go with 16/90 to start.
    That’s the lowest”stock” gearing and will keep heat and top speed to a minimum.
    Thanks fortunespoonz. Unfortunately I don't know what you mean by 16/90. I'm really a novice. Feel free to send me a link to a page and happy to read up
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-25-2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: merge

Thanks Greatscott - unfortunately I'm not able to access the link. Getting an 'access denied' message.
    Go to Castle Creations' website, look up that motor combo and then look at the Quick-Start Guide, it gives you the recommended pinions and spur combinations for the Slash 2WD with this system.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Thanks RCWilly - is that the same product as in the link from my original post? If so, does that mean I could just keep the current pinion and spur? If so - that would be awesome.
    It is the same as the one in your original post, and yes, you can keep the current pinion and spur. Castle also makes the same combo, except the motor has a 5mm shaft, so make sure it has the regular shaft before ordering.

Thanks fortunespoonz. Unfortunately I don't know what you mean by 16/90. I'm really a novice. Feel free to send me a link to a page and happy to read up
    Basically, 16/90 is a ratio between the teeth count of the pinion (smaller metal gear) and the teeth count of the spur gear (larger black gear). Generally, the smaller the pinion or the larger the spur gear, provides more torque, and a larger pinion or smaller spur gear provides a higher top speed. I think 16/90 is the stock gearing for the brushed version.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 09-23-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    It is the same as the one in your original post, and yes, you can keep the current pinion and spur. Castle also makes the same combo, except the motor has a 5mm shaft, so make sure it has the regular shaft before ordering.

Basically, 16/90 is a ratio between the teeth count of the pinion (smaller metal gear) and the teeth count of the spur gear (larger black gear). Generally, the smaller the pinion or the larger the spur gear, provides more torque, and a larger pinion or smaller spur gear provides a higher top speed. I think 16/90 is the stock gearing for the brushed version.
    Awesome - thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Go to Castle Creations' website, look up that motor combo and then look at the Quick-Start Guide, it gives you the recommended pinions and spur combinations for the Slash 2WD with this system.
    Thank you - really appreciate it!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-25-2020 at 01:57 AM. Reason: merge