RC Enthusiast

Stock 2WD Wheels - Does front and back matter?

So I was looking around at new mounted DuraTrax mounted wheels and tires for my daughters 2WD Slash and I noticed for the 2WD it listed either front or rear and from what I can gather the offset is different.

I had her wheels and tires off for a few days and just grabbed them and put them back on. Are the stock wheels and tires front and rear orientated?

Thanks for the help

edit: I looked and all four are listed as the same size on the tire.

So what makes the aftermarket tires be listed as front or rear for the 2WD?
    Last edited by kantonburg; 09-22-2020 at 07:44 PM.

From my understanding the fronts have more of an offset. If you buy front tires for all the way around, they wont look funny. And you can rotate them too. Make sure you get tires with a 12mm hex. I just made that mistake.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

All 4 tires are the same, just the front and rear offsets of the wheels are different. If you put the front in the rear, the wheels will stick out more. If you put the rear in the front, the front of the car will have a less wide stance. If you want the front and back to be the same, get the RPM offset compensation arms: https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-off...m70552/p390825
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    From my understanding the fronts have more of an offset. If you buy front tires for all the way around, they wont look funny. And you can rotate them too. Make sure you get tires with a 12mm hex. I just made that mistake.

I took them off and sure enough on the inside says 2WD Front & 2WD Rear.

I had them backward and I honestly couldn't tell a difference looking at it. I could see the hex on the rears were up a bit more than the front on the inside. Is it for look? I couldn't tell, but m old eyes aren't as particular as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    I took them off and sure enough on the inside says 2WD Front & 2WD Rear.

I had them backward and I honestly couldn't tell a difference looking at it. I could see the hex on the rears were up a bit more than the front on the inside. Is it for look? I couldn't tell, but m old eyes aren't as particular as they used to be.
    Honestly i just tried it with my stock bfgs that come om the slash and it must be maybe 1 or 2mm difference. Its not much at all.

RC Enthusiast
    Honestly i just tried it with my stock bfgs that come om the slash and it must be maybe 1 or 2mm difference. Its not much at all.

That is probably why I couldn't tell. I even measured and it had to be within 1/16". So 1mm-2mm sounds about right.
    Had I not looked at aftermarkets I would have never known.

Yeah its minimal. I think its so you can turn all the way without rubbing the control arms.

That's the only thing i can think of.

RC Enthusiast

That is probably why I couldn't tell. I even measured and it had to be within 1/16". So 1mm-2mm sounds about right.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    Honestly I could probably get two rear tires for now. They are horrible if she goes through even short cut grass.

Yep. I buy the fronts just cause i like the wider look. But everybody is different.

I have proline badlands and they are very grabby on every surface. If you can warm them up a bit, they work well on pavement too.

I'm getting a set of duratrax lockup 2.8 mt for mine. Once i return the last ones i mistakingly bought.

RC Enthusiast
    Yep. I buy the fronts just cause i like the wider look. But everybody is different.

I have proline badlands and they are very grabby on every surface. If you can warm them up a bit, they work well on pavement too.

I'm getting a set of duratrax lockup 2.8 mt for mine. Once i return the last ones i mistakingly bought.

Do they fit under the stock body?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ehhhhh. I think you'll have to do a little trimming so they dont rub. But theyll fit for sure.

I use the proline body mount kit so i can fit probably anything.

Im running the mx28 badlands and that's a 5inch tire and it fits really well with the adjustable mounts.

Last edited by Calebs0615; 09-22-2020 at 10:39 PM.

When you guys were doing your measurements of the width of the front and rear wheel track. Were you measuring both from the front of the wheel and the rear of the wheel? Because the toe setting alone should show a 1-2mm difference. The offset on the front wheels is about 3mm. I installed the RPM a-arms for equal offset so I can run 4x4 rims from the beginning.

I was just eye balling the difference. I didn't measure with anything per say. But like he said with the front wheels, you can see the hub on the wheel, is set in a little further than the rear wheels.

If you look from in front or behind the truck you can see a difference if you swap them around. If its been sitting that way for a while you might not notice.

Also if you use front tires all around you should have the same offset, front and back.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615
    Im running the mx28 badlands and that's a 5inch tire and it fits really well with the adjustable mounts.
    Would that be considered a "Monster Slash" by putting the bigger tires on there?

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    When you guys were doing your measurements of the width of the front and rear wheel track. Were you measuring both from the front of the wheel and the rear of the wheel? Because the toe setting alone should show a 1-2mm difference. The offset on the front wheels is about 3mm. I installed the RPM a-arms for equal offset so I can run 4x4 rims from the beginning.
    I measured the inside or underneath the body for both front and back. I got a camber gauge last week and set that this weekend. -1.5 degrees. I have not set the toe yet though.

On a separate note. I have been reading up on the slipper and wow her slipper was loose.

Yeah id say it looks like a monster slash. That's what i was going for. I got the belted version and they're extremely heavy so i keep breaking axles. But im getting a new set of 2.8s.

They say the badlands mx28s are 2.8s but they're very big compared to a duratrax 2.8.

Also if you're looking into a monster tire, your gonna want to keep the slipper a bit more loose than factory. I had to do this in order to keep an axle in my truck for more than one bash session.. I couldn't gear high cause of heat problems and gearing low was causing broken parts lol.

FYI - The 2.8 measure is the hole in the middle not the outer diameter. So you can match the tire to a rim more easily.

Yeah the 2.8 is the rim size. Its comes with 2.2/3.0 to begin with.

My mx28s are like a 5inch tire. 5.02 I'm pretty sure.