Thread: ESC Cooling?!?!

RC Enthusiast

ESC Cooling?!?!

I have seen someone suggest a 17mm x 17mm fan that they said was "very easy to find" to cool this ESC, but I can't seem to find anything to cool it with. Anyone have suggestions? I don't care if it is pretty, I just want it to fit on the ESC (not the motor) and under the power cables (or other solution?). Are there any 17mm x 17mm fans that anyone knows of? Any other options to keep it cool?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerWeasel View Post
    I have seen someone suggest a 17mm x 17mm fan that they said was "very easy to find" to cool this ESC, but I can't seem to find anything to cool it with. Anyone have suggestions? I don't care if it is pretty, I just want it to fit on the ESC (not the motor) and under the power cables (or other solution?). Are there any 17mm x 17mm fans that anyone knows of? Any other options to keep it cool?
    I would want to know if there is one also because I couldn't find a fan for it.

What I ended up with though was a motor fan that cools both. Integy heatsink with Yeah Racing 40mm fan. The heatsink has vents on the side that allow the fan to blow air straight on the esc and motor.

RC Enthusiast
    I did buy a 40mm fan to zip tie over both the motor (currently has a heat sink on it) and esc, but the power cables are too short to go over, and i don't want to smush them down into the heat sink either. Really want to find one of these tiny fans...

RC Enthusiast
    hop im not hijacking here but I have a weird battery and camera mount set up and an easy move for me would be putting my esc inside the battery bay beneath it. I will be runnign a fan onto my motor so i could put some vent holes in so im blowing air into the battery box.
    Is that an option that anyone has seen or tried? my 1/16 slash is going to be running for longer durations in training mode as I need a long run time but high speed is not required.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
    hop im not hijacking here but I have a weird battery and camera mount set up and an easy move for me would be putting my esc inside the battery bay beneath it. I will be runnign a fan onto my motor so i could put some vent holes in so im blowing air into the battery box.
    Is that an option that anyone has seen or tried? my 1/16 slash is going to be running for longer durations in training mode as I need a long run time but high speed is not required.
    I have seen someone post pics where they had cut out the shape of the esc from the top of the battery tray on their mini revo so they could mount the esc lower to lower their center of gravity. So, it has been done. You will lose a battery tray which will cut down your potential run time.

RC Enthusiast
    I have seen someone post pics where they had cut out the shape of the esc from the top of the battery tray on their mini revo so they could mount the esc lower to lower their center of gravity. So, it has been done. You will lose a battery tray which will cut down your potential run time.
    It almost fits but I dont know how hot an esc gets compared to a battery, i can add airflow from the fan so hopefully it will be ok, because of the camera mount and battery needs i'm running a larger 3600 msh nimh battery mounted on the other side.

RC Enthusiast
    It almost fits but I dont know how hot an esc gets compared to a battery, i can add airflow from the fan so hopefully it will be ok, because of the camera mount and battery needs i'm running a larger 3600 msh nimh battery mounted on the other side.
    You NEED good airflow over the ESC. It will overheat and die if you put it in a position that inhibits the airflow.

RC Enthusiast
    You NEED good airflow over the ESC. It will overheat and die if you put it in a position that inhibits the airflow.
    Ok thanks so if the blue plastic body is 'in' the compartment but the top section isticking up through a cut out with added fan airflow sounds like a plan.

RC Racer
    My motor fan didn’t quite cut it.. ESC still overheated when I really pushed it on 3s... ended up with a 25mm fan from yeah racing.. which seems to do the trick:

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    My motor fan didn’t quite cut it.. ESC still overheated when I really pushed it on 3s... ended up with a 25mm fan from yeah racing.. which seems to do the trick:

Hmm I wonder if the motor fans end up making the Esc hotter? pushing air past the motor and onto the esc?

Im thinking only running 7.4v nimh i wont have the issues you had.

RC Racer
    Hmm I wonder if the motor fans end up making the Esc hotter? pushing air past the motor and onto the esc?

Im thinking only running 7.4v nimh i wont have the issues you had.
    You might have a good theory there. Anyways, I am sticking around 115 degrees on 3s now, so I feel good.

Honestly I bet the wires blocking the airflow to the fan is hurting cooling more than the heat from the motor. I don't use any fans and have no heat issues at all on 3s. I am having more trouble with clicking diffs but my setup is different.
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-16-2020 at 12:17 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Honestly I bet the wires blocking the airflow to the fan is hurting cooling more than the heat from the motor. I don't use any fans and have no heat issues at all on 3s. I am having more trouble with clicking diffs but my setup is different.

Well I was not expecting this! So wired my fan up and it works! Unless itís near my motor! The magnets in The motor stop it working! Does the same if I place it on my dead motor or even hold it nearby but not touching it! so has anyone else had that?

RC Enthusiast
    Well installing the fan the other way up worked!

Magnets huh! how do they work.

Grats on finding a worthy solution.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post

That ESC fan looks great!
    How does your fan attach to the ESC & what have you plugged it into? Just a spare channel on the receiver?
    Looks like a fix that may help my current problems.

Cheers