RC Competitor

Question Mamba Monster 2 vs Sidewinder 8th vs Sidewinder 4?

Hi guys,

I'd like to know the difference between the Castle Mamba Monster 2, Sidewinder 8th, and Sidewinder 4.
    I'm not sure what motor to get. Which motor would be optimal for ~65 miles an hour on 3s? I would Also like it to have some torque to it. I plan to use them with 2.8 tires. I bash on road, dirt, and grass. Running Tekno M6 axles.
    Last edited by Invincibl; 09-23-2020 at 09:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Mamba monster 2 is the only one made for real 1/8 scales. The sidewinder 1/8 is close behind but the mamba can deliver more current. Sidewinder 4 is also capable but rated for less power. Plus the mm2 is rated for 6s. It will be the most capable of the 3 youíve listed since itís designed to throw around trucks like an erevo, so itíll have no problem with a slash. I ran a mm2 with a castle 2200kv motor on 5s with 18/53 gearing and talon 2.8 tires and at half throttle it wheelies and flipped, but Iím sure it was going about 60 or so then, and it had much more throttle to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I would spend the extra 22 dollars and get the mamba monster x over the mamba monster 2 if you are using 2.8 tires and running on grass, it can handle higher BEC current if you use more powerful servos.

RC Competitor
    Im just gonna use one of those cheap amazon servos

The Mamba Monster 2 is the most capable out of those 3. It's their former top-of-the-line 8th scale ESC, but it's an older ESC that has been replaced by the Mamba Monster X. Unless you are getting an amazing deal, it would probably make sense to get a Mamba Monster X over the Mamba Monster 2. The Mamba Monster 2 does not support Sensored operation (the Mamba Monster X does). Has adjustable BEC. It's good for up to 6s but in something like a Slash 4x4, you probably wouldn't go above 4s.

The Sidewinder 8th is Castle's Sidewinder ESC (Sidewinder is their budget line) that is designed for 8th scale vehicles (as well as large 10th scale vehicles). It's a solid step behind the Mamba Monster series. As it was designed for 8th scale, and motors such as the 2200kv 1515 4074 motor, it is still a very capable ESC. It can generally outperform even castle's high-end 10th scale ESCs such as the Mamba X in terms of power handling and heat dissipation. It does have some limitations however. It does not support sensored operation, it does not have a power switch, and BEC voltage is fixed at 5.5v. It's good for up to 6s but in something like a Slash 4x4, you probably wouldn't go above 4s.

The Sidewinder 4 is Castle's latest 10th scale sidewinder ESC. Considerably less capable than any of the ESCs mentioned above. It is the successor to the Sidewinder 3 (which is also still sold, for now). Includes a built-in fan which does help it outperform it's predecessor. It's limited to 3s voltage. It does not support sensored operation, and has a fixed BEC at 5v. It can be a decent ESC for a lighter 10th scale vehicle. It competes well with the Traxxas Velineon ESC.

RC Champion
    Like previous people said, get the MMX. Newer, is sensored. I like the Castle Creations 2400kv on 3S for a Sl4sh. Had it in a monster Sl4sh years ago, loved it. Have it in a Sl4sh Ultimate now, still love it. But I have a MM2 ESC, but only because I already owned one. I would buy a MMX now though
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 09-23-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

RC Enthusiast
    Will the MMX 2400 system fit in a slash 4x4? Anyone got pic's? Would love to see the layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisis View Post
    Will the MMX 2400 system fit in a slash 4x4? Anyone got pic's? Would love to see the layout.
    I don't know that they actually sell the Mamba Monster X with the 2400kv motor as a combo. The 2400kv (3670 aka Hoss/Maxx sized) motor is sold in combos with the Mamba X and Sidewinder 4. The Mamba Monster X is usually sold in combos with with the 2200kv (4074 aka E-Revo sized) motor or the slightly smaller 2650kv 1512 (4066) motor.

Either way, the Slash 4x4 is a large chassis and is big enough to fit any 1/10th or 1/8th scale combo that Castle sells. This is what mine looks like right now with a Mamba Monster X and Castle 2200kv 1515 (4074) motor. I have custom modded a larger fan onto the MMX so that I can chew through 2ft tall grass and weeds, uphill, on a 100F day, while using 4s Lipo without ever hitting thermal shutdown:

RC Competitor
    I think I might get the MM2 just because its simpler and I don't have to worry about the sensor wire. I sorta can't go over $250

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    I think I might get the MM2 just because its simpler and I don't have to worry about the sensor wire. I sorta can't go over $250
    With a fixed budget the MM2 is a great choice over the other 2.

RC Qualifier
    If youíre on a very tight budget, consider the Hobbywing Quicrun 120. Its insanely powerful in a small size. I run two in my brushless sensored Clodbuster on 2s with 4600kv motors and its a beast. I know a couple guys running this esc in other trucks too, such as a SMT10 and Bomber RR10. It is $55 and you need to solder on connectors but other than that, itís a great esc. Definitely get the ~$10 tuning card with it to take advantage of the features. The esc allows sensored operation too, up to 3s LiPo, and is not waterproof but you can crack the case and use some conformal coating on the circuitboards and it should be water resistant. I did that to that esc I put in my friendís Bomber I mentioned. But the mm2 is an excellent choice, I have 2 or 3 of those. Two MMXís. The MMXís are great but I donít like that the BEC voltage isnít as adjustable as the mm2 (mmx is like 4 different options where the mm2 can change in .1v increments) and the wire bundle on the mmx sometimes comes slightly unplugged from the esc itself and glitches the whole truck. Thatís happened to one of my MMXs a few times (hardcore basher Pro-mt 4x4 truck).

RC Competitor
    Well since I have motor model sorted, what's the difference between the 2200 and 2400? People say the 2200 kv motor is a beast. I know the 2400 will be faster but would it be a overall better choice than the 2200kv?

RC Champion
    The 2400kv will not be faster because they are different size motors. If your talking Castle Creations. I believe the 2400kv is 540 size can. I think the CC 2400kv can handle rcs up to 6.5lbs, and the CC 2200kv can handle rcs up to 15lbs.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 09-23-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    The 2400kv motor makes slightly more rpm due to the kv rating, and the 2200 makes much more torque since it has a larger diameter. Brushless motto power is directuly proportional to the volume of the rotor, and the rotor in the 2400kv is a bit smaller than that of the larger 2200kv motor. Castle rates the 2200kv motor at 6s max and the 2400kv motor at 4s max, but you can easily run the 2400 on 6s, as Iíve seen people run the castle 2650kv motor only 6s with no issues. Just an example. For a slash, either option would be fine. The 2400 will seem to have more pep due to the higher rpm, but the 2200 will run cooler due to its ability to make more torque. I will say that the weight difference is another consideration, as the 2200kv motor is 34% heavier (15.1oz vs 11.4oz) so that will affect your handling and further off your left-right weight balance (and front-back). You really NEED 3s minimum for these motors to get a fun and useable rpm and power, so if you were looking to only ever run 4s max, go with the 2400 or 2650. The 2650 is rated for 4s max also. Also, I know Iíve been doing it in this comment, but you donít really need to judge motors by their LiPo rating, but by their rpm rating. The Rpm is kv times voltage. Iíve just been using LiPo size since itís easier and a little less math (and thatís what castle primarily does to rate their motor speed). The 2650 is the same diameter as a 2200 but a little shorter. I ran a 2200 in my slash 4x4 years ago and it was a blast. I have the castle 2400 in my pro mt 4x4 (basically a stampede 4x4 aka a short slash 4x4) and it is fun on 3s, too slow and lacking power on 2s, but AWAKE on 4s. 5s is bonkers, I canít even reach full speed since it flips with all the power it has.

what's the difference between the 2200 and 2400? People say the 2200 kv motor is a beast. I know the 2400 will be faster but would it be a overall better choice than the 2200kv?
    The 2400kv isn't "faster". The 2200kv, being a larger motor, has much more torque. That means you can easily gear higher to make up for the slightly lower KV.

I ran a Mamba Max Pro (predecessor to the current Mamba X) and a Castle 2400kv motor, but it was before they offered a 5mm shaft version. The 3.2mm shaft snapped after a hard landing that caused chassis flex and bent the motor mount plate. I upgraded to a Mamba Monster X and a 2200kv motor.

I ran the 2400kv motor 17/54. I run the 2200kv motor 18/54. That gives me about the same top-end speed, but much more low-end torque, and the motor does not heat up nearly as fast, especially on 4s. It can make my long and heavy Slash 4x4 Monster Truck wheelie like a Stampede.

I still have the broken 2400kv motor. This is what they look like side by side:

I think I might get the MM2 just because its simpler and I don't have to worry about the sensor wire.
    I missed this with my previous post. The option to run an ESC in sensored mode (with a sensored motor) is completely optional. You could simply disconnect the sensor wire and it would automatically run in sensorless mode, just like the Mamba Monster 2. My 2200kv motor is the older sensorless version, and my Mamba Monster X does great in sensorless mode.

RC Qualifier
    This is a discussion on mm2 versus MMx from a few years back and all the points still stand today.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/electri...ter-2-a-2.html

If nothing else, cheapservos benefit from the stronger bec more than anything else since they typically are less efficient than newer more expensive offerings, and the 6a peak BEC in the x is a vast improvement over the 2A limit in the mm2.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    This is a discussion on mm2 versus MMx from a few years back and all the points still stand today.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/electri...ter-2-a-2.html

If nothing else, cheapservos benefit from the stronger bec more than anything else since they typically are less efficient than newer more expensive offerings, and the 6a peak BEC in the x is a vast improvement over the 2A limit in the mm2.
    On castle's website, it says "Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V"
    Also, they say that the Mamba monster 2 can run in rain, where the mamba x isn't recommended to be ran in rain

On castle's website, it says "Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V"
    Also, they say that the Mamba monster 2 can run in rain, where the mamba x isn't recommended to be ran in rain
    Wow! My $60 Hobbywing WP SC8 is waterproof and a $150 Mamba isn't...really? Living in WI and bashing in the snow means waterproof is a must!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Which castle site did you visit?

8a peak is the MMx and it is supposed to be water proof too

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...sc-010-0145-00

Here is the page for mm2

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...sc-010-0108-00

Where does it say 8amp peak for the BEC?

RC Qualifier
    The mamba x can be run in water, they just say to remove the fan. Technically it is less waterproof than the mm2 since the rx wires and data wire plug into pins on the mmx circuit board, but thatís the only difference in waterproof ratings with those two castle ESCs. Iíve used one of my MMXís in water before. But Hobbywing does have a great value for most of their products, I will say. I recommended the quicrun 120 earlier, itís a wicked esc. Not waterproof but I waterproofed a friendís one with Holmes hobbies conformal coating

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Wow! My $60 Hobbywing WP SC8 is waterproof and a $150 Mamba isn't...really? Living in WI and bashing in the snow means waterproof is a must!!
    Look for yourself, I have no idea where he went. The mamba monster x site just says To rinse with fresh water after wet use

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...sc-010-0145-00

RC Qualifier
    Meant to say mamba monster x** not mamba x. Letís stay away from that since itís a less powerful esc that those weíve been mentioning.

All CC motor/esc combos are NOT waterproof in sensored mode because the sensor link wire and connections are NOT waterproof. Without the wire connected the socket is disabled making it waterproof.

RC poster
    Can I run my 3s 6400 traxxas lipos with the MMX esc?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dusky View Post
    Can I run my 3s 6400 traxxas lipos with the MMX esc?
    The Mamba Monster X can handle any lipo between 2s and 6s just fine.

Yes, just solder up the right connectors and your good to go!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Yes, just solder up the right connectors and your good to go!
    Is it that easy with the traxxas batteries since they run the balance wire(?) into a single connector?

RC Qualifier
    You donít have to use the balance wire in the esc. Just get some regular male traxxas battery plugs and solder the main positive and negative wires to the connector. If youíre doing dual battery plugs for a series wiring configuration youíll just do that too. You can see it kinda on this pic (best I have at the moment) of my mmx in my Tekno truck for a series wiring configuration.