RC Racer

Can I speak with a manager? This wasn’t supposed to happen.

Should bend back no problem right :

https://imgur.com/gallery/XkICUt0
    Last edited by afreek1000; 09-23-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by afreek1000 View Post
    Should bend back no problem right
    Is that a center driveshaft block that I see in the upper right hand portion of the photo? Must have been one heck of an impact! I tried to explain to someone on here earlier that even with those center driveshaft supports in the middle, the driveshaft is going to bend at either end no matter how much support it gets in the middle.

Matter of fact, I think it promotes the bending of the center driveshaft because it stiffens it in the wrong place. To fix this problem, a support needs to cradle the whole driveshaft, not just the middle.

The modulation of the X-Maxx has those two flex points working against the center driveshaft full-time.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-23-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Racer
    You are correct on all aspects

Was a bad crash trying to jump over a bobcat loader. Xmaxx met its demise with the bobcat’s blade.

I posted more for the humor quality in it. I knew it wasn’t gonna end well but sure had fun doing it.

You are correct on all aspects

Was a bad crash trying to jump over a bobcat loader. Xmaxx met its demise with the bobcat’s blade.

I posted more for the humor quality in it. I knew it wasn’t gonna end well but sure had fun doing it.
    I wanted to laugh; but couldn't quite tell if you were angry about it or not.

What was the rest of the carnage like?

You did it well then; I guess!

I don't know if it will ever be possible to get something that would cradle the whole center driveshaft, as room is a factor once the center skid is buttoned up.

Now that I know you were bouncing off a Bobcat's blade, realistically we can't hypothesize that any type of center driveshaft support was going to save that driveshaft!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-23-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added something.

I wanna see a vid of it,. Please say you do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I wanna see a vid of it,. Please say you do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I’ve been looking on my phone, unfortunately I don’t have a video of actual crash but at least doing a wheelie on top of the bobcat will suffice

https://i.imgur.com/Z9ttmfD.mp4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I wanted to laugh; but couldn't quite tell if you were angry about it or not.

What was the rest of the carnage like?

Now that I know you were bouncing off a Bobcat's blade, realistically we can't hypothesize that any type of center driveshaft support was going to save that driveshaft!
    This is true

Also suffered a cracked chassis, cracked front bulkhead with sheared off hinge pin, and finally a cracked front shock tower set

All in all, it was a good time. I guess you gotta pay to play.

Any thoughts on how a carbon fiber driveshaft would do in that situation? I’m thinking it could take the flex and bend back.

This is true

Also suffered a cracked chassis, cracked front bulkhead with sheared off hinge pin, and finally a cracked front shock tower set

All in all, it was a good time. I guess you gotta pay to play.

Any thoughts on how a carbon fiber driveshaft would do in that situation? I’m thinking it could take the flex and bend back.
    Yeah, I figured there had to be a cracked chassis and bulkhead at least to go with the bent center driveshaft.

A carbon fiber driveshaft you say? I don't know; but I would love to see what one looks like for the X-Maxx.

Somebody offering one up that you know of?

RC Racer

Just found it!

Yes, that actually looks really good:

The price is up there; but I would be willing to give that a shot if I was fighting with a Bobcat's blade!

EDIT

Just saw your video of the jump/wheelie onto the Bobcat - That was incredible to watch!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-23-2020 at 02:52 PM.

RC Racer
    Just found it!

The price is up there; but I would be willing to give that a shot if I was fighting with a Bobcat's blade!

EDIT

Just saw your video of the jump/wheelie onto the Bobcat - That was incredible to watch!
    Ha! Yes good times, I’m glad you can appreciate a little reckless abandon. My five year old son and I go bashing with our Xmaxx’s and he’s always daring me to do stupid issh. So of course I have to oblige.

Regarding carbon fiber shaft, I know pricey. Though, might have to try and report back.

By the way, having trouble posting pics and vid’s. I use the tools embedded on this website. But still I’m just getting text links rather than direct posts.

Any hints on how to do it properly?

RC Enthusiast
    For that price I think I’d rather have 7 stock shafts.

Somethings got to give, and with a crash an damage like that I don’t know if even the carbon fiber shaft would survive.

By the way, having trouble posting pics and vid’s. I use the tools embedded on this website. But still I’m just getting text links rather than direct posts.

Any hints on how to do it properly?
    You're using imgur correct? If using that, you want to select the "Direct Link" and click copy (it will highlight green when selected) and paste it into the "Insert Image" field on the Traxxas website:

First, sign in to imgur and select images:

Then select the actual image:

Then a screen will come up like this:

That is how you do it for an image; however, your videos are hosted by something other than YouTube, so I am not sure how you would embed your videos as I don't use imgur to host my videos.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-23-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Fixed and added information.

RC Racer
    Wow you da man. Well illustrated, thanks for the info and setting me straight.

Wow you da man. Well illustrated, thanks for the info and setting me straight.
    You're most Welcome!

I added some more pictures to my previous post in case it wasn't all the way clear.

Try to add something to the thread to see if it worked.

I also use Imgur for pictures. Instead of using the direct link and inserting the image, you can automatically copy and paste the BBCode on here without doing anything extra.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I also use Imgur for pictures. Instead of using the direct link and inserting the image, you can automatically copy and paste the BBCode on here without doing anything extra.
    Thank you for that! Quick question though, which one is it of these two? The linked or un-linked one?

Never mind, I found out they both work!

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-23-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Yep, they both work, except the linked BBcode is like a link, and brings you to the Imgur page.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Yep, they both work, except the linked BBcode is like a link, and brings you to the Imgur page.
    Yeah, I saw how that worked, because of the three images I posted in post #17, only the last one can be single left clicked on/tapped and land you on the imgur page.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-23-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Repaired!

RC Racer
    https://imgur.com/a/O0QEyG5

So weird still comeS up as text link. I’m on a mobile devise by the way, maybe that has something to do with it?
    Last edited by afreek1000; 09-23-2020 at 11:31 PM.

So weird still comeS up as text link. I’m on a mobile devise by the way, maybe that has something to do with it?
    Do me a favor and go to "Forum Actions" and select "General Settings" and scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and make sure you have the "Show Images" box checked.

After you check that box, make sure you scroll all the way down to the bottom of that page and click "Save Changes" to make sure your changes stick.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-24-2020 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Fixed.

RC Racer
    Yes, looks like it’s on.

https://imgur.com/a/HDweZgX

Yes, looks like it’s on.

https://imgur.com/a/HDweZgX

Hmmm............I was looking at the image information from my posts with images compared to your parsed links and discovered the syntax is different.

Here is my image information from my post with an image in it:

Notice the syntax in the location field? It has "i.imgur.com"

This is how yours are being displayed:

This is how yours looks parsed:

You have just "imgur.com" and thus the reason it is not working; plus it is broken into two lines and I didn't even see a ".jpg" signifying there was an image involved in your tag!

This is how mine looks parsed:

Your [/img] and [/url] tags are being broken into two different lines and breaking the link.

Try making them look like my parsed tags in my image above. It should be one continuous line with no breaks.

I know I have two lines myself, but that is for two different images. Look at the syntax closely!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-24-2020 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added something.

RC Champion
    Excellent image upload tutorial Flux Capacitor.

RC Champion
    I see this in other thread, but IMHO, looks an aluminum one wrapped in carbon fiber, I don't know is really stronger than stock one, and it's very expensive, I prefer to buy one or two spares of stock one for minus price.

Should bend back no problem right :

https://imgur.com/gallery/XkICUt0

In your opening post, I was able to get your image to display by using the link in the red square box:

As you can see, "/XkICUt0" as displayed in your link, isn't even the correct address of your photo unless you are trying to display it from the "Gallery" (XkICUt0) instead and in which case is not working.

If it is hard to believe, just right click on your photo in my post, and click "View Image Info" and it will give you the correct information to the location of your photo on Imgur!

On a side note, I suspect a text editor program running on your phone is responsible for the incorrect syntax links as I have worked on this a bit to understand why your links are being altered before posting to the site.

In any case, I figured it out by reverse posting to isolate the link problem you are having!

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Excellent image upload tutorial Flux Capacitor.

I'm still trying to make sense of it myself!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-24-2020 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Fixed.

RC Enthusiast
    Just found it!

EDIT

Unfortunately, IMO the issue here is not the driveshaft not being supported along its whole length, the problem is that it is physically connected to a solid point at either end(the diff pinions) and the shaft itself is not flexible while the plastic chassis is.

when the truck hits a solid object or comes down from a large landing and the wheels land normally the whole plastic chassis/middle of the truck between the shock towers flexes down in the shape of a U, this means that the shaft tunnel is no longer straight AND the differential pinions are no longer in line, as the chassis flexes the pinions are not in perfect line, the result is as the chassis flexes the driveshaft tunnel contacts the driveshaft, if hard enough it will bend it at whatever point contacts most forcefully, the pinions being out of line just adds to the force being absorbed by the shaft.

a stiffer chassis is the fix or any method of reducing/preventing chassis flex, but a stiffer chassis will lower overall durability, the more flex the more impact absorption and the less breakage but the driveshaft doesnt flex nearly as much(why it's bending), the more stiff the less flex and more breakage from extreme impacts.

think of it as plexiglass VS tempered glass one flexes and absorbs damage but has flex, the other holds its shape much better until it suddenly breaks.

RC Racer
    Not to hijack this thread but I tried using imgr and wow...it doesn't need to be that complicated. I now use https://postimages.org/ and talk about simple and clean. I haven't found another option to be free and easier to organize your pics and pics into albums. You can also select the pic you want to be your album thumbnail.

You simply copy the shared link called Hotlink for forums and past it in your post and you have an inline image link imbedded directly in your post. I know this can be done with imgr but imo imgr is more complicated, cluttered and trying to organize your pics into albums and such I remember was more complicated than it should've been.

Hope you get your X-Maxx running soon and thanks for sharing that video! Looked like fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maxximustraxx View Post
    Unfortunately, IMO the issue here is not the driveshaft not being supported along its whole length, the problem is that it is physically connected to a solid point at either end(the diff pinions) and the shaft itself is not flexible while the plastic chassis is.

when the truck hits a solid object or comes down from a large landing and the wheels land normally the whole plastic chassis/middle of the truck between the shock towers flexes down in the shape of a U, this means that the shaft tunnel is no longer straight AND the differential pinions are no longer in line, as the chassis flexes the pinions are not in perfect line, the result is as the chassis flexes the driveshaft tunnel contacts the driveshaft, if hard enough it will bend it at whatever point contacts most forcefully, the pinions being out of line just adds to the force being absorbed by the shaft.

a stiffer chassis is the fix or any method of reducing/preventing chassis flex, but a stiffer chassis will lower overall durability, the more flex the more impact absorption and the less breakage but the driveshaft doesnt flex nearly as much(why it's bending), the more stiff the less flex and more breakage from extreme impacts.

think of it as plexiglass VS tempered glass one flexes and absorbs damage but has flex, the other holds its shape much better until it suddenly breaks.
    The differential pinions are housed in the bulkheads that are a modulated piece separate from the center chassis. If it were a true solid point at either end (no modulation), as you suggest, the chassis would not be modulated into three sections as it currently is, and I could readily accept that the center chassis was more responsible for the bends to the center driveshaft.

The whole bulkhead assembly flexes away from the center modulated chassis regardless of the center driveshaft pinion mating with the ring gear.

This is simply semantics in the difference of opinions of what actually flexes more; the center chassis or the modulated bulkhead ends. Realistically, if you had the time and money, you could crash the X-Maxx all day long and still not discover exactly what forces are more responsible for the shaft bending because no two crashes are alike.

If it were more a center chassis flex problem as you suggest, we would see more shafts bent at both ends and not just from crash impacts to the front or rear of the truck.

To prevent the bending of the center driveshaft at either end from flex alone and not just crashes, it probably would have paid off if Traxxas implemented a universal swivel joint just before the pinion connection on both ends of the shaft regardless of what is flexing more.

My final assessment of this is that the center driveshaft is simply too long for an application where a modulated design of this magnitude is implemented to expect no bends in the shaft from flex alone.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-24-2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Correction.

RC Racer
    Wow, all really good constructive info on both topics, thanks everybody.

Though to Nickerz, I think I’m the original thread jacker of my own thread.

Wow, all really good constructive info on both topics, thanks everybody.

Though to Nickerz, I think I’m the original thread jacker of my own thread.

Well you did ask nicely for help in the posting images department; so I think you are guilty as charged!

RC Enthusiast
    The differential pinions are housed in the bulkheads that are a modulated piece separate from the center chassis. If it were a true solid point at either end (no modulation), as you suggest, the chassis would not be modulated into three sections as it currently is, and I could readily accept that the center chassis was more responsible for the bends to the center driveshaft.

The whole bulkhead assembly flexes away from the center modulated chassis regardless of the center driveshaft pinion mating with the ring gear.

This is simply semantics in the difference of opinions of what actually flexes more; the center chassis or the modulated bulkhead ends. Realistically, if you had the time and money, you could crash the X-Maxx all day long and still not discover exactly what forces are more responsible for the shaft bending because no two crashes are alike.

If it were more a center chassis flex problem as you suggest, we would see more shafts bent at both ends and not just from crash impacts to the front or rear of the truck.

To prevent the bending of the center driveshaft at either end from flex alone and not just crashes, it probably would have paid off if Traxxas implemented a universal swivel joint just before the pinion connection on both ends of the shaft regardless of what is flexing more.

My final assessment of this is that the center driveshaft is simply too long for an application where a modulated design of this magnitude is implemented to expect no bends in the shaft from flex alone.
    I think we both agree, I used far less precise language in the description of my opinions on the topic, but the end result seems to be (To me) in agreement.

My argument was not necessarily that the center chassis section (TRA7722) or the front 7721 or rear bulkheads 7727X for that matter that are the source of the flex or that the but that the entirety of the parts and their interlocking design that make up the support structure/chassis of the truck all flexes.

The several drive shafts (3) that i've bent in the last 12 months have all been from the BMX/Skate park from large height(20ft+) primarily from proper suspension absorbed landings(and none bent actually... from crash landings) with the most recent one having been bent in the front 1/3rd and I recall noticing that it was directly in line with one of the reinforcing ribs that crosses the driveshaft channel... it proceeded to then wear down that rib and the shaft as a result of the wobble that was now rubbing the rib with every rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by maxximustraxx View Post
    I think we both agree, I used far less precise language in the description of my opinions on the topic, but the end result seems to be (To me) in agreement.

My argument was not necessarily that the center chassis section (TRA7722) or the front 7721 or rear bulkheads 7727X for that matter that are the source of the flex or that the but that the entirety of the parts and their interlocking design that make up the support structure/chassis of the truck all flexes.

The several drive shafts (3) that i've bent in the last 12 months have all been from the BMX/Skate park from large height(20ft+) primarily from proper suspension absorbed landings(and none bent actually... from crash landings) with the most recent one having been bent in the front 1/3rd and I recall noticing that it was directly in line with one of the reinforcing ribs that crosses the driveshaft channel... it proceeded to then wear down that rib and the shaft as a result of the wobble that was now rubbing the rib with every rotation.
    I do believe we both agree and that we arrived at the same conclusion in a different approach of how it is happening. In other words, I may see the glass as half full and you may see it as half empty; but we both realize that the glass is definitely not all the way full!

I enjoyed your thoughts on the matter regardless of less precise language and it made me look at it from another point of view. A fresh take on how our center driveshafts are bending always makes for invigorating conversation. I haven't even had my truck more than two feet off the ground yet from a jump and you are launching it 20+ feet high; so I really have nothing to brag about yet.

I'll take your account of three bent driveshafts over my zero bent driveshafts as a hint that you are having more fun with the truck than I am at this point. I almost have my X-Maxx to where I want it before I start launching it a little further and definitely higher. I'm trying to learn its stabilization curve while in the air and the problem is until I hit a jump higher than a baby's crib, I'm never going to learn how to stop it from nose diving until I have more float time in the air to see how it recovers and levels out in flight.

My ESC is more forward mounted (almost in-between the front shock tower) and higher (MAX5) in the chassis and it has a tendency to make the truck nose dive more than if the ESC was center mounted down in the cubby hole where the stock ESC normally is mounted. I just have to remind myself that I now have reliable electronics in the truck and just go for it one of these days. I've been eyeballing a good jump that will net me at least 8 feet high and about 35 feet out.

Should be a good starting point to see how the chassis rolls in flight and yet leave me enough time to level the truck out before landing.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-25-2020 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Spelling.