RC poster

Steel CVD's Won't Fit

Hello guys as y'all know I've been working on my Tmaxx. It started as a 2.5 then after too much money I thought I was done.....then came the issues with the clutch bell, the tranny, and the diff's. I've been breaking axles so I figured I'd upgrade to steel cvds.....

I bought a 3.3 chassis that had transmission, diff's, axles, and driveshafts along with all suspension parts. Now this is probably going to sound dumb and shows just how much of a newb I still am. I have all RPM parts on my 2.5 along with many aluminum and titanium upgrades so I took the tranny, driveshafts, and added new 3.3 aluminum diffs. Then went to put in the steel cvds and I learn that the 2.5 is narrower than the 3.3. So I put all the suspension arms on the 2.5 from the 3.3 thinking that would solve my problem.....it didn't. I can't get the bulkheads to go back together, it looks and feels like the cvds are to long to fit. I've tried loosening the balls in the axle carriers but that only helped a little. The axles I bought are for a Tmaxx 3.3 from traxxas.

Can someone please help? I have included pictures of my issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I’m thinking your axle carrier blocks need to be swapped from the 3.3. If the axle shafts and a-arms are for the 3.3 that is the only part left that can be giving you issue. The 3.3 carrier block has two different sized bearings.

Agreed ^ those CVDs are for a 3.3 and require you to swap the axle carriers out and toe links. I got a set of metal cvds from mip that I would sell to you if you want. They will drop right in with your current set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4
    Bandit
    T-Maxx x2
    Revo
    Slayer Pro

There is no difference in the length of a 2.5 a-arm vs. the 3.3, when they went to the 3.3 they also went with Revo Spec driveshafts and axle carriers...

+1 It's the Axle carriers that need to be changed and also the turnbuckles.. IMHO I kept my driveshafts to the wheels 3.3 spec stock. Put dogbone shafts on the centers, it always was the centers that seemed to blow out for man people. For me I preferred having a wider stance... Have your wheel driveshafts failed you?
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    There is no difference in the length of a 2.5 a-arm vs. the 3.3, when they went to the 3.3 they also went with Revo Spec driveshafts and axle carriers...

+1 It's the Axle carriers that need to be changed and also the turnbuckles.. IMHO I kept my driveshafts to the wheels 3.3 spec stock. Put dogbone shafts on the centers, it always was the centers that seemed to blow out for man people. For me I preferred having a wider stance... Have your wheel driveshafts failed you?
    It turned out to be the RPM Axle Carriers they won't fit with the Traxxas Steel CVD axles. I used the stock 3.3 axle carriers with the RPM arms and it works just fine now. As far as to your question I have broken 3 of the axles from differential to wheels and both driveshafts prior to putting in steel cvds and steel driveshafts. I've had no problems since these upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiztidDevil View Post
    It turned out to be the RPM Axle Carriers they won't fit with the Traxxas Steel CVD axles. I used the stock 3.3 axle carriers with the RPM arms and it works just fine now. As far as to your question I have broken 3 of the axles from differential to wheels and both driveshafts prior to putting in steel cvds and steel driveshafts. I've had no problems since these upgrades.

Humm, Could your slipper have been to tight?? Maybe some landings and some throttle or bakes applied?

If your slipper is too tight, it's not allowed to do it's job which is to take some of the strain off the entire driveline. Yes, CVD's will hold up, but if that slipper is too tight, what about the rest of your driveline (tranny, diffs, etc). Worth checking and enjoying the CVD's as well.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall