RC poster

Stampede 4x4 vxl engine smoking

hello,

I was recently driving in the grass for a few minutes and all of the sudden it seemed like the truck lost power. the engine sounded the same but it would only go half speed? after a minute or two the engine started smoking... i have the 17 tooth pinion gear with the 3s lipo batter so i know i should not have been in the grass but was not out there long and figured the truck could handle it... i was told it was the bearings in the engine but they seem tight and intact. there is a burning smell inside the engine after i take it apart but not sure what to do next???

Im able to hold the spur gear in place and spin the wheels im not sure if thats normal either? i have only had this truck for a few weeks
    Last edited by khopfner88; 09-23-2020 at 09:42 PM.

The loss of power you felt was probably the esc going into over heat protection.

As for the motor, if you saw smoke coming from it, its more than likely dead. But you said you've only owned it for a few weeks so you might be able to contact traxxas and get a new motor.

It more than likely happened cause you were driving it grass. That puts a huge amount of load on the drivetrain. It must've been fairly deep grass for it to get that hot.

I'm sorry that happened to you. But its a lesson learned for sure..

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

A 17 tooth pinion is a pretty high gearing for running on 3s in the grass. Like Calebs0615 said, the loss of power is most likely the heat protection, and the motor is probably fried. I would call Traxxas anyways, but I don't think they would do anything about it, since it isn't a product defect.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

There are only so many things inside a brushless motor that could burn to the point of releasing smoke. Mainly the epoxy that holds everything together.

If the epoxy gets hot enough to start smoking, then you have two potential issues.
    -The winding might start to come loose and potentially cause a short-circuit.
    -The magnets can begin to demagnetize (due to the extreme temperature).

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance on the A B C motor wires. Measure all combinations, and compare the measurements. They should all be the same. If one is different, you very likely have damage.

If your magnets have partially demagnetized, your motor will not seem as powerful as it did before.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    There are only so many things inside a brushless motor that could burn to the point of releasing smoke. Mainly the epoxy that holds everything together.

If the epoxy gets hot enough to start smoking, then you have two potential issues.
    -The winding might start to come loose and potentially cause a short-circuit.
    -The magnets can begin to demagnetize (due to the extreme temperature).

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance on the A B C motor wires. Measure all combinations, and compare the measurements. They should all be the same. If one is different, you very likely have damage.

If your magnets have partially demagnetized, your motor will not seem as powerful as it did before.
    Or just plug it in and see if it goes fast.

I run 12/54 with 6 inch tall 3.2 tires.

I use a center diff and it still backflips on command.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    Or just plug it in and see if it goes fast.
    Yeah, if it has a partial short-circuit, might as well go for a 2-for-1 and smoke the ESC also, right?