RC poster

4-Tec brushed or brushless

This would be my first on-road RC and planning to bash around and race friends in parking lots. No organized track racing etc. I'm trying to figure out which would be better for me, the brushed or brushless (VXL) version.

If it matters/helps, I'm do enjoy sliding through corners, but probably not full on drifting. Fast straight-a-ways, and sliding through corners is my kind of fun.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by MAKDaddy; 09-24-2020 at 01:43 PM.

RC Racer
    I would get brushless, it is faster and more efficient because it uses magnets.

I would say get a brushed, and then upgrade to a sensored brushless, since sensored brushless motors do not cog while sliding, and overall runs smoother. Also, I think the brushed version offers an overall better value compared to the brushless, and you can have the brushless system of your choice.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 09-24-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I would say get a brushed, and then upgrade to a sensored brushless, since sensored brushless motors do not cog while sliding, and overall runs smoother. Also, I think the brushed version offers an overall better value compared to the brushless, and you can have the brushless system of your choice.
    I say go for brushless and upgrade the motor if it ever dies.

The brushless edition has many additional upgrades besides the motor.

Here are the differences (but I think it would still be cheaper if you went with the brushed):

Adjustable suspension arms (toe, camber) vs plastic non adjustable
    Steel center main drive shaft vs aluminum
    VXL brushless system vs brushed XL5 12t 550
    harder tires (soft brushed tires are already very hard)
    TSM RX
    TQi radio vs TQ radio
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Well I don't own a vxl-3 but i do believe they are a sensored capable esc, so buying the brushless model then purchasing a sensored brushless motor might be the way to go. But I would think the Traxxas esc doesn't have the adjustability of a quality brushless esc, so might be replaced anyways...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Brushed is limiting on this car. It's like, should I get a Civic or Civic Type-R? Go VXL or get a roller and upgrade.

RC Competitor
    The vxl or ford gt brushed has TSM and the good radio. Don't get the mustang or brushed chassis only, unless you're already planning to take out the radio system for a good one.

Out of the box, throw a body on and a lipo, you can have power slides for days with the VXL. 2s or 3s will work good.

RC poster
    Thanks to all for your thoughts. I ended up getting the purple edition GT (brushed, but the TQi radio). So far I'm pleased with it. Just playing with friends in a parking lot on "track" made with chalk. They're cars are brushed as well, although not Traxxas models, and the competition seems to be pretty fair.