Protek Fan fitment on yeah racing heatsink or other possible fans that do fit

How's everyone doing?

Looking for a new fan to try out on my yeah racing heatsink that is currently installed on my motor. I don't want yeah racing fans anymore because the fans have gave me nothing but issues after upgrading to aluminum fans must be a bad batch or I gotten defective fans twice.

The heatsink accommodates two 30x30x10 fans. The fan I am looking lists 2 different dimensions on the listing on the title says 303010
    On another dimension listed lower below it says 313110.5
    Anybody running this fan on the yeah racing heatsink. The heatsink is 60 mm enough for 2 30mm fans but I don't know if it will fit, Because the protek fan is a mm longer.
    Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-2111/p995313

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I run R1 fans on my rigs now. They move much more air but are only plastic cases. They are quiet fans and move a ton of air. Got sick of trashing the Yeah racing fans. R1s have been my best path thus far.

https://r1wurks.com/products/30x15-8...nt=50824666246

Thanks for the suggestion I actually saw you mention about r1 fans on another post while Googling. I can't handle plastic I always smash the casing at least on the yeah racing fan how has the r1 fans held up. I'm afraid to buy one then I destroy it.

Last edited by Rico116; 09-24-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Yeah I broke several Yeah plastic fans landing on my lid from high heights, even bent several aluminum housings. I have run the R1s on my street truck for about a year with no issue. But it doesnt see big air like my basher. Threw them on my basher a short while ago and only got one session it and didnt end up on my lid much...so relative to so far...they are great. They are built IMO better then the Yeah fans. I also ditched running spacers, so the fans are right against the motor heat sink. Looses a small amount of air flow but still keeps temps plenty cool and prevents them from sticking out so much.

They sound like they perform pretty decent as long as you don't take it bashing I land on my back a lot still a beginner driver lol. I also think the spacers could contribute too failure of a fan despite it being aluminium. I think the fan would take a lot more impact elevated on 2 washers which probably would hold up better mounted to the heatsink.

You could see the fans are suppose to be even, touching each other but right now it is sitting on 2 washers most likely from impacts.
    Edit I could actually see in the picture the right fan casing is starting to bend a little bit. I guess yeah racing fans should be pretty good for street runs and stuff and maybe minor bashing.
    Last edited by Rico116; 09-24-2020 at 10:36 PM.

RC Racer
    It may be a stupid question but what do the fans do for your as far as cooling? What i mean is does cooling offer longer run times and more consistent power or are they prolonging the longevity of the parts they're cooling and making them last longer before needing replacement?

RC Racer
    Any of you guys seen any decent 12v fans? I've gotten a few computer fans but they are very fragile. Currently using a 6v one off the receiver, but prefer running off the 3s battery.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    It may be a stupid question but what do the fans do for your as far as cooling? What i mean is does cooling offer longer run times and more consistent power or are they prolonging the longevity of the parts they're cooling and making them last longer before needing replacement?
    There isnt no stupid question around here. When I use fans it does keep the motor alot cooler. I also feel like the run times do extend a bit. I also feel like if the motor isn't running so hot helps the speed control out to extend your run times a bit. And probably helps from burning your motor out, but you have to be real negligent to not monitor your motor temperature especially if you are aware that a motor should not be hot for a while, But if you dont know you learn.

I like the rc hobby because I am constantly learning something new.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    There isnt no stupid question around here. When I use fans it does keep the motor alot cooler. I also feel like the run times do extend a bit. I also feel like if the motor isn't running so hot helps the speed control out to extend your run times a bit. And probably helps from burning your motor out, but you have to be real negligent to not monitor your motor temperature especially if you are aware that a motor should not be hot for a while, But if you dont know you learn.

I like the rc hobby because I am constantly learning something new.

Hmm. I normally run my car until the battery dies, 6s. I didn't know i was supposed to keep an eye on things...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Any of you guys seen any decent 12v fans? I've gotten a few computer fans but they are very fragile. Currently using a 6v one off the receiver, but prefer running off the 3s battery.

What do you mean how do you run something off the battery? I know you could run stuff off the receiver. I haven't seen any fans that are 12 volt as the speed control regulates everything. But someone please clarify what 12v fan means as I feel like 12v is really high. I know their is operating voltage. This subject still greatly confuses me, but I am trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    Hmm. I normally run my car until the battery dies, 6s. I didn't know i was supposed to keep an eye on things...
    Hey that's why you ask questions now you know. Better to know than not know at least something. Knowing a little bit is a starting point. I check things like every 10-15 minutes make sure everything feels and looks fine. Just a quick inspection of the the whole car make sure nothing is destroyed takes like a minute and a half. Would hate to destroy a electronic especially considering how sensitive electronics are, if their abused.

Last edited by Rico116; 09-25-2020 at 08:44 AM.

I run hobbystar fans which look the same, just a different name on the side. They don't fit the powerhobby 2 fan mount very well. On my outcast, I egged out the holes in the bottom of the fans and was able to get them to screw on. On my ERBEv2, I decided to try sanding the two edges of the fans that touch. That was a lot more work, but it did work. Where the logo is on the side of the fan is recessed about .5mm and I ground each side down until that logo was sanded off, then a hair more.

I also used some 2mm spacers under the fans to help promote better air flow. The 2mm version of these:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-al...acer-10pk.html

I cut the screen as needed (mesh I used), put washers on some screws, then pushed them through the screen/fans. Then I put the spacers on each bolt and crimped the spacers just a bit so they would hold onto the screw. Then put some threadlock on the screws and lined them up/started screwing them into the mount. I worked my way around all 8 screws doing a turn or two on each until the fans were locked down. Probably would have been easier to use 2 pieces of mesh, then I could have dealt with each fan one at a time.

I have the BEC at 7.2V and the fans push a ton of air. I also put these fans on my max6 esc's as the 35mm OEM fans would break after a few big jumps. I used 2 screws to hold the fan to the heat sink and 2 in the esc cover to hold it on. Seems to be working fine so far.

These alloy framed fans hold up far better and do a good job keeping things cooler so I can run though full packs without overheating.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 09-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running a single power hobby 35x35x10 fan on the same heatsink. It fit s perfectly in the 1st and 3rd set of holes, : :: : arranged like that, where the stock 30x30x10 fans would fit in the 1st and 2nd holes and the other in the 3rd and 4th set of holes.
    I did this because I kept breaking the rear fans on bad crashes. After 3 crunched fans I decided to just throw in a backup esc fan and it has worked. Though I haven't had any bad crashes yet, so I can't speak to durability.

RC Racer
    What do you mean how do you run something off the battery? I know you could run stuff off the receiver. I haven't seen any fans that are 12 volt as the speed control regulates everything. But someone please clarify what 12v fan means as I feel like 12v is really high. I know their is operating voltage. This subject still greatly confuses me, but I am trying to learn.

12v fan to run off a 3s battery. I've seen several rated for 8.4v, to run off a 2s battery, but I use 3s. To run it off a battery, you just solder on some jst plug leads to the battery connector on the esc. Just takes some stress off the esc's bec (though minimal). In case you dont know, the esc's bec is what regulates the battery voltage to 6v (or there abouts) to power the receiver. But the more you draw from your receiver, the more heat is created in the esc, which is why I run off the battery. This isn't necessary, and probably shouldn't even be something to worry about for the most part. I'm just a little extra cautious with some things.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I run hobbystar fans which look the same, just a different name on the side. They don't fit the powerhobby 2 fan mount very well. On my outcast, I egged out the holes in the bottom of the fans and was able to get them to screw on. On my ERBEv2, I decided to try sanding the two edges of the fans that touch. That was a lot more work, but it did work. Where the logo is on the side of the fan is recessed about .5mm and I ground each side down until that logo was sanded off, then a hair more.

I also used some 2mm spacers under the fans to help promote better air flow. The 2mm version of these:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-al...acer-10pk.html

I cut the screen as needed (mesh I used), put washers on some screws, then pushed them through the screen/fans. Then I put the spacers on each bolt and crimped the spacers just a bit so they would hold onto the screw. Then put some threadlock on the screws and lined them up/started screwing them into the mount. I worked my way around all 8 screws doing a turn or two on each until the fans were locked down. Probably would have been easier to use 2 pieces of mesh, then I could have dealt with each fan one at a time.

I have the BEC at 7.2V and the fans push a ton of air. I also put these fans on my max6 esc's as the 35mm OEM fans would break after a few big jumps. I used 2 screws to hold the fan to the heat sink and 2 in the esc cover to hold it on. Seems to be working fine so far.

These alloy framed fans hold up far better and do a good job keeping things cooler so I can run though full packs without overheating.
    Alot of work but if it works that all that matters which is kind of the route I'm leaning more and more towards the longer I'm in this hobby. Functionality for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirestarter View Post
    I'm running a single power hobby 35x35x10 fan on the same heatsink. It fit s perfectly in the 1st and 3rd set of holes, : :: : arranged like that, where the stock 30x30x10 fans would fit in the 1st and 2nd holes and the other in the 3rd and 4th set of holes.
    I did this because I kept breaking the rear fans on bad crashes. After 3 crunched fans I decided to just throw in a backup esc fan and it has worked. Though I haven't had any bad crashes yet, so I can't speak to durability.
    Thanks for the advice I didn't think you could place anything bigger than 35 mm on the heatsink but I'm going to have to measure to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    12v fan to run off a 3s battery. I've seen several rated for 8.4v, to run off a 2s battery, but I use 3s. To run it off a battery, you just solder on some jst plug leads to the battery connector on the esc. Just takes some stress off the esc's bec (though minimal). In case you dont know, the esc's bec is what regulates the battery voltage to 6v (or there abouts) to power the receiver. But the more you draw from your receiver, the more heat is created in the esc, which is why I run off the battery. This isn't necessary, and probably shouldn't even be something to worry about for the most part. I'm just a little extra cautious with some things.

Interesting thanks for the clarification. I learned a little bit off what you said. I'm gonna take a look at my esc and look at everything in detail as I learn visually.

Alot of work but if it works that all that matters which is kind of the route I'm leaning more and more towards the longer I'm in this hobby. Functionality for the win.

Yep. I bash alone and drive about an hour to my main bash location, then drag my stuff a little over 1/8th mile, so I do whatever I can do to be able to run pack after pack with minimal downtime or issues. I also take at least 2 trucks with me and typically after running one truck to LVC, I let it sit, then run the other one. Unless I'm testing something like cooling, gearing, etc. Then I'll run pack after pack to see if I run into heat issues.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss