Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY
    Posts
    61

    Not very impressed!

    So far Iíve had my HOSS for 3 weeks. Iíve broken (2) front axles, (1) right front control arm, bad servo, and and blew out the stock shocks. There were a few other mishaps but easy fixes. What gets me is, my kids both have SLASHís and bash on them 24/7. Zero issues really. I thought the HOSS would be able to take a hard beating and still come back for more. Iím just shocked at how fragile it seems to be.

    Do I upgrade the control arms and keep bashing or sell it and try something elseís?

    My other cars are:
    MAXX
    SLASH Ultimate 4x4

    Wifeís car: RUSTLER 4x4 VXL
    Kids: SLASH 4x4 VXL

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    693
    It seems like a lot of people are having problems with the HOSS... But if it was me, and I asked myself do i sell or fix, this is what I would consider:

    Buying the same parts that im breaking, isn't working so my only option is upgrade to something that wont break. But then I would have to consider what else could break?

    But if I was to sell it, there's a chance i may take a hit.. Just for the fact that either I sell it broken, or anybody that knows about the HOSS will know its prone to breaking.. Think of it like this, how much would you spend on a truck that you know breaks every other run?

    So now its a matter of taking a loss on a new truck that breaks, OR fixing a new truck that breaks and upgrading until it doesn't..

    Either way you look at it your going to lose money.. So now you could look at how much fun do you have with the truck? If you upgraded to the point where it doesn't break, is it worth what you spent on the fun that you're having? When there's still that possibility its going to break. And at that point you'll need even more expensive parts.

    Something to keep in mind

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,415
    Like I have said before the Hoss is a money-pit for the inexperienced drivers who not used to fragile rigs. The price I believe miss leads people into thinking it is durable and don't actually examined it's construction with an unbiased eye. The web page alone gave me pause.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    693
    I think a lot of the axle problems are from landing in the throttle. And the big tires don't help either. Ive had my truck for 6 months or so and i still have a hard time taking my finger off the throttle when im in the air. It happens fast.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I think a lot of the axle problems are from landing in the throttle. And the big tires don't help either. Ive had my truck for 6 months or so and i still have a hard time taking my finger off the throttle when im in the air. It happens fast.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    I’m convinced it’s the higher torque motor plus center diff allowing one set of wheels to spin faster than the other and the tires catching traction while under throttle is worse than the slipper clutch cars. Else the stampede 4x4 would have been off the market long ago for breaking down constantly.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 09-25-2020 at 04:26 PM.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,279
    It's a stampede with more torque... so, yeah, stuffs going to break on it. Really surprised traxxas even made the thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    not in an ocean
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigeoh View Post
    So far I’ve had my HOSS for 3 weeks. I’ve broken (2) front axles, (1) right front control arm, bad servo, and and blew out the stock shocks. There were a few other mishaps but easy fixes. What gets me is, my kids both have SLASH’s and bash on them 24/7. Zero issues really. I thought the HOSS would be able to take a hard beating and still come back for more. I’m just shocked at how fragile it seems to be.

    Do I upgrade the control arms and keep bashing or sell it and try something else’s?

    My other cars are:
    MAXX
    SLASH Ultimate 4x4

    Wife’s car: RUSTLER 4x4 VXL
    Kids: SLASH 4x4 VXL
    I would recommend you get a Maxx, but you already have one!

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,782
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    It's a stampede with more torque... so, yeah, stuffs going to break on it. Really surprised traxxas even made the thing.
    Nope. The hoss has a center diff, and is mire of a Rustler 4x4. Iíve seen first hand what it does to the diff. Itís pitiful, flex, pins move, diff ruined, truck doesnít run. Iíve yet to hear anything positive on this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,279
    Well... different with center diff vs slipper, higher torque motor, rustler length chassis, maxx/rustler body mounts, different bumpers. The rest is pretty much the same. Maybe rustler sliders, which are said to be better than the old ones.

    Otherwise, same arms, c-hubs, axle carriers, diffs, steering geometry/parts, etc. That's the stuff I broke most.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,782
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Well... different with center diff vs slipper, higher torque motor, rustler length chassis, maxx/rustler body mounts, different bumpers. The rest is pretty much the same. Maybe rustler sliders, which are said to be better than the old ones.

    Otherwise, same arms, c-hubs, axle carriers, diffs, steering geometry/parts, etc. That's the stuff I broke most.
    I agree that itís just a mixed bag of vehicle. Kind of like a Frankenstein, so far the hobby store Iíve been to thatís sold them, theyíve all come back, right away. Heís done with Traxxas, apart from the X-Maxx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    739
    And the self fighting ďfeatureĒ. That canít possibly help the failure rate.

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY
    Posts
    61
    Disabled it today. Truck drives much better and more control.

  13. #13
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,337
    I dunno, mine has been very durable. Stock shocks and servo suck, but the rest of the truck is good IMO. I've broken more stuff on my Granite 4x4 BLX in the same amount of time.

    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,279
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I dunno, mine has been very durable. Stock shocks and servo suck, but the rest of the truck is good IMO. I've broken more stuff on my Granite 4x4 BLX in the same amount of time.

    What wheels/tires are you running on that?
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    739
    The description on the video says jconcepts chopper tires but I want to know what wheels those are too, looks real sharp

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    598
    Those tires look like they work well. I just have a personal hatred toward tires where the tread is comprised of nothing but tiny rubber nubs. I fully acknowledge that they provide the best traction on loose dirt surfaces, but they simply wear-out way too quickly. It hurts my brain to know that I would be wearing down 10-20% of the tire tread for every pack I run through it, and could wear a brand-new tire bald in a single pack if I ran on the street. No big deal if you are a racer who practically rebuilds their entire car between every race anyway, but a nightmare for a basher. On the flip-side I have trenchers that are 5+ years old that have been run hard on a regular basis yet still have 70%+ of their tread remaining. You would have to be doing burnouts on sandpaper to wear-out a set of trenchers or badlands mx28 tires.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,279
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    The description on the video says jconcepts chopper tires but I want to know what wheels those are too, looks real sharp
    Ah, didn't click on it yet, was working and just saw the thumbnail. Will watch the video later tonight.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    The description on the video says jconcepts chopper tires but I want to know what wheels those are too, looks real sharp
    I think they are the Jconcepts Rulux 2.8

  19. #19
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    I think they are the Jconcepts Rulux 2.8
    You are correct!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,782
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I dunno, mine has been very durable. Stock shocks and servo suck, but the rest of the truck is good IMO. I've broken more stuff on my Granite 4x4 BLX in the same amount of time.

    Iím sure driver skill plays into my opinion, which is really just the opinion of the LHS owner, who has seen every one sold come back. You being a seasoned RC driver, will know boundaries better than most.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    159
    I would say that it's always about the driver, The only parts I've ever broken on my E-revo 2.0 were the back right toe link and I blew out the back right tire (drifted it into a pole going about 45), and that was completely my fault. If you take care of your cars they will last a lifetime. I think that Traxxas needs to use their skill system more, they tend to skip around on numbers and they don't really advertise the skill as much because they don't want people to be afraid to buy the more skilled vehicles. The Hoss is just a Stampede 4x4 with a bigger motor and a center diff, it has more power so it's easier to break. They should really point out the skill ratings more so people are more cautious when buying it, It does have a rating of 4 after all.


    Edit: They need to give the E-revo a higher skill rating too, how does it only have a rating of 3? I can easily say that it takes more skill than the Maxx, that thing is so hard to break and doesn't even have as much power as the E-revo.
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-02-2020 at 09:55 AM.

  22. #22
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    It's a stampede with more torque... so, yeah, stuffs going to break on it. Really surprised traxxas even made the thing.
    Yup just an upgraded stampede. I own a Maxx, the Hoss is basically the same exact truck just smaller with plastic shocks. Ive broken 3 driveshafts in nearly 2 months so will be upgrading soon plus I run on 3s. Just wish Traxxas would've done a better job with the Maxx like make it little bigger than what it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun stunt truck just way smaller compared to the XMaxx. In my opinion I think the Hoss will fade away.
    Last edited by Evolution37; 10-06-2020 at 07:46 AM.

  23. #23
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,092
    I compared the weight of the stock hoss tire to a proline 2.8 badlands v1. They are a similar size, but the stock tire was much heavier.

    That extra weight on all four corners plays a big part in making the truck fall into the ďfragileĒ category. It leads to all the problems the OP had.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolution37 View Post
    Yup just an upgraded stampede. I own a Maxx, the Hoss is basically the same exact truck just smaller with plastic shocks. Ive broken 3 driveshafts in nearly 2 months so will be upgrading soon plus I run on 3s. Just wish Traxxas would've done a better job with the Maxx like make it little bigger than what it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun stunt truck just way smaller compared to the XMaxx. In my opinion I think the Hoss will fade away.
    Or the stampede 4x4 vxl will fade away in favor of the clipless body version the hoss has.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  25. #25
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Or the stampede 4x4 vxl will fade away in favor of the clipless body version the hoss has.
    The pede is best truck for someone just starting out plus they have 4x4 kit version last time I checked and I believe it's skill level 1 maybe 2.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Or the stampede 4x4 vxl will fade away in favor of the clipless body version the hoss has.
    I hope not but I think you are right. The number of clipless bodies is steadily increasing: xmaxx, maxx erevo, Rustl4r, now the hoss.

  27. #27
    RC Champion NYbandit33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,213
    I havent had much time for my RC’s lately so I havent been paying close attention but when I saw this come out a few months ago I figured it would be a popular truck. Based on the threads im reading this thing sounds like a real flop. With the rustler chassis, odd esc/motor combo and plastic parts it looks like this was slapped together with spare parts. I dont think this truck was needed. Stadium trucks like these are fun for everyone because they go over rough terrain and dont roll as easy but that box is already checked by the maxx, 4x4 rustler, e-revo. Id like to see them make somthing like the Infraction or Felony (smoking tires not necessary)
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    I havent had much time for my RC’s lately so I havent been paying close attention but when I saw this come out a few months ago I figured it would be a popular truck. Based on the threads im reading this thing sounds like a real flop. With the rustler chassis, odd esc/motor combo and plastic parts it looks like this was slapped together with spare parts. I dont think this truck was needed. Stadium trucks like these are fun for everyone because they go over rough terrain and dont roll as easy but that box is already checked by the maxx, 4x4 rustler, e-revo. Id like to see them make somthing like the Infraction or Felony (smoking tires not necessary)
    It’s actually not a rustler 4x4 chassis, but more of a one inch longer stampede 4x4 chassis.

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY
    Posts
    61
    I actually got a lot of the issues ironed out. Installed GTR shocks w/VG Racing springs, TRAXXAS shock guards, GPM axles, Proline Badlands 3.8 tires, aluminum body mounts and some othe aluminum bits. Since the upgrades I’ve had a ton of fun with this truck and it’s been my go to bash toy.

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigeoh View Post
    I actually got a lot of the issues ironed out. Installed GTR shocks w/VG Racing springs, TRAXXAS shock guards, GPM axles, Proline Badlands 3.8 tires, aluminum body mounts and some othe aluminum bits. Since the upgrades I’ve had a ton of fun with this truck and it’s been my go to bash toy.
    What wheels/hubs do you use for those to get them to not rub on everything when you turn? I have some old 3.2" RPM 1/2" offset wheel/tire combo's from back in the day, but even with 6mm extended 17mm hubs, I don't think any of them would fit well without another half inch or so.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  31. #31
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Clifton Park, NY
    Posts
    61
    I’m still using the 12mm hubs. I’m running 2.8 not 3.8, the 3.8’s are on my MAXX. I made a mistake when was posting earlier.. Here’s a link to what I have:

    https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •