RC Racer

I think I need help

Hey guys.

So today I bought a merv and a maxx for 400 bucks. Good deal right?

Not so fast!

They were both completely torn apart. I have the merv under control but the maxx is totally new to me. Can you guys take a look at this photo and tell me if there's anything obvious missing? I expect im missing some bearings etc so just ignore stuff like that. ANY advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Most of the stuff seems to be there. Are the diffs in the diff housing? I only see a few gears...
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    The rear diff is attached to the chassis still but the front one is not.

RC Racer
    Im guessing the orange and green are widemaxx arms? Are they also the cold weather ones? Should i use them or stick with the black if i wanna use stock driveshafts?

RC Racer
    Also, if anyone has a link to an owners manual that has all the exploded diagrams id love to get that.

Link to the info you need:

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...maxx?t=support

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Link to the info you need:

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...maxx?t=support

Have fun!
    Squeegie! You're in the maxx scene aswell? Shall i keep this badboy or put it together and sell it? Gotta get my 400 bucks back or im in trouble with the missus. Can sell this or my slash...

RC Champion
    Sell the slash ,unless too much invested -
    The Maxx is way more fast,fun and durable than slash
    screws come with
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Man, it's crickets over here compared to the slash and trx4 forums...

RC Enthusiast
    Good deal for $400. I just traded a Summit (stock) and Deadbolt (upgraded) for a Maxx with Arrma 6s motor set-up. A lot faster than the smaller Traxxas 4s and I run 3s.

RC Racer
    Well.... it definitely wasn't all there. And if it was, a lot was cracked or broken. Lol. Here's my parts list! At the end of the day I'll have paid right around 400 bucks canadian in total. Still a pretty good deal for a maxx i think! And I got the fun of rebuilding a truck from the ground up!

RC Racer
    Well, I sold my slash today so I'm all in on this maxx! Made a good profit on the slash so I've got enough to finish up this re-build.

Other than drive shafts, are there any recommendations on upgrades I should do right away? And is TSM necessary on a monster truck? I dont have a tqi radio for it and im thinking about just using my flysky...

Did you like/have tsm on your slash? I kind of like it on the maxx when I'm running full throttle across the field and it's bumping all over the place because of the terrain... Helps it stay straight... Generally through, not a deal breaker.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    Im guessing the orange and green are widemaxx arms? Are they also the cold weather ones? Should i use them or stick with the black if i wanna use stock driveshafts?
    Just from the pics the orange look like stock dimensions and the green look like the extended version..
    $400 in any currency seems like a good deal for a Maxx to me! Luckily it wasn't the 6 wheel version! Lol

RC Racer
    Hahaha

That 400 also got me a merv so i think it was a really good deal.

I had tsm on the slash but i could never decide if i liked it or not. I think it makes you a less good driver in the long run. I never had it for the first 10 years of my rc hobby addiction! But then again, maybe it doesn't matter how good you are. Its not like im gonna go pro racer...

RC Champion
    Flysky radio would work
    just without stability management

Ran it yet
    fabricator

RC Racer
    These are the springs I got with the truck. I cant see any markings on them and i cant really tell if any are stiffer. So other than physical length which looks like 4 of each size to me I'm not sure which size i should use. Also i figure i should change the oils while im at it.

So, what weight oils do you use and which springs? I've installed the regual length arms not the widemaxx for the time being.

RC Competitor
    These are the springs I got with the truck. I cant see any markings on them and i cant really tell if any are stiffer. So other than physical length which looks like 4 of each size to me I'm not sure which size i should use. Also i figure i should change the oils while im at it.

So, what weight oils do you use and which springs? I've installed the regual length arms not the widemaxx for the time being.
    The 4 springs on the right are front springs, the 4 on the left are rears.

You can tell by the amount of ‘turns’ the spring makes, the more ‘turns’ the softer the spring.

Don’t know about oils, I run stock but don’t bash really hard... guess how harder you plan on landing your Maxx how heavier the oils!
    Live life to the Traxxas Maxx! 💪🏻

RC Racer
    Oh so when you buy a widemaxx kit it comes with a pair of rears that you install on the fronts?

RC Racer
    Oh so when you buy a widemaxx kit it comes with a pair of rears that you install on the fronts?
    That is correct. As far as shock oil weight Iíve had great results with 50 in the rear and 35 in the front. Iíve also had great results thinning out the center diff oil. It comes stock with 2 million weight. I removed about half of it and topped it off with 500,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I agree with the 50 weight in the rear..these Maxx's are rear end heavy..I drove around in a school parking lot with mild speed humps and on the original shock oil I would get rear end chassis slap just from going over those

RC Racer
    I rebuilt the shocks and put 55w in the rear. I had some already and figured it was close enough. Stuck some fresh 30w in the fronts. I watched a youtube vid that said the same thing about the centre diff but the dude said there was 20 million in it! That seemed catzy to me. 2 mil makes more sense.lol. I'll try this setup first and then when i decide to install the widemaxx i can always change up a few things.

RC Racer
    I rebuilt the shocks and put 55w in the rear. I had some already and figured it was close enough. Stuck some fresh 30w in the fronts. I watched a youtube vid that said the same thing about the centre diff but the dude said there was 20 million in it! That seemed catzy to me. 2 mil makes more sense.lol. I'll try this setup first and then when i decide to install the widemaxx i can always change up a few things.
    Sounds like the same video I watched. Itís definitely 20 mil. Traxxas has it for sale on there site. I was basically able to pull the whole blob out and pull it apart. Itís kinda like silly putty. I saved the other half in a old pill bottle just in case.

RC Racer
    Just a few parts to go!
    1 drive cup
    1 drive shaft
    1 reciever box
    1 reciever
    1 pinion gear

They're all ordered

RC Racer
    Are there any drawbacks to the widemaxx kit at all? I feel like I might just be being stupid not installing it right away...

RC Racer
    Are there any drawbacks to the widemaxx kit at all? I feel like I might just be being stupid not installing it right away...
    If your running stock plastic axles, then yes youíll snap them very easily. Other than that is the price. Not only do you have to pay for the Steel CVDs $120 but it requires a 17mm hub adapter $20 & the wheel nuts $12. So itís a extra $152. But it handles way better with it.

RC Racer
    I like using the wide kit. It handles much better and rolls less. Just my opinion.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    I like using the wide kit. It handles much better and rolls less. Just my opinion.
    Do you use the stock driveshafts?

RC Racer
    It LIVES! just finished adding the last few parts into this bad boy today. Took it out for my first ever drive of a maxx! I was impressed! Coming from a slash this is truly the next level. Big and bad to the bone. Cant wait to take it to the bike park and hit a few real jumps!

Last problem I have though, my front wheels are still pointed inwards. See the photo. What is causing this? I cant figure it out. The aluminum rods i have on there are the same length as the stock plastic ones so I'm really confused. Any advice? Also there is a bit of slop in the front wheels, is that normal?

RC poster
    You killed it for $400 gamble, doesn’t always come out that way. Love it.

RC Racer
    Yeah i ended up being into the truck for about $550 after all the missing or broken parts. Still a good deal considering it came with a gensace 5000mah 4s lipo that seems to be working great.

I love how clean the inside stays on this thing! With my slash i was constantly cleaning out around the motor and esc. These big shock towers seem to double up as inner wheel wells. Nice desgin that i never noticed until running it.

I think i figured out the steering. The pin that screws into the bottom of the knuckle pulled out just now after a bad landing. Must be worn out in there. Cheap enough fix.