Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36

    spur gear advice

    what's everyone using. should i just ditch the pins and manually mesh it. finally got a new battery since one of mine developed an issue and i took a few teeth out of the spur gear.

    is there an aftermarket solution that's better than stock or should i just go stick to stock.

    i beat it like it owes me money and i will probably use it mostly around where i live which is half surrounded by a sand pit so yeah there's sand everywhere..

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    what's everyone using. should i just ditch the pins and manually mesh it. finally got a new battery since one of mine developed an issue and i took a few teeth out of the spur gear.

    is there an aftermarket solution that's better than stock or should i just go stick to stock.

    i beat it like it owes me money and i will probably use it mostly around where i live which is half surrounded by a sand pit so yeah there's sand everywhere..
    Mate, the manual mesh is better, but if your use the stock 18/54, use the pin system, no problem with it in this case, you can swap you stock spur gear for a GDS one, is hardened and better quality than stock one.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, the manual mesh is better, but if your use the stock 18/54, use the pin system, no problem with it in this case, you can swap you stock spur gear for a GDS one, is hardened and better quality than stock one.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15
    stock motor and electrics for the moment. i think sand might have gotten in there so i did order one of the dust cover deals.
    probably get a stock gear for the moment to keep running and order the GDS one since it seems like it's going to take awhile for that to show up.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    28
    Some perspective/thoughts on the mesh system in this thread:

    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-my-new-X-Maxx

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    100
    I meshed mine by hand after hearing too many horror stories about people shredding their gears with the pin system. (using other than the stock gears) Just make sure if you mesh by hand that you keep the motor perfectly parallel to the drive line. if it's angled at all, you have a pretty good chance of ruining your gears.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    i'm guess either something got in there like sand from where i was running it or in some weird twist it did it when i landed weird..i've had plenty of rc's and rolled them while driving fast and never smoked a spur gear.


    EDIT
    forgot about this but anyone ever run the belt drive setup from ARC hobbies. it's a stock motor so if anything i'd probably try and kill that before buying a new motor.
    Last edited by 95blackz26; 09-29-2020 at 01:13 PM.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    i'm guess either something got in there like sand from where i was running it or in some weird twist it did it when i landed weird..i've had plenty of rc's and rolled them while driving fast and never smoked a spur gear.


    EDIT
    forgot about this but anyone ever run the belt drive setup from ARC hobbies. it's a stock motor so if anything i'd probably try and kill that before buying a new motor.
    I install a belt drive from WFO RC, it's very smooth and like it very much. I use an aftermarket motor and ESC.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I install a belt drive from WFO RC, it's very smooth and like it very much. I use an aftermarket motor and ESC.
    did you use the pins or just manually mesh/line it up. have you had any problems with belts. i was thinking of getting it and a couple extra belts just in case.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    did you use the pins or just manually mesh/line it up. have you had any problems with belts. i was thinking of getting it and a couple extra belts just in case.
    With belt systems, you don't need to use the pins, I haven't issues with belts, when I buy the kit, buy a few belts too.

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    With belt systems, you don't need to use the pins, I haven't issues with belts, when I buy the kit, buy a few belts too.
    i didn't know if there was one of the default pin setups that would work. anyway ordered the belt kit and an extra belt. first time the spur broke on me it took out half the cush drive. this last time just a couple of teeth.

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    19
    Well worth getting 7759 motor mount washers too.
    These stop the mount screws being pulled through chassis and locate the stock mount better.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard@JP View Post
    Well worth getting 7759 motor mount washers too.
    These stop the mount screws being pulled through chassis and locate the stock mount better.
    done and on the way now. thanks.

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard@JP View Post
    Well worth getting 7759 motor mount washers too.
    These stop the mount screws being pulled through chassis and locate the stock mount better.
    I use this washers in my aftermarket motor mount too, it works well.

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I use this washers in my aftermarket motor mount too, it works well.
    got it all together with those washers. as far as the belt how tight do you guys run them on this.

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    got it all together with those washers. as far as the belt how tight do you guys run them on this.
    I buy the washers apart, and then the motor mount and the rest of stuff for belt conversion.

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I buy the washers apart, and then the motor mount and the rest of stuff for belt conversion.
    i got the washers which were traxxas parts and the belt drive along with the motor mount riser from another place. how tight do you guys run the belts.

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,323
    Tight enough as to not slip
    fabricator

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Tight enough as to not slip
    This, I tigthen it to the point to not slip, run it and then tight it again, to adjust the tension.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •