RC poster

Question Revo shift servo problems

Hello,
    I just got done repairing my second hand revo 3.3. (The shift gear was broken). I haven't driven it since I bought a new radio to shift. My old radio was a 2 channel.
    But now I'm running in the problem that my shift servo is going way further then the shift link is possible to go. I'll leave some footage of at the end but it continues to go back and forth, while it is already in reverse.
    If tried resetting the radio, resetting the opti-drive and even hard-mounting the shift servo into my reciever and trying it that way. If also tried adjusting the link but that didn't help either. I don't really know what to do next and I really would like to keep the reverse. So saying ''ditch the optidrive and go for a fwo conversion'' is useless.

Hope you can help!

The youtube video: https://youtu.be/RZ35nJyiZE0

What happens if you disconnect the linkage from the servo? Does the servo continue to keep turning?

FWIW: You can bypass or get rid of the opti-drive and still have reverse.

RC poster
    When I disconnect the linkage from the servo, the servo horn goes to 1/2 mm away from the inside of the reciever box to the other side. Just as Traxxas say is supposed to happen. But my linkage from the tranny won't go as far as the servo wants to go.
    If also bypassed the opti-drive but the same thing still happens.

Ther servo is supposed to have more range than the linkage can move. You see the coil spring on the hinge for the linkage? This coil spring is there to absorb the extra range of motion from the servo, especially since the endpoints on the reverse servo aren't adjustable IIRC. That is normal.

As for the jittering in the servo from the video, not sure there... Like was mentioned, test the servo without optidrive. If it still freaks out like that when plugged into the receiver, then the servo might be toast. Or plug a random servo into the optidrive and see if that causes a random servo to jitter that way.

Your reverse servo should, for the most part, be dead silent when not moving, and not make any odd noises while moving. I think many people do a FOC and blame the optidrive, which is a common cause for issues, but it could also just be a bad reverse servo. Hopefully you have a random servo you can plug in to test.

-Mike

RC poster
    The servo doesn't jitter like the video when i disconnect the link. It's just the coil spring is pulling it back I think. I will make a video of the servo without the linkage and post it in a bit. How ever, if noticed that when I have my Revo off. I can freely move my shift servo without any resistance. But when I turn it on it's almost impossible to move because of the resistance.
    I'll also post a video of the different servo. I only have a 1/10 servo but i don't think that matters?

RC poster
    Here are the links for the video's.
    https://youtu.be/86VFOWKk0zA
    https://youtu.be/gsSXAYMJ6II

It sounds like the gears or something is wrong with the servo. You shouldn't be hearing grinding.

RC poster
    So I should replace the servo? Or can I buy the gears seperate so I can save some money?

RC poster
    And if I'm going to buy a new servo, shall I go for the PowerHD TRX-4 micro-servo or for the normal TRX2065.
    Or if i'm only replacing the gears, do I go for plastic or metal gears

RC Racer
    You don’t need metal gears for what you’re asking that servo to do. You can buy the replacement gears for $4.00. If that solves your problem, awesome. If not, I would just replace it with stock.

Open the servo and check if the gears are stripped. Replacement gears Part#2064.
    If they are not stripped I would replace the servo.

RC poster
    Oké, will do.
    Thanks!