Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    14

    Rod ends: Traxxas vs. RPM

    Hi, I have a slash 4x4 converted to MT. Currently I am trying to reduce the awful slop in steering. Already changed the bellcrank for aluminium one and that helped A LOT. I also found out that my rod ends have also noticeable slop on both sides. It’s probably due to the heavier tires and rolovers/hard landings. I want to change them but I need your help. My 2 options are TRX and RPM ones (I wanna keep them plastic) Which one would you recommend? I know RPM are made from softer material, but doesn’t that mean they will have bigger slop after the same period of time as “harder” TRX ones?

    Thanks for any input.
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

  2. #2
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    38,021
    If you want to stick with plastic, I'd just get the Traxxas rod ends. I like RPM parts, but I've had very few issues with the Traxxas rod ends that would make me want to switch.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,357
    The RPM ones stretch/wear just as bad/quick as the traxxas ones. I tried them on my stampede 4x4.

    There's a lot of slop in the steering on this platform.

    I have a thread where put bearings in the ackerman bar on my hot racing steering rack:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...h-stampede-4x4

    And another where I got GPM c-hubs with bearings for the king pins:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6544847

    Now the only slop is in the servo itself, the upper turnbuckles, tierod ends and hinge pins.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    261
    Do metal rod ends help? Or do they make the rods themselves break

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,572
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    The RPM ones stretch/wear just as bad/quick as the traxxas ones. I tried them on my stampede 4x4.

    There's a lot of slop in the steering on this platform.

    I have a thread where put bearings in the ackerman bar on my hot racing steering rack:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...h-stampede-4x4

    And another where I got GPM c-hubs with bearings for the king pins:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6544847

    Now the only slop is in the servo itself, the upper turnbuckles, tierod ends and hinge pins.
    How well is it still holding up? I may have to do something similar for a winter project since I now live where it snows.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Do metal rod ends help? Or do they make the rods themselves break
    Typically, they snap the rods going into them. I tried them a few times for shocks, didn't end well. Easier to replace a busted shock end when out bashing than a shock shaft. Would assume the issue would be similar on tierods. I'd make sure to have some spare ones on hand when out running if you want to try metal ones. Also, make sure to locktite them.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    How well is it still holding up? I may have to do something similar for a winter project since I now live where it snows.
    I haven't run it a lot. My 6S trucks have been consuming my time. I have 12 bash sessions on the GPM c-hubs with bearings and 2 with the modified Hot Racing ackerman bar with bearings. So far, no issues... and I'm never easy on the thing.

    This was right before a landing that snapped a front GTR shock shaft:


    So, the c-hubs and ackerman bar are getting a workout.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for the tips guys!
    Monster Sl4sh HCG w/ HW Max10 SCT|Castle 2650Kv

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •