RC poster

When to replace shocks?

So I just got my Slash a couple of weeks ago and I know that the shocks are still good, but when do you know that you should replace your worn shocks?

Unlike your basic automotive shocks, you simply change out the shock oil for fresh when you feel it is necessary. Somewhat like race shocks (Fox or King for example) they are rebuildable. Racers are on top of this, perhaps some/most bashers as well. I will check oil levels in mine if they start to leak, add oil as necessary. Do upgrade to aluminum caps if you don't already have them and put some miles on your truck. Now if the shocks leak, they may need a rebuild, not much to these things as you will quickly learn. YouTube will get you up to speed on a shock rebuild. Some folks will tell you you have to upgrade and get these or those particular shocks. Everybody has an opinion. Personally, I love the stock plastic bodies with aluminum caps, Slash rears are on the front of everything I have ever scratch built. It is all in how you tune/adjust them as to how well they work anyhow. So if you like what you have, drive it. Looking for bling? There are many options and mfgs willing to take your money. Welcome to the site and the hobby.

Welcome. I feel like mac fab pretty much said it all. I change the oil every few months to keep it clean. And i upgraded to the big bore shocks. I believe they're the same as your plastic ones. Just an upgraded version of the stock shocks you use. Stronger shaft, bump stop, and aluminium caps.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hans1128dog View Post
    So I just got my Slash a couple of weeks ago and I know that the shocks are still good, but when do you know that you should replace your worn shocks?
    +1 for the Ultra shocks. Easily rebuilt.

Assuming you don’t bend the shaft, the shock will eventually leak due to O ring wear.
    Much quicker if you bend the shaft. You can add 1/4” of fuel tubing to the shaft as a bump stop.
    There are proper bumpstops available too. A must if you jump lots. Alum caps too as mentioned.
    The other leak is at the caps, especially after an oil change I find. Replace suspect bladders and don’t overtighten.
    There’s some trial and error to get it right but lots of videos and posts to help out.
    I do own some aftermarket shocks too. I’ve only ever bought them with used rigs.
    I won’t pay retail. They are better, but not $80 better... Save your money for batteries to play more...
    All Ultra shock parts can be replaced, and proper care means they will last a long time.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 09-30-2020 at 04:43 PM.

RC poster
    So it sounds like you rebuild/replace your shocks every year or there about. All I really am looking to doing is some lite bashing mostly on street not much off road.

RC Qualifier
    Once a year should be ok for light use. But have a few spare bladders on hand and at least one rebuild kit...

RC Champion
    Aluminum shock caps are a must for the ultra shocks. The rebuild kit makes the shocks much smoother for some reason. Other than that, the ultra shocks are a good shock for bashing.

But if you're hucking your truck 10 or 15 ft in the air and expecting Parts not to break, well then.................

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

As a basher, I change mine when they leak or I bend a shaft, but even then, I rebuild/refill them if the shock body itself isn't damaged. I don't have plastic bodied shocks on anything except my savage flux hp, it has big bore plastic shocks on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss