Thread: Mamba X or SW4

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .

Question Mamba X or SW4

Hello again!

I have finally decided to bite the bullet on a brushless system. With the help of Google and the almighty search function () I have decided to go with the Castle Creations 3800 motor. What they haven't been able to help me with is the decision for which motor shaft or ESC to go with. I am willing to pony up the extra cash for the Mamba X as compared to the Sidewinder 4, but I would like to know it is more worth it. The sensored and datalogging features sound quite nice, and I would more than likely sit down and fiddle with them until everything was perfect, so they would get used. After that, I have the question of motor shaft size. I understand that the 5mm compared to the 3/8 in. is more durable, but pinions cost more, and it is harder to find SAE 48p pinions for them, but on the flip side, if I am shredding spur gears (despite clutch adjustment) it is easier to get 0.8 module pinions for them.

Which ESC and which motor shaft size would you recommend and why? Thank you for all of your help!
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

Well, 5mm shaft is always going to be better than 3.2mm shaft if you have the option. With a smaller motor like the 3800kv motor however, it's unlikely that you would break the shaft even if you went with the smaller 3.2mm shaft.

Are you buying as a combo or buying the motor/esc separately? The Mamba X is a good esc, but the Combo with the Mamba X and 3800kv motor seems unusually expensive. For $10 more you could get the Mamba X / 2400kv motor combo, which is a much larger motor, and easily worth the extra $10.

The Sidewinder 4 / 3800kv combo is much more palatable in terms of price, considering it's $95 cheaper than the combo with the Mamba X. I run a Sidewinder 3 with a 3800kv motor in my spare Stampede 4x4 and a Sidewinder 2 with a similar-sized 3300kv motor in my Rustler. The Sidewinder ESCs get the job done, and the stock cooling fan on the SW4 is better than past models.

I run the 3mm shaft with the SW4. I went with the 3mm shaft just because it was the only one in stock at the time of purchase, and also the stock pinion will fit. I went with the SW4, since I just wanted to try a Castle combo, and didn't want to pour $200+ into it. Turns out though, I think it would have been better if I had gotten the Mamba X, because the SW4 internal BEC is only 5V, while the Mamba has an internal BEC up to 8V. Keep in mind, the Mamba X is also sensored, so it has much smoother startups.

I would say get the 3mm Mamba X, since the even 3mm shaft would be hard to break, and more pinions fit, and the Mamba X has more bells and whistles (the Mamba X can also take up to 6s).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you both for your help!

So far each of you are telling me the to go with the other option, and both of the reasonings behind it sound good.

The reason I am not going with the 2400 kv option is that, although it sounds wonderful, I have seen reports of it simply being too powerful and I would like to keep my current driveshafts and it also requires 3S packs to make it worth using adding to the cost.

Anyone want to break the tie?

GotNoRice has got a good point in the 2400kv SW4 having better value, but getting the Mamba X with the 3800kv still offers better value than just getting them separately, it's just that the 2400kv offers better value. I'm thinking of the 2400kv for my Slash 4x4 on 3s, but I have the SW4 3800kv in my Slash 2wd.

With 16/90 gearing running on 2s it runs very cool, and has a similar top speed as the stock brushed motor, but it has tons more torque, and accelerates up to speed quickly. It also runs very quietly which is pretty nice. If I floor it, the slipper is going to slip for several feet before properly engaging (you can hear it), and the brakes are more than enough to lock the rear wheels on asphault.

The SW4 is enough, but sometimes when I try to "crawl it" over some small obstacles (low tree roots), it starts cogging a bit, and the car gets stuck. If you would like it to have smoother starts and stops get the Mamba X, otherwise, the SW4 would be more than enough for you.

RC Qualifier
    I think I am going to end up going with the the Mamba X simply because my 2056 (which has been more than enough for my needs so far) probably won't do very well at a measly 5 volts, and by the time I add in the cost of a BEC or servo, the price difference is down to 60 dollars.

Still not decided on the 1/8 in. vs. 5 mm. I'll figure it out eventually.

Thank you to everyone for your help!

If you don't think that you will ever break the shaft, then get the 1/8 in. The 5mm is 275, while the 1/8 in is only 220, so that is a very big price difference.