Thread: Heat issue

RC poster

Heat issue

I have a Slash VXL 3s. I recently replaced the old esc under warranty because it fried. 2 runs on the 6400 3s lipos and everything except the battery is getting hot. I took the motor off after a week of letting the car sit, put a battery to the system, pulled the trigger 5 times and the motor didn't spin at all. The motor was hot and the esc fan was blowing hot air. I obviously need a new motor, but should that system be hot to the touch after a couple trigger pulls? Could the replacement esc be defective and causing my issues? Are my lipos to much juice? Is the motor a warranty item? Help me out please!

What motor are you running?

What gearing?

What tires?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Go to your LHS, maybe they can test what’s wrong/broken (ESC/motor/battery). They probably have the right tools to do so

RC poster
    I'm running the stock vxl motor and tires that came with the truck. I think the gearing is 58/13(maybe). Gearing is good for 50mph according to the traxxas sheet.

It's normal for the truck to run hot on 3s, especially if you are using a large capacity pack and running the entire pack through it without taking any breaks. Even more-so on a hot day. But just saying that it was "hot" is way too vague. It can feel "hot" yet still not be hot enough to cause problems.

What were the circumstances via which your old ESC "fried"?

It seems odd for your motor to simply not work. When a motor overheats to the point of causing damage, you usually notice either when the epoxy inside the motor begins to smoke and/or when the magnets start to demagnetize (usually not completely). You would probably have noticed if your motor was smoking, and even if the magnets had begun to demagnetize, your motor would still work, but power output and efficiency would decline in relation to the level of demagnetization. It would be odd for a motor that was working previously to all of a sudden stop working the next time you plug it in.

A 3s lipo is not "too much juice", but it is capable of pushing the VXL system to it's limits. You have to monitor temperatures if you use 3s lipo, especially if you are running anything above stock gearing. On their speed charts, Traxxas lists their highest speeds as using 3s LiPo along with the optional high-speed pinion. That would result in overheating very quickly, and should not generally be used unless you are simply doing speed runs. The VXL system is a decent system, but it's not a high-end system. If your goal is to bash on 3s without having to care about temperatures, you'll have to upgrade.

RC Racer
    I’m only running 2s, even though I have a 3s, ecouse of the heat issues. After winter, I’m getting a 1415

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    I’m only running 2s, even though I have a 3s, ecouse of the heat issues. After winter, I’m getting a 1415
    You will be extremely happy with the El Sob special 2.0! It can run 2 and 4s with little to no problems. I always run a heatsink and a Yeah Racing fan on my motors for cheap insurance
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    I had heat issues and ended up with this setup, which keeps me from getting too hot on 3s during long runs..

My trade off is that it makes it difficult to get to the mesh screw or the ESC mount screws.

RC Racer
    You could also upgrade the motor, there are a couple of threads about that not to long ago