RC Competitor

VXL-3S seized up on me.

Looks like the output shaft bearing went BYE-BYE! Lots of up/down/around play when wiggling motor shaft. . . .is this going to be as simple as a rebuild kit? Anyone??

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

There is a rebuild kit for the motor with the bearings, and some hardware: https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...a3352r/p604065
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    Looks like the output shaft bearing went BYE-BYE! Lots of up/down/around play when wiggling motor shaft. . . .is this going to be as simple as a rebuild kit? Anyone??
    You can replace worn out bearings with new bearings, sure. But the failure that you describe is not very common. I have a VXL motor that is almost 10 years old that has seen life in 5 different vehicles and has never been rebuilt. Identifying the reason for the failure is important or your setting yourself up for a repeat. Does your motor simply have a TON of hours on it? Do you push the thermal limits often? Do you run in abrasive environments (sand, salt-water, mud, etc)? Do you land huge jumps often? Do you run your gear mesh way too tight?

RC Competitor
    Not gonna lie, sometimes, my mesh may be tight, because it seems to come loose after a bit of bashing , at least when using those "fixed gear" adapters.

Also, ran in wet sand last night, and didn't get to thoroughly clean everything ( long story), also, i usually run till the motor is roughly 140-157 MAYBE 159 degrees...also, i trt to send it when i get the opportunity, although i PROMISE, I NEVER go out and run without at LEAST 3-5 jumps (1foot high, up to 3 feet maybe 4' high)...then i always lay her down, LID OFF, directly in front of a box fan on "high" inside my garage. Till she cools to the touch.

Rusty 4x4 is MAYBE 3 months old, and gets used pretty good, DAILY, unless she busted and i don't have the backup parts handy...which is seldom.

RC Competitor
    Also, (possibly unrelated), i noticed i CANNOT for the LIFE of me...figure out how to keep the rear, center-driveshaft input's grub screw tight for over 8 minutes at a time! Ive tried loctite blue, super glues, etc. And she always comes loose

Does it heat up? High temperatures make loctite and superglue ineffective. Have you tried completely coating the screw with red loctite?

Also, have you seen any damage to the screw or the threads it screws in to?
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    The chassis has a pretty good amount of flex, expecially with large jumps. When you tighten the grub screw on the drive shaft adaptor make sure its in its rear most position. The little bit of slop will eat uonsome of the before mentioned flex. I use blue locktight on the screw and a chassis brace. Mine has not loostened again after
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

RC Competitor
    Thanks you all for the replies. Got a velenion 3500 rebuild kit, and back up and RRRRRIpppppiiing.!