Roller Questions

Ive been saving for a 4x4 rustler and i was thinking today that i might be able to get a roller instead and use the spare parts I have. My question is can i use said parts?

The spare electronics are from my slash 2wd truck. I have the vxl3s system in my slash and I would swap that into the rustler instead i think. What's opinions on the vxl vs the xl5 system?

I have spare spur and pinion gears but would i need different pitch gears for it to work?

I know the receiver and transmitter wouldn't be an issue. Thatll fit. I have tsm in my slash, would it be recommended with the rustler too? I know 3s can be a handful with my slash at times. Tsm is basically a must with that. But with 4x4 isnt it more predictable to steer? Would tsm really be necessary?

Also I would need to buy another servo but the ecopower wp110t would be just fine im pretty sure. It works great with my slash. The fitment almost isnt quite right but it works and hasn't gotten loose on me. Its like a millimeter shorter than the slash servo. (I think its a 2065) Maybe less.

I also have a LiPo and a NiMh battery and the ez peak charger. So i wont need a battery or charger.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I would say just use the VXL 3s you have. The XL-5 is brushed and is pretty slow compared to brushless. If you are getting an XL-5, used ones are often much cheaper than the new ones. It's best to get them from chop shops (removed from new models), since it is cheaper than buying it "new" and it isn't technically used.

The Traxxas 2wds use 48 pitch gears, while the 4x4s 32 pitch gears, so you might want to get a 32 pitch pinion.

TSM... I'm not a really big fan of it to be honest, it does help in some situations for a 2wd, I but just find myself fighting it. A 4x4 is much more stable, especially in loose terrain. A 4x4 with relatively bad tires will almost always be more stable than 2wds with better tires in my experience, so TSM isn't really needed.

For the servo, I think the stock one is 2075, the 2065 is the micro servo used in the 1/16 trucks and shift servos for the TRX-4.

Also, for the roller, I found a pretty good one on eBay (it's an RTR without the body and electronics):https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-T...EAAOSwiNBcs~n9

Glad to hear you are getting another truck!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Okay 32p gears. Thank you. I was actually looking at that one believe it or not haha.

As for tsm i also didnt think i would need it as much with the 4wd. Thank you.

And yes 2075. If I wasnt lazy i would've went out and looked at my old one. Thank you again.

EDIT: This may seem like a stupid question but do i need both 32p pinion and spur gears? Or just the spur?

Last edited by Calebs0615; 10-01-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Yes, you need both 32 pitch pinion and spur. Pitch is basically how close together the teeth of the gears are, or how many gears there are on a gear of a certain diameter.

In the picture below, a 32 pitch gear is on the left and a 48 pitch gear is on the right. You will notice that they won't quite fit with each other:

The reason that there are different pitches is because they are used for different applications. Smaller, lighter cars use 48p because the gears can be made much smaller, since the teeth are finer, and they also run quieter. Larger, heavier cars use 32p because the lower pitch gears can take higher loads without stripping.

Thank you for explaining not just answering.

RC Competitor
    Building up a roller is an awsome option. I did the same with my rusty. Givesnypu an opertunity to use left over parts and or the parts you want not just what comes in an rtr.
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

I wanted to do a roller but buying just a body and tires id have been over what a brand new one costs.. So I decided to go with a new one. I got the red one. Ill put my vxl stuff in it from my 2wd slash and put my used xl5 stuff back in my slash. Im okay going this route too cause ill be able to keep my spare parts as well.

That's also pretty awesome! Doesn't the RTR come with a motor and ESC?

Yes. But its the xl5 system. Ill take the new xl5 system and put it away and use the old xl5 system from my slash 2wd to put back in my slash 2wd. Ill use my vxl system thats currently in my slash in the rustler once I get it.

Gnome sayin?

Ah, I see. That's probably a smart thing to do, but before you put it away, you should probably also test it first to see if it works. That way, if anything has issues, it will be covered by the Traxxas warranty.

Good point. Ill probably plug a battery into it and run it to see if it all works properly, than ill swap electronics.