RC Racer

Nitro engine ceramic coating

Has anyone tried ceramic coating the piston and cylinder head of a nitro engine? I'm curious on how it would effect performance.

Haven't heard of that ever before in my life for nitro engines. In my years in nitro, I've found the real gains to be made are from 'porting', crankshaft mods, and balancing engine internals, in that order IMO. But it all goes out the window if you can't tune. Who knows though, maybe some material sciences would do modern nitro motors good, but probably at a huge cost.

I usually wondered how 0.12-.21 size motors would handle rings and non-tapered liners, like the air-bound nitro counterparts. Probably no increase in power, but easier to work on, cold start, but who knows lol.

RC Racer
    I figured ceramic coating wouldn't increase power by much. I have ported a few nitro engines before and have seen some massive power increases. What I am hoping that a ceramic coating would help with is keeping the engine cool. When you have an engine like mine that has been ported for over 1.5x the power it could be really nice for a 100+ degree day.

The problem with piston rings is that they "flutter" at high rpms. So the highest speed I have ever heard of a ringed airplane engine running at is around 17k rpm. So you will never see a fast pylon racing airplane with a ringed engine.

Well yeah a pylon motor is a different story lol.

I am definitely interested in nitro engine mods that would reduce the temps. I too often play nitro in 100 degree weather, and after long enough, it just gets heat soaked. So if there were ways to inherently make a nitro motor either resist heating up or dissipate heat significantly more effectively, that would be super rad.

However, laws of thermodynamics state that the closer the engine temp is to ambient temps, the less it can run efficiently. But Im sure there's some clever materials sciences that could make it better.

The heat down here in Phoenix paired with the dust of the desert just make it so hard to keep the motor cool. I usually have to dust off the engine every couple tanks to maintain a good level of cooling.

Cool to hear someone thinking outside the box on here tho!

-Mike

RC Racer
    The cool part about ceramic coating the cylinder head and piston crown is that it helps the exhaust retain more heat. So it can be more efficient and run cooler.

Well if no one has tried it I may sacrifice my half dead trx 3.3 engine. I have some piston/cylinder head insulating ceramic coating that I am testing on a paramotor engine and I have so much extra that I don't know what to do with it...

Man that would be really interesting if you do it! I don't know how the EGT's compare between nitro motors and paramotor engines, or how it might interact with the coating, but it would be really neat to see you do it. If you do, post it up! That would be rad.

-Mike