RC Qualifier

Front big bores - no rebound

Hello, not sure what I'm missing, but my front Traxxas big bore shocks are not rebounding. I took them apart and changed the oil. When I put the oil in, bleed, and test, there's still no rebound without a spring. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

RC Champion
    Check to see if the shaft is bent

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Check to see if the shaft is bent

Both shocks don't rebound and look straight.

RC Champion
    Have you taken the shafts out of the shock and looked at them to confirm that they're not bent?

There probably isnt quite enough fluid in the shock to push it back. I just refilled my shocks and found that if i didnt have enough fluid, there was no rebound. But if i had too much, i couldn't compress the shock. Theres a fine line and you just gotta figure it out thats all. Make sure there's not any air bubbles when you close it back up.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Gotta ask, but when filled and determined all was well, where was the piston, mid stroke? If compressed, that's the problem.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe I emptied them, re-filled, and tested wrong. Can someone tell me how to empty, refill, bleed, and test shocks? Thanks.

I dump out the old fluid. Then fill it to the top. Wait a minute. Pump the shock slowly. Youll notice some fluid dissapears. Add more until it reaches the top. Pump some more. Wait until the bubbles go away. Put the shock top back on. Pump and see hoe it feels. If theres no rebound. Add more fluid. If its so tight you cant compress it, soak some up with the tip of a paper towel. And repeat until you get the compression and rebound your looking for.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Honestly, Iím not sure having much rebound before putting the spring back on is necessary. When I had to replace my shock caps from blowing them off (aluminum now of course) I watched a bunch of vids of experienced YouTubers on how to do it. All agreed little to no rebound.
    Check this vid out from Mark Santa Maria. Heís an experienced basher, loves Traxxas... races semi pro for Tekno. Hereís a link to his vid adding a bump stop to shorten shocks to reduce roll (just cheap upgrade for the Ultra shocks) and he addresses this very thing. At our track where I run Slash and AE buggy the tech said he doesnít even get any rebound.
    Hereís the vid. Based on what Iím seeing you are fine. Just my 2 cents worth tho and by no means gospel. I just know my Slash has zero rebound (without the spring) and does well on the track. (For what it is) hope that helps.
    Jimmy
    https://youtu.be/v3VqSVNpmzc