RC poster

Max 6 and Velineon 3500 Motor

Hello, I currently have a stampede 4x4 and modified it to become a vxl version with the esc and the motor. I would like to know if I could change out the esc to be the max 6. I know itís overkill but my question here is would it work nicely, in other words if I use the hobby wing max 6 esc on 6s attached to the motor will I kill the motor or will it be fine? If I will kill the motor what motor should I put in that would work nicely along with it and it can handle 6s along with fit into the chassis fairly well? Also what would be like the around speeds I would be getting with this using a 11/54 gear mesh Iím looking for around 65ish miles per hour (I just want it to be fast). Sorry if this was awkward to read it was my first post and Iím new to the hobby.

Thanks, D3x

The VXL motor would work fine with the Max 6 ESC, but you would not be able to use the VXL motor on 6s. The motor has too high of a KV to use that much voltage. Even with 3s, the motor is already approaching it's limits.

Are you dead-set on using 6s? I think that even with a large 8th scale motor, you would have difficulty using more than 4s or so in the Stampede 4x4. It's not a huge truck.

The Stampede can handle 3670 and 3674 motors very well. Due to the diameter of the motor you will have to use at least 17/54 or so just to be able to get the gears to mesh (otherwise it will hit the center drive-shaft before it gets close enough to mesh gears). Even then, I don't think that you would want to go much above 4s.

I run 4s in mine with a 2400kv 3674 motor (which is larger than the motor in the MAXX) and it is already overkill for the vehicle. It only works well because I've dropped hundreds of dollars in upgrades into the truck such as MIP X-Duty CVDs, revo-spec slipper clutch, and much more. With 4s power, without the other upgrades, you will spend more time working on your truck than you spend using it.

RC poster
    Thank you for your quick reply. So you are saying I shouldn't go to 6s but I should use a 4s motor that its size is 3670 and around 2400kv? Ill look for a good motor and battery to run it.

Thanks, D3x

At most, you could go with a max8, but you would likely want to find a motor with kv at 2200 or less to run 6S. Running 6S though means a heavy pack, so you'd likely be better off just using a 2400kv and go with lighter 4S pack.

It can be more challenging to fit a 1/8th motor and 1/8 esc in the stampede.

I installed a slash chassis on mine and run a 1/8th motor/esc (BLX185/150Amp and 4074 2200kv motor) in it, but only on 3S. It has plenty of speed/power for the bashing I do. It was pretty easy fitting 1/8th electronics on a slash chassis.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Thank you both for trying to help me! What I’m going to do is what GotNoRice said and just do 4s on the stampede.

Thanks again, D3x