RC poster

X-maxx Avid Bearing Kit

Just curious if anyone has used the avid x-maxx 8s specific bearing kit? In mine the 15x24x5 ( outter hub) bearings are metal while the rest are rubber sealed. Should i just leave the metal shielded bearings in the bag and stick with my stock ones or is there a reason they used them in the kit?

I don't know if the metal shield bearings would work any better than the rubber shielded ones, but I do know that the rubber shielded bearings are cheaper, and easier to keep maintained.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Champion
    Between steel/rubber, maybe prefer rubber, cheaper to replace.

RC Racer
    Agreed, rubber sealed far superior. Metal shield won’t protect against dust and grime. So they send to blow out easier.

Haven’t tried avid yet, but I’ve heard there not bad. I personally am using fast eddies bearings, probably comparable to avid.

Though, lately if been replacing individual bearing with Jim’s bearings.

https://jimsbearings.com/products/traxxas-x-maxx

For some reason, these bearings are great. I typically blow out the front inner bearings on the steering knuckle. So far it’s been a month with Jim’s bearings in the front steering knuckle without incedent, as to previously almost every session.

When yours poop the bed, I’d definitely give these a try.
    Last edited by afreek1000; 10-03-2020 at 08:30 AM.

RC poster
    thanks for the replies, I let my lhs that i purchased them from know, he originally figured the sealed bearings were for the diffs and is looking to replace the metal ones for rubber shielded. I just thought it was an odd move on avids part.

FYI The AVID bearing kits are customized to what you choose. You can pick whatever type bearing you want for the size you want. If the kit came with metal shielded bearings, it is because it was ordered that way. It's in no way the fault of AVID if the person that ordered the kit ordered metal shielded instead of rubber seals.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    FYI The AVID bearing kits are customized to what you choose. You can pick whatever type bearing you want for the size you want. If the kit came with metal shielded bearings, it is because it was ordered that way. It's in no way the fault of AVID if the person that ordered the kit ordered metal shielded instead of rubber seals.
    yepp thats why the lhs is swapping them out for me, i like avid bearings, i swap them around in my slash before winter and after winter and they are a solid product no issues

Glad to hear they're swapping for you. I've used their Revolution bearings and they have held up great. (Rubber seal on one side and metal on the other).

RC Enthusiast
    I blew out both rear inner bearing in just couple weeks after buying my XMaxx and upgraded to the RPM kit and so far so good. Also just ordered bunch of bearings from Avid just to have for backup.