RC Competitor

Angry Tire foam inserts for X-Maxx

Hi all.

So had my X-Maxx for just over a month now and every tyre bar one have had the tyre foams rip and cause flat spots and handling issues. The wheels and rubber tires are in great condition.

Couldn't find out where to buy just the foams on their own from so bought another set of wheels and tires. These have now gone as well.

On the 2 new wheel/tires i bought all glued and complete, I did not run in moist conditions as this can cause the foams to perish so only god knows whats going on!

I am in the UK and just want to find out where i can buy just the foams from. Or if needed, the best foam to buy to try and make my own.

I have managed to heat up one of the tires with a heat gun and have un stuck the tires and the foam it totalled inside.

If anyone can help, it would be great as i now have 5 wheels with ripped tires and can't really use em!

I m thinking of going for some Louise tires from eurorc.com but would love to be able to get my original wheels back in action.

Thanks

Hal

There is a post here that talks about this. And how to. Search for it. Know @Flux Capacitor was posting about this.

Basicly get couch foam from fabric / craft store and make your own.

Sure youtube vids as well on how to make your own foam cutter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The thread was HERE.

I tried to make the high density foam from Foamma work in the stock tires and the stock tires being re-glued just couldn't handle the heavier foams. The tires just started separating from the rims in several places.

If I possibly started instead with all brand new materials and tried it with the stock wheels and tires, I might of got somewhere and been able to do a follow-up in that thread. As it turns out, it was a complete disaster and the only fix was to have a tire that is mounted to the rim like the Badlands MX43's do where a hex actually goes through the bead of the tire.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-03-2020 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

In that video that one guy made a wire cutter. It's very nice (he did a good job making it), but I just use a band saw. The advantage is it works just as good, plus you can use a band saw on other things. You using a wire cutter on other things is kind of limited.

The other thing is, you can make foams two ways. One is by cutting foam in one round piece with a hole in the middle, and the other (the Traxxas Xmaxx stock foam way) is by cutting out different size rectangular pieces and gluing them together to form round foams. To do it the Traxxas stock way, take apart one of your Traxxas stock foams, and use it as a pattern to make your other foams. To glue them (like I suggested in that other post) use 1300L or Contact Cement. I personally use 1300L.

If you decide to use a band saw (rather than making and using a wire cutter) to cut your center whole, use a heated up a copper water pipe (using a Plummer's torch), and press it down though the center of the round cut foam you made. From there, you move the heated pipe around the wall (of the hole you are making) until you get your hole the diameter you want. That's how I do it, and I can say that it works pretty good.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-04-2020 at 03:47 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor

Thumbs up Louise Cyclone for X-Maxx

Sorry for the late reply guys. I have managed to un-glue one of the tires using a heat gun and the foam was totalled! I will have a look in to some furniture foam and see if I can make a 2 stage foam for my x-maxx wheels. Just a shame you canít buy the foams on their own. Seems a common issue.

I have now bought some of these for my x-maxx and they are a shed load better than stock wheels and tires. With no ballooning at all!

https://www.eurorc.com/product/21694...e-x-maxx-mft-2

They have loads more grip on loose gravel surfaces like the small stone chippings on a BMX track and same with grass lands, going up hills and off roading in woods as well.

Yes I know they are heavier than stock wheels it I have been driving a lot harder just recently at the local BMX track with jumps ending up the height of. 2nd story window and when landing, done no damage to the x-maxx other than throwing some fan blades of my max5 esc

Local BMX track: -https://goo.gl/maps/YjPV8Z5TmTfFusY66

I am going to look at my original tires and will try some furniture foam to see how it all pans out.

Thanks for the replies.

Hal

RC Champion
    So running these homemade foams for over 2 years now on our Emaxx which has way more power then our Xmaxx and not one single issue. I never vented the rubber and never covered the vent holes in the rims and were constantly running in water.
    The foam is dense enough that water never seems to be an issue because at the end of the run we squish the tire flat with no water coming out.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ooning-Options