Slowing down the vxl for small kids.

I happened upon a great auction for a summit vxl for my kids and I thought long term it was the better option than the titan version. But now I am worried about too much speed, my youngest is 3 and he is either throttle or steering never both at the same time, and my older is 7 and she does pretty well with controlling their toy rc rock crawler probably 3-5 mph in the grass and non-proportional controls.

I only plan to run nimh packs and I already figured on getting assortments of smaller pinions. Does the summit also have the gearing that can be swapped in the trans to slow it down more? I'm not familiar with this platform at all, but I wanted something 4wd and easy to find parts for. I had an erevo 1/10th scale way back, but it has definitely been a while since I have been into RCs.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Ruben
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

You can flip the tranny to slow it down, but easier to just swap in a smaller pinion and put the ESC into training mode.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I flipped the tranny on my mini summit and lowered the gearing and it was still quick on 3s in training mode. I take my mini's to family gatherings so all ages can have some fun. I would say the best way to control speed going from one driver to the next would be the Traxxas BT link. It only took a minute or so to go from an experience driver speed to speed slow enough an inexperienced 3yo couldn't hurt themselves or bystanders.

IMO I would flip tranny gears and get the Blue Tooth link.
    (flipped gears help the summit if running in grass)

OP: What batteries are you planning on running? After you do the above (tranny flip, smaller pinion and BT Link app), you can run a 2S LiPo or a NiMH battery.

Your kids are going to have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    OP: What batteries are you planning on running? After you do the above (tranny flip, smaller pinion and BT Link app), you can run a 2S LiPo or a NiMH battery.

Your kids are going to have fun!
    Nimh I'm not looking at stepping into lipo again. We have a small yard so we don't need big runtimes. And I dont want the speed of 3s. When the kids learn control and restraint I'll increase the speeds and maybe get some bigger batteries. I appreciate all the input!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Nvm it was already said and I missed it.