Thread: Self Righting

RC Enthusiast

Self Righting

Good morning all. The self- righting feature on my Pede 4x4 has stopped working. Any thoughts on what might be the fix? thanks.

Maybe not a great answer, but really, the best fix is to learn how to do it yourself. There is nothing special about the self-righting feature, it's just going back and forth between the throttle and the brake a few times. You apply the throttle, get the tires spinning, and then the inertia from the rotating mass of the tires is transferred to the vehicle itself when you apply the brake. Really no different than a kid on a swing-set using the inertia from moving their legs to swing back and forth.

Once you get the hang of it it's very easy. Even better, you have the benefit of being able to maximize the rocking motion based on visual stimuli, so that you can right your vehicle with less stress on the tires and drive-line components relative to the brute-force method that the automatic feature uses. It's also nice not being tied to the stock Traxxas electronics in case you want to put something else in there.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I use self right all the time and I was under the assumption that it uses the gyro from TSM to determine when throttle needs to be used (Self right only comes on models with TSM).

Though like you stated it puts a lot of stress on drive-line components (Not to mention it scratches up my limited E-revo body), I really only use it for the wow factor, like if it flips in front of some people it's always cool to see their reaction when my helpless turtle of a car flips back over on it's own. Other than that I will just take the walk of shame and flip it my self.

I recently tore up a tire so i just went ahead and purchased a new set of trenchers and I realised that my stock Trenchers were starting to come off the rims and I have a feeling that that is partially due to the self righting.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I just asked a Traxxas employee and they didn't have an answer to the gyro being used for self righting. I only say that I think it's used because it is if to me that it always knows when to apply throttle but one can only assume.