Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Smile Revo 3.3 or nitro slash

Iím am looking at a Revo 3.3 or the nitro slash. What do you guys think I am mostly going to be off road on dirt roads I am look at the slash because I want more speed the Revo has 40+ were the slash has 50+ I will mostly be off road or on a verry bumpy paved road can you please give me advice can I lift the slash? I love the Revo but I crave the slash speed and I will be running 30% nitro I know the Revo is really capable but I really like the slash as well help me choose any help would be appreciated

RC Qualifier
    May I ask why you are choosing nitro to begin with? I assume you've had experience with nitro vehicles.

RC poster
    I have a lot of experience on motors gas and diesel I live on a farm so I know this kind of stuff and I i definitely want a nitro I will be more familiar

RC poster
    Ok so I am going to get the Revo 3.3 can anyone give me any info on bigger engines that will drop in the Revo 3.3?

RC poster
    I believe there are still some engines that directly drop in to the Revo 3.3 but there is also a big block installation kit that Traxxas offers.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5360X

I have no experience with this kit though.

RC poster
    Get a Revo. If you decide to put a big block in, its pretty easy!

RC Racer
    Or keep your 3.3 engine and port it. It opened a whole new world of power on my Revo. Then when the 3.3 engine goes bad you could drop in a big block.

RC poster
    Can anyone tell me we’re to get a revo online everywhere is out of stock including traxxas

RC Qualifier
    They might be phasing it out, I wonder if Traxxas is going to produce any new nitro models or if they are done with Nitro.

RC poster
    What engines will drop in the revo

I was worried they are going to discontinue the revo I called them and they said they wonít be in stock till January

And what is the best fuel you recommend I want a 30% nitro blend
    Last edited by Double G; 10-09-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: merge, use edit button to add more

RC poster
    The O.S. .21 TM is likely a step up from the 3.3 but it is pricy. I've had a couple engines from them which I enjoyed.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/o.s.-.2...sm12241/p17382

The only other drop in I know of is one from Dynamite but it looks like it is not an upgrade from the 3.3, only a replacement.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...s/DYN0700.html

There used to be more drop in options back when I was last into nitro but now that nitro isn't so popular the options have seemed to dry up. I have no fuel recommendations since it's been several years since I've drive my nitro RC cars (can't do around where I currently live).

The 21tm truly is a drop in upgrade. I didn't change anything else except putting on a smaller clutch bell, because I wanted more acceleration, but had nothing to do with the engine. The 21tm is plenty fast and powerful even on 20 percent, and tunes and holds good temps perfectly. It is worth every single cent. I was so hesitant to buy it, since its almost 300 dollars after tax, but man I cannot tell you how much more fun I've had with my new revo since upgrading over the 3.3 engine. My 3.3 blew a rear bearing that traxxas refused to warranty in only one quart of fuel, and mind you, I am not new to nitro by any stretch of the imagination. So I bit the bullet and got the OS, and it truly is great in every way.

My 3.3 would overheat really easily, made less power, was geared too tall from factory (IMO), and tuning it was always a battle. The 21tm has just enough power to not damage the stock transmission and driveline if you drive right, but will still wheelie and mob through tall grass like nothing.

I hated spending the money, but I am now more glad than ever that I did. If you are at all having not a fun time with the 3.3 engine, strongly consider this upgrade.

-Mike

RC poster
    I suppose the O.S. price tag won't be so bad if you replace the 3.3 immediately after getting the truck and manage to sell the 3.3 on eBay or something.

RC Qualifier
    Did you consider buying a Slayer? I see they too are on backorder until the end of December.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    No I am going to buy the revo and next week I am going to get 2 tmaxx’s a 2.5 and a 3.3 for 300$ The tmaxx 2.5 has a blown moter but the 3.3 runs with no problems but I am still geting the revo and will a LRP ZR.32X .32 Spec 4 Monster Truck Nitro Engine work in the revo and Maxx it’s a .32 which is quite a bit bigger than a 3.3 I will not buy the slayer due to the 2.5 inches of ground clearance which is to low for my likeing what do you people think?

RC poster
    Will a Dynamite .28 or a 3HP .28 Nitro Turbo Big Block Race Engine work?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcat racer View Post
    No I am going to buy the revo and next week I am going to get 2 tmaxxís a 2.5 and a 3.3 for 300$ The tmaxx 2.5 has a blown moter but the 3.3 runs with no problems but I am still geting the revo and will a LRP ZR.32X .32 Spec 4 Monster Truck Nitro Engine work in the revo and Maxx itís a .32 which is quite a bit bigger than a 3.3 I will not buy the slayer due to the 2.5 inches of ground clearance which is to low for my likeing what do you people think?
    Just curious, i thought since you considered a Nitro Slash why not a Slayer.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Just curious, i thought since you considered a Nitro Slash why not a Slayer.

Sorry that’s what I meant slayer pro 4x4

RC poster
    Will a Dynamite .28 or a 3HP .28 Nitro Turbo Big Block Race Engine work?

The biggest issue with running a big block engine is the mounting and starting. Most big blocks with a pull start will hit the upper A-arm in the suspension when mounted. You could remove the pull start and go to a bumpstart method to gain the clearance needed. But then you would need to set up a bumpstart box to work with the Revo's chassis.

Installing a big block engine in a Revo chassis is going to take some fabrication, as they are not going to be a direct drop-in. Nitro model engine's are different than your "gas or diesel" engines when it comes to tuning. Get some tuning experience before jumping in and modifying to fit a big block engine.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The biggest issue with running a big block engine is the mounting and starting. Most big blocks with a pull start will hit the upper A-arm in the suspension when mounted. You could remove the pull start and go to a bumpstart method to gain the clearance needed. But then you would need to set up a bumpstart box to work with the Revo's chassis.

Installing a big block engine in a Revo chassis is going to take some fabrication, as they are not going to be a direct drop-in. Nitro model engine's are different than your "gas or diesel" engines when it comes to tuning. Get some tuning experience before jumping in and modifying to fit a big block engine.
    +1/ There's a learning curve with RC no matter how good a mechanic you are. Nitro adds even more. The 3.3 is a good engine. Run it and learn how to tune, then drop in a big block if you want. High HP engines on 30% nitro can be tricky to tune. I'd recommend running the 3.3 on 20% to start.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtamu-redux View Post
    +1/ There's a learning curve with RC no matter how good a mechanic you are. Nitro adds even more. The 3.3 is a good engine. Run it and learn how to tune, then drop in a big block if you want. High HP engines on 30% nitro can be tricky to tune. I'd recommend running the 3.3 on 20% to start.
    Ok thanks for the advice this Thursday I am geting two used tmaxx’s for 300$ A 3.3 and a 2.5 the 2.5 has a blown motor can anyone tell me if this is a good motor or not �� https://www.activepowersports.com/dy...s-vehicle-700/ for the 2.5 I really like this motor and it’s cheaper than the traxxas one.

RC Racer
    It appears to be a dinamite engine. I personally haven't had any experience with their engines but wasn't too impressed with their electric motor end esc that came in one of my rc cars.

One option is going with the Traxxas power up program. Basically you go to your local hobby shop, give them your old engine and your new Traxxas engine is 50% off. I did that with an already dead trx2.5 engine that I had practiced porting and pinching the sleeve and I basically completely destroyed that engine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    It appears to be a dinamite engine. I personally haven't had any experience with their engines but wasn't too impressed with their electric motor end esc that came in one of my rc cars.

One option is going with the Traxxas power up program. Basically you go to your local hobby shop, give them your old engine and your new Traxxas engine is 50% off. I did that with an already dead trx2.5 engine that I had practiced porting and pinching the sleeve and I basically completely destroyed that engine.
    I’m gong to go get the tmaxx’s Tomorrow tell me more about the power up program do most hobby shops do it?

From Traxxas's main page: https://traxxas.com/powerup
    The Super Derecho

RC poster

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post

Ok so I called my local hobby shop and they do the power up program a a new 2.5 engine would be 90$ so I will pick up the old engine and trade it in on my my way home my closest hobby shop is 2 hours away and I am geting the tmaxxís 25 miles from there can anyone give me advice on how to do a deep clean on a rc they are pretty dirty can anyone tell me what they use and how to do it Iím super excited

RC Racer
    Download the exploded views from the Traxxas website. They have them for both the 2.5 and 3.3 T-maxx. They're a big help in seeing how the cars are put together. Then you have to decide just how much work you want to do. You can blow them off with an air compressor (don't blow air into the bearings) and wipe them and get them pretty clean. You can remove the engine, battery box, and receiver box if you want to get the exterior really clean. Small toothbrush is great for getting dirt off plastic, can use a little Simple Green on the A-arms etc. Anything further than that requires more mechanical skill. Shock rebuild, bearing replacement, gear replacement if anything is stripped in the transmission. if you have to do any of that study the exploded views and than pay attention to how everything fits together when you take it apart. There are small shims on some parts and they're important. Take a photo with your phone as you take things apart, it might be useful when you put it back together.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtamu-redux View Post
    Download the exploded views from the Traxxas website. They have them for both the 2.5 and 3.3 T-maxx. They're a big help in seeing how the cars are put together. Then you have to decide just how much work you want to do. You can blow them off with an air compressor (don't blow air into the bearings) and wipe them and get them pretty clean. You can remove the engine, battery box, and receiver box if you want to get the exterior really clean. Small toothbrush is great for getting dirt off plastic, can use a little Simple Green on the A-arms etc. Anything further than that requires more mechanical skill. Shock rebuild, bearing replacement, gear replacement if anything is stripped in the transmission. if you have to do any of that study the exploded views and than pay attention to how everything fits together when you take it apart. There are small shims on some parts and they're important. Take a photo with your phone as you take things apart, it might be useful when you put it back together.
    I just want to make it physically look clean if I need to replace parts I will how do I port a engine aka how to get more engine power?

...how to get more engine power?
    The easiest would be to get the 3.3 engine with the power up instead of the 2.5r.

I just want to make it physically look clean if I need to replace parts I will how do I port a engine aka how to get more engine power?
    https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car...engine%22.html

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...difying-engine
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Is there any amazing tuned pipes you guys know about that preform amazing without breaking the bank
    I will probably try also to port my engine myself I got a blown trx 2.5 to practice onand is that rbinavatons supercharger a bomb waiting to go boomwhat are physical engine proformance parts that you guys know work

RB Innovations supercharger: no. Makes the engine too lean, untunable and will blow it.

THS Racing pipe. Losi 3.4 carburetor.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    RB Innovations supercharger: no. Makes the engine too lean, untunable and will blow it.

THS Racing pipe. Losi 3.4 carburetor.
    Will these run on an OS .21TM?

Pipe yes. O.S. carb is superior to the Losi.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Very true. The stock carb relies on the venturi to create a negative pressure to suck the fuel. As soon as you super charge it, you will loose most of not all of that negative pressure which makes the engine lean and untunable. What I want to try is running the carb into the supercharger and running the supercharger straight into the engine. This would allow the engine to be tunable. After that you would need to increase exhaust back pressure so it doesn't blow all the extra fuel/air right out the back.

RC poster
    Ok what is the best cheap drop in motors you can buy for the tmax 2.5 and 3.3 and are there any other pipes out there?and what does a LOSI carb help with?

RC poster
    Will a Toyan engine work in a tmaxx 2.5/3.3 https://www.banggood.com/Toyan-FS-S1...p-1550268.html let me know?!

Very few drop-in. Traxxas 2.5, 3.3; Dynamite .19T Mach 2 and the O.S. .21TM (which according to O.S.'s site shows up in their discontinued list).
    Last edited by Double G; 10-20-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Very few drop-in. Traxxas 2.5, 3.3; Dynamite .19T Mach 2 and the O.S. .21TM (which according to O.S.'s site shows up in their discontinued list).
    any Novarossi engines work?

RC poster
    any Novarossi engines work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast